Betrayal: Is the New ABC Series Worth Watching?

Betrayal TV show on ABC: cancel? renew?This evening, ABC is unveiling their new romantic drama, Betrayal. Is it a good companion series for Revenge? Will it become a hit, a moderate success, or will it be quickly cancelled? Is it worth watching?

Betrayal revolves around professional photographer Sara (Hannah Ware) and top attorney Jack (Stuart Townsend) who, despite being married to other people, have a torrid affair. Things become even more complicated when Sara’s husband and Jack end up on the opposite sides of a murder trial. The rest of the cast includes Henry Thomas, Chris Johnson, Wendy Moniz, Braeden Lemasters, Elizabeth McLaughlin, and James Cromwell.

Sound interesting? Here’s what some of the critics are saying:

NY Times: “It would help if Mr. Townsend and Ms. Ware had chemistry, but they’re basically generic-looking actors playing out an unsurprising dynamic.”

LA Times: “If only we cared. Even a little. Ware is lovely, but Sara is nothing more than a dress-up doll. Just as fetching in tank tops as that little red dress, possessing a cool and convenient warehouse studio, she is utterly unbelievable as photographer, mother or wife. She is certainly unbelievable as a woman carried away by passion; she and Townsend’s lack of chemistry threatens to form antimatter every time they look at each other.”

Salt Lake Tribune: “After watching the pilot episode of ABC’s Betrayal (Sunday, 9 p.m., Ch. 4), two questions immediately popped to mind. First, could that possibly have been as boring as I thought? Answer: Yes. And, second, what were ABC executives thinking when they picked this up as a series? Answer: I have absolutely no idea.”

Newsday: “Sorry, but to a large extent, Betrayal is all about TMI. The entire pilot is needed to set up the convoluted pretzel of a premise, but it also gives away a huge plot point in the opening seconds. That’s not only a risky move but a confusing one for the obvious reason that we don’t even know who Sara is at this point, let alone why anyone would want to shoot the poor woman. But this message is at least delivered: Betrayal is as much a mystery as romantic drama. Does Betrayal work on either level? So far, not really.”

Variety: “Barring an unexpected turn for the better, the show seems destined to generate more unintended giggles than heat (the ads should really say “ABC’s funniest new series!”). Because while TV has plenty of room for guilty pleasures, they should really be more satisfying than this.”

Washington Post: “So far, there’s not much here you don’t see coming from many miles away, and there’s barely enough chemistry between Ware and Townsend to make things bubble. If Betrayal wants to stick around, it better have some real surprises in store.”

USA Today: “Sex, treachery, murder: Betrayal is a show with everything – except decent writing, believable characters, and anything else that would provide a reason to watch.”

NY Post: “Can anyone act here? The answer is yes. Before Betrayal, Ware’s most notable role was as Kelsey Grammer’s drug-addicted daughter in the defunct Starz series Boss. In a TV season where some seriously lazy casting is hindering the new shows, she’s a breath of fresh air: she’s subtle, assured and has an ethereal allure. How did she get a job on ABC, known for its cavalcade of wavy-haired bimbos? The Dublin-born Townsend, who joins the list of foreign-born actors with a mastery of the American accent, manages to be available, passionate and furtive all at the same time. If anyone’s capable of Betrayal on this promising new drama, it’s Jack McAllister.”

What do you think? Are you planning to watch Betrayal? If you’ve already seen it, will you watch again? Would you recommend it?

mary November 9, 2013 at 4:59 pm

stuart townsend ‏@Stu_Townsend 5 Nov
The fans have spoken and BETRAYAL is an official 2014 People’s Choice Awards nominee for FAVORITE NEW TV DRAMA…. http://fb.me/6zatbph0C

the above is on his twitter page……and have you all been voting ???????

Kathi November 11, 2013 at 1:18 am

Is ST on Twitter often? I don’t use it–yet!

Yes, I’ve voted several times for Betrayal and there are at least 3 other favorites of mine in that category but I’m giving all my votes to Betrayal!

mary November 11, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Kathi…yes…he seems to be on Twitter a lot. I don’t do FB or Twitter.
I just got his Twitter page but of course..I cannot tweet as they say lol.
I am still thinking about last eve’s show….will have to view again on abc.

mary January 7, 2014 at 11:45 am

what a show on Sunday !! looks as if Jack and Sara will not be together??? sad that Vic
killed Lou. What more can happen ??? of course we know Sara gets shot…and..????
only another episode will tell us !!! and Happy New Year to all !!!

Kathi Jackson January 17, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Wasn’t last week’s episode a heart wrencher? I felt so sorry for Jack when he saw Sara’s book in the trash. He was so heart broken. Then he found out that she’d been forced to break up with him but now she’s shot. How’s it going to end???????????????????????

mary January 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

just saw this……does not look good for Sara and Jack being together….I feel they will both go back to their families…and try to work it out ????

Season 1, Episode 13

Episode Synopsis: In the Season 1 finale, Sara’s survival is in doubt after being shot, which forces intense reflection by her family and Jack’s as they ponder what comes next. Original Air Date: Jan 19, 2014
Guest Cast Adam Shapiro: Nate Greene Ora Jones: Quincy Theringer

mary November 5, 2013 at 11:27 pm

BETRAYAL is listed under…favorite new tv drama..for the People’s Choice awards voting……one can vote many times……..so…..let’s get voting !!

mary November 4, 2013 at 12:49 am
Kathi November 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm

That photo of ST is stunning, absolutely stunning, and the author obviously agreed!

I’ve got lots to say about last night’s episode but will read your comments first.

Thanks SO much for sending this.

mary November 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

wow….what a show tonight !!! I was hoping that Jack would quit Carstens ! I am sure he
was calling Sara to tell her..and then we have the two staring at each other. I thought maybe things were working out and Drew would not find out.
and of course we now know why Sara gets shot.
Very emotional show…and next week looks the same.

Kathi November 4, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Last night’s episode was amazing! The ending was so different than expected, etc. Does Drew beat up Jack or just go to his wife with the news as we know he does because it’s in the previews.

I was surprised at how easily Sara lies! I couldn’t be in that situation because I couldn’t come up with those lies so quickly and persuasively.

I LOVED it when Jack quit!!!! I’ve so been hoping he would, and didn’t he look adorable and happy when he left the courtroom?

If they are truly filming up to episode 11 right now, Sara may get shot but can’t die next week. We’ve seen in the preview that Drew throws her out.

And what about TJ and Brandy? Do you think she’ll marry him to get her green card? TJ has more on the ball then we think.

Do Jack and Sara just use that apt. without paying for it? When she says that the books and everything in the apt. are fake, it made me wonder, and the agent didn’t want to show that particular apt.

Great episode! My The Paradise is also heating up. It’s so romantic.

mary November 4, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Townsend said in those answers…that in episode 11….we would see their relationship be different…hope they are together. I read where Jack feels disconnected from his family. Loved it when he sent her that book..and what he wrote..about some things are real.
You can tell they are really in love now.
was hoping Jack would quit also…..and when he calls Sara…he has that smile…like..
I finally got those bars down in the cage. ..and he wants to be with her.
Drew really gets obsessed with things…Carsten….and Sara..taking her cell, looking at that picture to find out where the place is.
Seems I read that something traumatic happens and TJ cannot handle it…could Zarek
kill Brandi?
The apt is a Carsten project. It surely was a mess when they left…and when Drew saw it.
Wish they had not left that bloody towel there.
So emotional when Jack told Sara about TJ and the accident.
I watched the new episode today. Have to have that fix !! lol
glad you enjoyed the answers and great picture of ST. I plan to print it and put it up
somewhere. I picked up Queen of the Damned today…don’t know if I want to see him that way. I prefer Jack. Unhitched will be in soon.

Kathi November 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Agree with all of your comments. Yes, I was anxious to hear what Jack said when he called Sara…I’m so anxious to see what happens in the next show.

You will love him in Unhitched.

mary November 5, 2013 at 8:10 pm

just watched the last episode…again !!!
I don’t know if Jack got a chance to say anything to Sara..maybe…it seems as if the phones were still ringing.
I am not liking Drew…..for his taking Sara’s cell…etc. and then running to Jack’s wife.
Hope they show exactly what happens after that last scene Sunday…when they are looking at each other.
I see the show is not on one Sunday..some music awards are on.

mary November 9, 2013 at 1:57 am

well….Queen of the Damned just ended…wow……you have not seen it yet…so..all I will say is…..ST is quite the actor ! let me know after you see it.
I will be sleeping in tomorrow ! I may just have to watch an episode of Betrayal yet…..to get Jack back.

mary October 31, 2013 at 3:50 am
Kathi November 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Thanks for the good wishes, Mary. It appears we will get all the episodes and all questions will be answers……………….here’s hoping!

mary November 4, 2013 at 12:54 pm

just saw this for ratings…hard to understand why the show is not rated higher..it should be….

And at 10, “Betrayal” (1.0/3 in 18-49, 3.5 million viewers overall) appears to be up a bit as well, though it was adjusted down from a 1.0 to a 0.9 in the nationals; if the 1.0 holds, it would be the best score in four weeks for the rookie.

mary October 29, 2013 at 4:44 pm

just saw these comments for Betrayal…..I so agree.

Celia
Totally addicted to this series in spite of its slow start. Can’t wait for the next episode.

Jomel
I was surprised and how intriguing this series is

Carole Rice
The chemistry between Sara and Jack is so hot! Are these guys married to each other in real life? They should be cast as characters in the movie 50 Shades of Grey. I have watched from the start and now can’t wait for Sunday night to roll around.

teaandscones
hot lust at last!

Kathi October 29, 2013 at 7:53 pm

So glad Betrayal is gaining new fans, and I’ll bet there are many more out there. Please give us at least the first year!

Lynne October 30, 2013 at 3:51 am

Agreed with others. This show is absolutely sexy and addictive. It’s my guilty pleasure and I can’t wait until Sunday rolls around. Hope the audience will grow. People tend to shy away from new shows because they don’t know how long they’ll stay on air. ABC, please don’t cancel it.

mary October 28, 2013 at 6:05 pm

just got this from abc……in my email……about sweeps shows coming up…..
scroll down…and you will see two episodes mentioned about Betrayal….lots
going on…..other shows info also.

mary October 27, 2013 at 6:11 pm

kathi….I don’t know if this got thru…..my computer jammed a bit..so….again…I love the music on Betrayal…and to make a long story shorter…lol….I did check the credits and finally got the music names….got the site..and e mail…and wrote….and got a nice reply a while ago….here is part of it…nice to reply.

We too hope the show does not get cancelled! I’m not sure the time slot they put it in was the best (to compete against sports and other hugely established shows), but the ratings are slowly improving and I’ve read that they have started airing it in South Africa and have plans to air it in the UK in 2014. This leads me to believe they will, at the very least, finish the season (but I honestly have no information for certain… I just work until they tell me to stop HAHAHA)!
Enjoy, and thanks so much for the inquiry! I spend MANY hours in the studio working really hard, and so it is always wonderful to hear from someone that appreciates the music ;-) I’m extremely excited about the last piece of music in episode 105 (tonight’s airing). Enjoy!!! Peace…

Kathi October 27, 2013 at 8:19 pm

How neat. Please let me know where you sent the comment so he can hear from me too. I’ve already bought the CD for the first episode’s sexy song. This is good news about the show being exported. Maybe we’ll luck out after all!

By the way, one of THE cutest ST movies is UNHITCHED. It’s a darling movie and ST is, of course, perfect.

mary October 24, 2013 at 3:40 am

saw this for the next show…..

TV-14 | S

Sara and Jack’s secret trysts cause Jack to make an effort at home and Sara to blossom with a new sense of self-confidence. Meanwhile, T.J.’s new friend, Rodney, finds a crucial piece of evidence in Uncle Lou’s murder investigation. As Drew’s case of corruption and bribery is crumbling, he tries to coerce Brandy in a last-ditch attempt to trap Karsten.

Kathi October 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Hard to wait! The show goes by so darn quick.

mary October 24, 2013 at 1:27 am

for all Betrayal fans…….I just saw this…..people’s choice awards.

Vote for Betrayal in many categories……for the show…and for S Townsend..and Hannah Ware. here is the link

Kathi October 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Thanks for this link. I put ST’s name in every category I could. Not only did they omit Betrayal but several other of my favorites.

You must see the movie Shooting Fish. ST’s only about 25 and looks adorable. He’s so sweet and innocent, naive and shy. There’s one scene, #13 on the counter, where I wondered how the actress could stop herself from kissing his neck! Anyhow, it’s a silly but sweet movie.

Doesn’t Betrayal look hot this Sunday??????

mary October 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I will be ordering Shooting Fish from B and N this weekend….I also will get Unhitched from my library.
Looking ahead to Betrayal Sunday……and more eps I hope.
and let’s hope it goes up in the ratings again.
That darn football…and also baseball I think.

Kathi October 26, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Yes, I read that baseball knocked out lots of shows the other night. I hope ABC considers that when looking at ratings.

mary October 23, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I was watching an old NCIS show this afternoon…and thought I recognized one of the actors……he was younger here…It was Chris Johnson..in a bit part….Drew from Betrayal.

Abby October 23, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Love this show, can’t wait got Sundays to watch it!!!

mary October 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

so glad you like it..as do I and many others as you can tell from the comments. I just hope that it gets the full 13 shows. I would hate to have to wonder how it all turns out.

Kathi October 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Here I am! I’ve been taking notes ….. In regard to what Abby wrote, I have to hope they film all 13 episodes –with an ending–then release it on DVD. I want it on DVD anyway, don’t you?

I loved the last episode but miss the passion that’s there when they tried to stay apart. They’re so darn cute together and doesn’t ST’s mile light up the screen? When he smiles, he looks like a happy little boy….I’m melting here!

I’ve been watching some of his other movies and his appearance has really changed. When he was younger, he was almost pretty but now he’s so masculine. In fact, in Queen of the Damned, there are some scenes where he looks like Keira Knightley (sp?)! That’s certainly not a bad thing, that’s just how pretty he is in it.

I’ve just finished the Fifty Shades series and absolutely love it. I think ST would be so good as Christian, also another British actor I recently discovered. I bring this up because I’m starting to get everything I’m watching and reading mixed up!

As usual, Betrayal went by so darn quickly!

mary October 23, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Hi….I will get Night Stalker for sure….the more I see ST the better….lol.
I agree…ST and CT did show their relationship on screen. ..most definitely. :)
I will watch About Adam soon…..and Chaos Theory again..which I own and did not
know I did.

mary October 23, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I agree….the show goes by toooooo fast !!!
Loved the scenes on the boat.
yes…I would want the dvd also.
and his smile…ahhh…..he is so cute.
I read the 50 shades books quite a while ago….liked them also. Great story for Ana and Christian. Christian is 28 in the book….ST is about 37…? but..I could still see him in the role.

Kathi October 25, 2013 at 6:21 pm

ST’s actually turning 41 this year but he could still play Christian. I’ve told you about another actor I’ve discovered recently. He’s a Scot named Emun Elliott and he’s the star of The Paradise on PBS. He could definitely play Christian as in The Paradise he’s very demanding of respect, etc.

I’d watch ST in anything.

mary October 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm

almost time for THE show….Betrayal of course !!!

mary October 20, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I am replying to myself…lol.
Wow…..the show is getting complicated to say the least.
Karsten is a nasty guy !!!
and now the pictures the guy has..etc
Things do not look good for Jack and Sara.
I surely hope it is not canceled now..with all that is going on.

on another site…I saw these comments…to which I replied of course….

Betrayal is horrible. How is this crap getting on the air?

Totally agree! The manufactured chemistry between the two leads is laughable. Scandal this is NOT

Kathi October 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I reply to myself a lot!

Of course, I disagree with the person saying that the acting in Betrayal isn’t good. I think it’s the same level as the shows that ABC loves to sponsor.

By the way, I just did some searches on the Entertainment Weekly site and NOTHING comes up for Betrayal, ST, or H. Ware.

Kathi October 19, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Forgot that you mentioned ST’s relationships. He won’t even talk about them. I think he may have been so hurt by CT that he’s not rushing into anything plus he may be looking for “the” one and not playing the field. But then, what do I know??!

mary October 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm
Kathi October 24, 2013 at 5:51 pm

That movie looks good but where’s ST?

mary October 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Kathi October 25, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Loved all of those pix of ST!

Kathi October 25, 2013 at 6:48 pm

These lists reminded me of some comments on his movies.

He is in the first minutes of Eon Flux but only that. I didn’t watch the rest of the movie because I knew he wasn’t in any more of it. The kiss between he and CT is pretty darn good, though.

The TV Guide Channel had a program on the sexiest vamps, etc. They showed ST a little but only because they were highlighting the girl with him in Queen of the Damned–No mention of ST!

The Will & Grace episode with ST is supposed to air Oct 30 at 3pm (MST) on the WE Channel. I have it on my Netflix list so can take it off of that if I can catch it on Wed.

I saw The League of Ex. Gentlemen a long time ago and was disappointed. However, I plan to watch it again just for ST.

He’s sure taking a lot of my time! If I spent this much time writing, I’d have several books written already!

Kathi October 19, 2013 at 8:26 pm
mary October 20, 2013 at 3:16 am

I just posted a reply to what you wrote in ST’s guestbook !

I never did get what you said you sent to me from the ST website.

Kathi October 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm

The private email was sent using the mail envelope icon on the ST website, the one that’s so dark.

By the way, I wrote to the website person and requested she lighten up the site. I told her that I’d added something to my original sign-in but it can’t be seen on the dark screen. She replied that she’s been meaning to do just that for a long time.

mary October 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm

glad you wrote about that….will have to see if what you sent is still there….I did reply to you..did you see it ????
Wonder if the guy they picked for Shades of Grey will do it well. He could surprise
us all.

Kathi October 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm

If they have a good script and a good director, the guy should make a fine Christian. Hollywood can make anyone appear how they want them.

Kathi October 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Check that site to see if your email is correct.

mary October 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm

check out the new comments on this site….he is the one who wrote the good article about the show…which is there…..are you ready for tv at nine ?? I am !!!!!!!

mary October 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm

how about this….seems as if he is looking right at you….hope this comes up.

Kathi October 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

It’s too dark but I know the scene you mean and, yes, he’s looking right at you! sigh

mary October 20, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I wrote to Melanie…the gal who did the.interview with ST. I wrote again today…asking her that if she is in contact with him again..to tell him how many new fans he has..
got this reply earlier….

Hi, Mary. I don’t expect to be in touch with him again unless I interview him again after Betrayal is over when he’s promoting something else. I’m sure he’s aware that he’s getting new fans and that there are a lot of people enjoying the show. I think he manages his own social media pages. But the question is whether there will be enough fans for Betrayal to stay on. Fingers crossed!!

Yes let’s hope so too.

mary October 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm

kathi….where have you been?? miss your comments . Loved the last show….ahhhh….
love that chemistry !!! and I got the movie…About Adam..yesterday….will view soon.
It looks like a fun one.

Kathi October 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I also got some ST movies but haven’t watched them yet. I tend to put off things I really want to enjoy!

By the way, the TV series Night Stalker is a series so you have quite a few hours of ST! It’s also a good show. Had it continued, I think there would have been a romance but, darn, it didn’t.

Hey, I watched Head in the Clouds and ST was almost THE star! I will buy it but still don’t think it’s really that good a movie. One thing I noticed immediately: Most people in real-life relationships don’t convey that onto the screen. I do believe ST and CT definitely do!

mary October 27, 2013 at 2:27 am

I just watched About Adam. What a role for him…..he is so darned cute…and with that accent too. I kept seeing him as Jack in Betrayal. I think I will be thinking of him in that role in that show for quite a while.
Loved that ending to the movie…when he gets married finally…and is kissing the
sisters…and he looks at the camera with that smile of his. Funny moment.
(and the song they play…Sisters….from White Christmas when R Clooney and Vera Ellen sing it. )

Kathi October 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm

It is a cute movie and he is adorable, as always. I get from that ending that he plans to continue making all the sisters happy if/when they need him. If you take it seriously, he’s not the best husband if you want fidelity! But it’s a light movie and he’s darling. I think you’ll like UNHITCHED even better. It’s one of the 3 movies I purchased and I just watched it last night, and love it.