Betrayal: Is the New ABC Series Worth Watching?

Betrayal TV show on ABC: cancel? renew?This evening, ABC is unveiling their new romantic drama, Betrayal. Is it a good companion series for Revenge? Will it become a hit, a moderate success, or will it be quickly cancelled? Is it worth watching?

Betrayal revolves around professional photographer Sara (Hannah Ware) and top attorney Jack (Stuart Townsend) who, despite being married to other people, have a torrid affair. Things become even more complicated when Sara’s husband and Jack end up on the opposite sides of a murder trial. The rest of the cast includes Henry Thomas, Chris Johnson, Wendy Moniz, Braeden Lemasters, Elizabeth McLaughlin, and James Cromwell.

Sound interesting? Here’s what some of the critics are saying:

NY Times: “It would help if Mr. Townsend and Ms. Ware had chemistry, but they’re basically generic-looking actors playing out an unsurprising dynamic.”

LA Times: “If only we cared. Even a little. Ware is lovely, but Sara is nothing more than a dress-up doll. Just as fetching in tank tops as that little red dress, possessing a cool and convenient warehouse studio, she is utterly unbelievable as photographer, mother or wife. She is certainly unbelievable as a woman carried away by passion; she and Townsend’s lack of chemistry threatens to form antimatter every time they look at each other.”

Salt Lake Tribune: “After watching the pilot episode of ABC’s Betrayal (Sunday, 9 p.m., Ch. 4), two questions immediately popped to mind. First, could that possibly have been as boring as I thought? Answer: Yes. And, second, what were ABC executives thinking when they picked this up as a series? Answer: I have absolutely no idea.”

Newsday: “Sorry, but to a large extent, Betrayal is all about TMI. The entire pilot is needed to set up the convoluted pretzel of a premise, but it also gives away a huge plot point in the opening seconds. That’s not only a risky move but a confusing one for the obvious reason that we don’t even know who Sara is at this point, let alone why anyone would want to shoot the poor woman. But this message is at least delivered: Betrayal is as much a mystery as romantic drama. Does Betrayal work on either level? So far, not really.”

Variety: “Barring an unexpected turn for the better, the show seems destined to generate more unintended giggles than heat (the ads should really say “ABC’s funniest new series!”). Because while TV has plenty of room for guilty pleasures, they should really be more satisfying than this.”

Washington Post: “So far, there’s not much here you don’t see coming from many miles away, and there’s barely enough chemistry between Ware and Townsend to make things bubble. If Betrayal wants to stick around, it better have some real surprises in store.”

USA Today: “Sex, treachery, murder: Betrayal is a show with everything – except decent writing, believable characters, and anything else that would provide a reason to watch.”

NY Post: “Can anyone act here? The answer is yes. Before Betrayal, Ware’s most notable role was as Kelsey Grammer’s drug-addicted daughter in the defunct Starz series Boss. In a TV season where some seriously lazy casting is hindering the new shows, she’s a breath of fresh air: she’s subtle, assured and has an ethereal allure. How did she get a job on ABC, known for its cavalcade of wavy-haired bimbos? The Dublin-born Townsend, who joins the list of foreign-born actors with a mastery of the American accent, manages to be available, passionate and furtive all at the same time. If anyone’s capable of Betrayal on this promising new drama, it’s Jack McAllister.”

What do you think? Are you planning to watch Betrayal? If you’ve already seen it, will you watch again? Would you recommend it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

307 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. mary says

kathi
    you said
    There’s only 1 teeny tiny thing about B. that I don’t like—–where did the writers come up with “diamond rose” as a substitute for “jinx”? It sounds so silly. Have you heard of it before? Extremely minute complaint!

I know ST says….I thought it was jinx…..I have never heard of either one.
    Let me know how N Stalker is……..nice to know your guide highlights mthe show…
    and my highlight of the week will be Sunday at 9 p m!!!!

Are you on MST?

Tomorrow’s episode looks so good. Too bad the show isn’t 2-3 hours long.

I’ve seen Night Stalker so I knew I’d like it and it would be worth the cost, which was quite cheap. The other two movies I’ve purchased, but haven’t received yet, are two I haven’t seen. ST looks so much younger in these movies so looks wonderful young and older.

I’ve heard “jinx” all my life. I looked it up online at several places and it’s explained but diamond rose isn’t mentioned anywhere. Perhaps I should send that question to ABC writers? Maybe HW and her real sister used it.

• mary says

Kathi……..yes…could be that she and her sister used that. I will have to look it up to see why jinx is used ?
        Just read that since ST and CT broke up..he has been very private about any relationships.
        May have to watch …another episode later….LOL
        I live in the Central time zone. ..in Wisconsin.

• says

Guess I was thinking that Wisconsin was farther west. I have a good friend from there. You also said you watched Betrayal at 9pm and that’s when we watch it here in NM.

Go to Wikipedia for the lowdown on “jinx.” So, you guys didn’t do that when you were growing up?

2. mary says

Kathi……
    you said……
    I’ve written a lot of places too. They say that for every person who writes, there are 25 fans so here’s hoping. They just cancelled Ironside after 3 episodes and we’re on our 4th so here’s hoping!

We just have to keep hoping….today I watched all three eps again..!!!!

good humor too..with that gal who does the worm stuff. ..when ST says don’t call me that. etc…

• says

Thanks for these links. On the left/blue side, click on “View all listings for Betrayal” and there’s a schedule that goes to Nov. 17. I clicked on one of those listed and it gives a description, no video (darn).

• says

I love that IT girl but at first was worried that Jack might like her. After we got to know her, we know that won’t happen. Isn’t she cute? ST seems too young to have those kids but he’s actually not. I guess we haven’t seen him with kids in any other movies.

• mary says

in that NY Post preview of the show…..the guy said Jack was too young to have teens. He has been with the same gal since he was 19.
        also….wonder what Jack did…that involved him in the TJ accident….Carsten said..
        we have lied before in a family tragedy.
        So much to have solved on the show…..just hope it goes the 13 shows !!!! we deserve it…!

• says

Jack’s old enough but ST doesn’t seem old enough to have the twins.

There is probably years and years worth of dirt in the Karsten family and we don’t have a clue about Hannah and her husband.

Who do you think shoots Hannah and who is the man with her in the ambulance? I think it’s Elaine and Jack.

• mary says

kathi……I hope it is Jack in the ambulance….I try to listen to the voice..but hard to tell..and when you see the person running ahead…he ducks his head.
            as to who shot Hannah..could be Elaine…but in one preview..someone said she is
            getting dangerous…..unless they were talking about Connie.
            Maybe we will never know !!!

• mary says

yes….he said she was getting dangerous. Probably that guy who took the pics of Jack and Sara at the boat…..could have done it. He is one nasty guy ! must be related to the family somehow…a child of Karsten’s ????

just saw this….on wikepedia

episodes…….

“Pilot” Patty Jenkins David Zabel September 29, 2013 5.16[6]

“…Except When the Bear is Chasing You” Michael Morris David Zabel & Lisa Zwerling October 6, 2013 3.90[7]

“If You Want the Fruit…” Constantine Makris David Zabel & Lisa Zwerling October 13, 2013 2.88[8]

“…That is Not What Ships Are Built For”[9] Jim McKay Paul Davies & David Zabel October 20, 2013

“…Nice Photos”[10] Stephen Cragg Yahlin Chang October 27, 2013

“…The Things That Drive Men Crazy”[11] Paul McCrane Julia Cho November 3, 2013

“…We’re Not Going to Baileys Harbor”[5] November 10, 2013

“…One More Shot”[5] November 17, 2013

• says

This is the info I just wrote to you about but not in the same format. So, we have a few more weeks……………………I wonder how many episodes they’ve filmed?

• says

Yes, so I hope they’ve written the scripts so someone can tell us if the show is cancelled.

I just remembered what I see as good news: Last night while watching Grey’s Anatomy, I saw several ads mentioning Betrayal! One was for Revenge. It said, “and watch Betrayal afterward.” Another said, “Now is the time to get involved with the most addictive new drama.”

Combining all their Sunday night shows is the way to go so people will give Betrayal a try after Revenge.

3. denise says

yea give betrayal a chance put it on Saturday night you have nothing on Saturday, and what up with that they have great chemistry unless your under a rock, sorry but this sho is better then revenge, the actors there great, just look at stu and Hannah come on
    leave it on

4. mary says

By the way, I received Chaos Theory via Netflix today so guess what I’m watching tonight?????????????????? The DVDs I bought should arrive this weekend!

you wrote the above……hope you enjoy the movie..different role for ST.

I am going to reserve a few of his movies tomorrow at the library.

let’s hope the ratings do go up…as you said…..the way the next three weeks will go. I just don’t understand either…why the show is not promoted more.If they would show clips as they do for the other shows….that would help.

5. mary says

I could not believe my eyes when I read the Cheers and Jeers section in the recent TV Guide magazine I got in the mail yesterday.
    Jeers were given to…..Betrayal. They said one has to care for the characters and compared it to Scandal. They called it a lame show.
    I could not find an address to write to them…..so I did the next best thing…
    I emailed Matt Roush who does the reviews of shows.

askmatt@tvguidemagazine.com

and also wrote to…..

letters@tvguidemagazine.com

There are so many shows that could get Jeers…not Betrayal !!

• Kathi says

I agree with you. I watched part of Revenge on Sunday just to wait for Betrayal. It went so slowly then Betrayal flew by. I don’t understand why Scandal and Revenge are any better than Betrayal when all include affairs. Why doesn’t ABC do more to defend and promote this show?

It appears that we may have only 3 more episodes. I haven’t taken to a show like this for a long time and I’m truly unhappy that its future appears so bleak.

Thanks for those addresses. I’ll use them.

• mary says

I hate to think of being left in the middle of the story….and end up not knowing about Lou or Sara. You would think they could do the entire 13 episodes.
        The thing that is its competition…is football…and a show that is very popular…
        The Mentalist. I have never seen it. By Sunday eve I have had enough football.

• says

I have watched The Mentalist since it premiered and love it still. This past Sunday was an especially special episode but I watched it on Xfinity on Monday so I could watch Betrayal on Sunday, even knowing that I’d watch Betrayal time and time again! I’d forgotten about football being its competition but, there again, ABC could move it to another night. If they really cared about promoting it, they’d put it before or after one of their hits such as Scandal, which seems to be their favorite show. I sound bitter, don’t I? I think I already said that when I’m on Xfinity, they advertise the same shows over and over and never once mention Betrayal. Why produce a show the network won’t promote?

• mary says

I went to the dentist today…and one of the first things the hygienist asked me was…
        do you watch Betrayal ? and yes indeed I do.
        I gave her the link info..to write.
        There are many out there who like the show. Let’s hope we get all the episodes !!!!

• says

I agree about the episodes. Perhaps if they know they’re getting cancelled, they’ll record an ending. It would be a shame because there are so many places these characters could take us. And when writers say the acting is poor….even if you discounted everyone else, you’ve got James Cromwell! I think everyone is good, though.

• mary says

yessssss please…..an ending so we know about Lou, Sara etc. I agree…love the cast..and the twists and turns we are seeing now. We can only hope for the best !!

• mary says

look forward to every show !! let’s do hope the ratings go up ! There is so much to the show.
                watched episode three again today.

• says

In answer to your previous question: No, I haven’t heard from Kim again.

I’ve watched each episode so many times and still enjoy them each time.

• says

Head in the Clouds is next in my Netflix line; I just returned Chaos Theory today so I will probably receive Head in the Clouds on Monday. Can’t wait!

I’m also looking for XIII: The Series but it’s not on DVD yet. Do you have hulu? Evidently you can watch the series there: http://sharetv.org/shows/xiii_the_series_ca?gclid=CMj_k7yImroCFbCDQgodDS4AJA

I prefer to watch on DVDs versus the PC and we don’t have Hulu. I did sign up on amazon to be informed as to when ST’s movie Simon Magus. He has other movies that won’t play on U.S. DVD players, but I’ll keep looking!

Can’t wait for Sunday–but the show rolls by so quickly!!!

• mary says

I don’t have HULU it used to be free. Used to watch a lot of shows on it.
                      I wrote to Reelz ch and asked about the Xlll series..if it would be re run.
                      I just ate a late supper….and watched the second episode …again. As you said..we could probably say every line…lol

• says

Good idea about writing to Reelz. Will be anxious to hear answer; crossing my fingers.

I received Night Stalker yesterday so started watching it last night; it’s one I bought so I have no hurry. Will get Head in the Clouds from Netflix on Monday.

Believe it or not, our local TV guide lists Betrayal as one of its “highlights” for the week! Anything to get viewers!

I’m also fascinated with the PBS series The Paradise and its male lead so have been rewatching those episodes too! Not getting much work done around here.

• mary says

OMG!!!! what a great show tonight ! awesome. Surprised about Connie. Wow.
      I am assuming that TJ did NOT kill Lou.
      Loved the ending…the two together.
      and from the preview….looks as if they are “found out.” Oh my !
      This show just cannot be canceled.Hope people watched the second and third episodes. I will be watching this one again. ..and again….lol.
      I went to the zimbio site…excellent.I wanted to post on his wall..but as I don’t
      do FBook..I could not.
      Hope you scrolled down on that site..to the story by Pinar..excellent points made.
      So true. I did go to his site..and posted a comment about what he wrote. Check
      it out.
      The pictures of ST are soooo good. He is a good actor also.
      I will do the reelz site you mentioned in a bit.

• says

Yes, wasn’t this episode good?! If more people watched it, they would see that the show isn’t entirely about an affair. Yes, Connie’s part in the mystery was so surprising to me, but if TJ didn’t kill Lou, who did? Was it Connie?

I’m confused about your comments. Please clarify. I don’t want to miss anything! Also, see my comment to ABC.
        do FBook..I could not.
        So true. I did go to his site..and posted a comment about what he wrote. Check
        it out.

• mary says

just got this from abc hope we help the show

Please reassure that that our Audience Relations Department is reading all of your feedback. We at WATCH ABC are really appreciate it.

Keep all the positive feedback coming!

I received this:

Dear WATCH ABC Viewer,

Thank you for contacting WATCH ABC. My name is Kim and I’ll be more then HAPPY to assist you. I understand that you do not want the to cancel “Betrayal” and then put on DVD,

WOW, “Betrayal” is one of my favorite shows as well. “Betrayal” premiered on 9/29. The schedule shows that it will run until 11/03.

Also, in regards to getting “Betrayal” on DVD, please follow the link below:

If you have any further questions or concerns, please reply to this email.

Thank you for using WATCH ABC!!
        Have a GREAT Day!!

Kimberly
        WATCH ABC Support

• mary says

great e mail from Kim….terrific. Even she likes it. If it is to run to that date in Nov…then that is NOT the 13 weeks it was scheduled for. I do hope it is not cut short. Did you write back to her..about the number of weeks??? 13 weeks would run into Dec.
          I will check that link she sent you..about a dvd later.

• says

If I remember correctly, there’s nothing about Betrayal in that link. I have noticed that on Netflix under ST, there’s a place for the Betrayal DVD when it comes out.

I did write back to Kim about the 13 weeks.

• says

I guess you got him and I got Kim.

6. mary says

kathi…….I replied to you….but typed in the wrong name….so here I go..again lol
    I do love S Townsend….looking forward to seeing Head in the Clouds. I have watched
    the first 2 eps of Betrayal several times.
    So glad you wrote to abc..hope many do.
    I see that on abc that Betrayal is now listed as HOT…and yes it is…lol.

• Kathi Jackson says

Is that “hot” description in the ads? I’ve watched both episodes so many times I’ve lost count. Wish we could FF through the scenes w/o ST but the entire shows are good. I’ve got several of his movies coming via Netflix and today purchased 3 from amazon.com. I really need to get a life!

• mary says

I know what you mean…about getting a life…lol.
        Let me know what movies you get and how they are. I have to watch Head in the Clouds…looks good. Also got the League of Ext. Gentlemen.
        Have not seen Night Stalker.
        I found ST’s website..very nice….and also signed in his guestbook. I also read some of his postings. Nice guy.
        I see you found it also…..I am not sure if they have anything to do with the sites..but he did make comments in his posts.

love the music…the Feel for me song….when they were in the studio…and also the music used at the start and end of episode two.

.when you pull up the abc shows……it will show those boxes for the shows…and it will say HOT for some….which includes Betrayal.

• Kathi Jackson says

I actually meant to say that I’ve signed on to ST’s Facebook page and wonder if it’s him that really responds. I’ve also seen his website and guess I’ll go back and sign the guestbook.

Saw a great ABC ad last night for the show.

Yes, I’ve seen these sites, just this morning, and was going to tell you about them. They are really good with terrific pictures.

I actually need a Betrayal “fix” every day now.

Just purchased 3 of ST’s movies and the CD with the “Feel For Me” song. Let me know if you discover ST’s series XIII for sale.

• Kathi Jackson says

Forgot to list the DVDs I purchased: Night Stalker, Shade, and Unhitched. I got About Adam from the library and watched it several times. It’s a darling movie and he’s adorable in it. Watch it if you haven’t. I’m hoping his show, XIII, will be released soon + some others of his I hear of but can’t get. Tomorrow I’ll get Trapped from Netflix.

• mary says

all the dvds you mention are at my library….I have two movies out now…will return them and get the ones you mentioned
            There is also one with Paradise in the title…will have to check it out. Colin Eggelsfield sp ? is in it also….He was in the movie Something Borrowed…..and other things on tv.

I checked for XIII but not there…maybe not released yet…It was on the Reelz channel?

• Kathi Jackson says

You’re lucky they’re all at your library. He’s made lots of other movies but they’re not released in the U.S. Guess we’ll just have to keep watch!

• mary says

Yes….there is Shooting Fish….The Best Man….have not checked the library for those yet.

I got a thank you today….from Lara who runs his website..thanking me for signing the guestbook and for the support.

I plan to order the cd with Feel for Me on it..by Foy Vance.

• mary says

I wrote to you…but did not see it get posted…

I got a thank you from Lara..who runs his website…..thanking me for signing
            his guestbook…and for the support.

There are other movies……Shooting Fish…the Best Man.

be sure to see Chaos Theory.

• Kathi Jackson says

Thanks for that info. I went to the site and saw the comments but no where to sign. I’ll look again. Did you happen to ask Lara if ST ever looks at the site?

If you haven’t already, you must go to Stuart’s page on imdb.com and click on “Self.” There are so many clips. When you get to “Reveal,” follow it to the Reelz Channel website and watch the really good/cute clips of an interview. Note: all 3 start the same but they’re different. Great stuff.

• mary says

I went to his imdb site….and did self……and went to..revealed…was that right??? but did not see anything about the Reelz ch site ??? am I doing it wrong??????

• says

I went to reelz.com, searched for Stuart Townsend, then clicked on his name under the PEOPLE category. There is a lot of stuff on that site so go everywhere and click on everything. I feel like a teenager again looking up and saving these photos.

• mary says

just watched Head in the Clouds..ST Charlise and Penelope Cruz. …
            this is a 2004 movie. ST really looked different. Of course that was nine years ago. I saw a lot more of him in this movie than on Betrayal…lol.
            He made the movie Trapped with C Theron in 2002..that is where they met.
            I like him better in a role like Betrayal…or in a romance movie..a lighter
            touch. I look forward to About Adam. I enjoyed Chaos Theory..which I saw
            years ago…not knowing he was in it at the time.
            Back to another viewing of Betrayal. :)

• Kathi says

I watched Trapped last night and plan to watch ST’s parts again before returning to Netflix. It was good but I don’t plan to buy it. ST’s not in it enough. As with your comment about how different he looked 10 years ago, it was the same with this movie. He looked so much younger. It may also be because he didn’t have the semi bearded look (what is that called?). He looked wonderful, of course. I’ve been browsing the Net for articles about his breakup with Theron. Hit him very hard from what I’ve read. Since he and Hannah Ware are both single, I wonder if they’ll get together? I laughed at your ending about watching Betrayal again. I’m about to wear out Xfinity watching both episodes. Anxious for tonight.

• mary says

Just saw your post…..I would like to see Trapped..will get from our library. I did enjoy him and Hannah W on The View. He is tooooo cool. I too look forward to tonight !! wonder how many times I will watch episode three….lol.
            I have to return books and two movies…and then I can reserve more of his
            films.
            He really has not had much luck with his career…I think it is about time he does. I am hoping Betrayal helps him .Enough people seem to be liking the show…and him.
            Off to eat…and get ready for ST !!!!!!

• mary says

I meant to ask if you have seen Head in the Clouds…be sure to. ! ! quite the scenes with him and Ms Theron.
            Guess they were together for almost 10 yrs…a long time. I thought of the part in the show…where Sara asked Drew how could ten years of marriage just explode like that…and he said…it wasn’t a match.

• says

I just signed in and received the welcome mail from Lara. You’ve left so many messages that I need to find a way to answer them all. First off, I saw Heads in the Clouds years ago but must not have noticed ST; must have been blind. I appreciate the link you sent for the story about he and Charlize breaking up, about his career not taking off, etc. If you check out my website, you can see that I’m a writer who’s had some luck but can’t seem to break into the wider writing world so I understand all those actors who are looking for a break. We see ST and can’t imagine why he wouldn’t be the biggest star ever, but fate can be awfully cruel. Anyhow, let’s hope that Betrayal is his big break. Will answer other messages individually.

• mary says

I will check the reelz.com….thanks !
            where do I get your website????
            almost time for ST!!!!
            Be sure to see Head in the Clouds again….to see the parts with ST. Nice !!!
            did you sign the guestbook ? nice that the web people do an e mail.

• says

Re: Head in the Clouds: I am getting Chaos Theory from Netflix tomorrow and think Head in the Clouds is next. I did see the movie years ago and probably noticed ST but didn’t pursue him then!

I should also be receiving my purchased movies this weekend!

Somewhere I read or heard ST say that the show has lots of twists and turns, that even the lovers might go against each other and the previews certainly look that way!

This show is getting better all the time.

7. Kathi Jackson says

How can anyone be so blind that they don’t see the passion between the two lead characters? I’m so captivated by this show and everyone in it. If it’s not renewed, please show us the filmed episodes and offer it on DVD!

• mary says

I agree ! great chemistry between Jack and Sara. Love the show and the cast. Great idea about the dvd. Hoping it is not canceled.

• mary says

definitely write to abc…..I did…and got a couple replies..including this today. I sent them some of your positive comments and others who posted…

Thank you very much for your feedback. We always welcome customer’s feedback at anytime. I will definitely pass this information to our Audience Relations Department.

8. Jennifer Grasso says

Just in case you didn’t get it, please give this show a CHANCE!!! Why is ABC so quick to cancel shows!!! I LOVE this one and can’t wait for Episode 3!!!!