Betrayal: Has It Been Cancelled? Will There Be Season Two?

Betrayal canceled? season two?ABC has been searching for a ratings hit to fill the Sundays at 10pm timeslot. Turns out that Betrayal isn’t that show but could it still return for a second season? Has it already been cancelled?

Betrayal revolves around professional photographer Sara (Hannah Ware) and top attorney Jack (Stuart Townsend) who, despite being married to other people, have a torrid affair. Things become even more complicated when Sara’s husband and Jack end up on the opposite sides of a murder trial. The rest of the cast includes Henry Thomas, Chris Johnson, Wendy Moniz, Braeden Lemasters, Elizabeth McLaughlin, and James Cromwell.

The series debuted in September and got off to a slow start with a 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.16 million total viewers. The numbers got even worse in week two, dropping more than 24%. In week three, they dropped another 26%.

Should Betrayal be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In short, the ratings were awful but the network didn’t pull the series off the air and a rep even said that ABC was sticking with the show. Why? Likely because they’d already cancelled another new drama, Lucky 7, and fellow freshman Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was also tanking.

Though Betrayal’s ratings have leveled off, that doesn’t mean that ABC is any more satisfied with the numbers and there’s just no way that they’re bring it back for a second season. It’s still on the air because they didn’t have anything to take its place.

The network has released their plans for early 2014 and, to no surprise, Betrayal isn’t part of them. That’s not an outright cancellation but, realistically, there’s as much hope of this show coming back as there being a second season of Pan Am or GCB.

ABC has taken to calling Betrayal a limited series which wouldn’t have stopped them from making a second season had the ratings been stronger. Hopefully for the fans who have stuck with it, the show will end in a satisfying way and won’t not leave a bunch of unresolved storylines.

What do you think? Do you like Betrayal? Would you like to see a second season or does the show deserve to be cancelled? Why didn’t it catch on?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,064 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. patsy epperson says

I have watched every week of this show. I like it and I hope it is renewed. The ratings might not be up because if the time slot plus Nfl Sunday night football. I really hope Sara lives and Karsten needs to pay for everything he has done to people his whole life including when he had a girlfriend and he killed the man. I don’t believe in adultery but some people belong together. I would like to see Sara and Jack finally together in the end. The son was protecting TJ. I can’t stand the old man Karsten.

2. Neeti says

I really like it. Lots of my friends do to. I can’t wait to come back on every week. What do they base their cancelations on? It would be great to see a season 2.

3. says

I’ve really enjoyed watching betrayal as well. At first, I wasn’t sure but, then I got hooked really bad. The last few episodes have been extraordinary. I even liked 666 park ave. but, that didn’t last either. I know betrayal is not on your list ABC for a second season but, maybe you could reconsider. If any Sundays at 10:00 p.m. you should definitely change your mind. Save this show for another season or maybe have some last episodes like you did with 666 park avenue.

4. tony says

Hated the show. The husband who did nothing wrong is the only one being punished. The show gives the impression that cheating is ok.

5. Kristin Wingate says

Betrayal is the ONLY series that I watch on television. It has an amazing cast, and is a refreshing change from all the cop/forensic dramas on tv. I blame ABC for this show’s failure due to lack of advertising and promotion. If they hyped the show a little more, I have no doubt that many others would have checked it out and been hooked too! Very upset that this show will not return after this season :(

6. gail belyea says

I think this show is fantastic! Sorry to hear the ratings aren’t higher. I really wish they
    would give this show another chance. Always found myself looking forward to Sundays
    because “Betrayal” was going to be on. Will be so disappointed if they cancel this show.

7. Lynda says

Abc hasnt had success in this time period so they aay since brothers and sisters. Pan am was good as was GCB ane now betrayl. Try starting a show at a normal time in a season and see ifbit catches on. Give these shows a chance. I am tired of sticking w abc. Abc doesnt carry through