Betrayal: Is the New ABC Series Worth Watching?

Betrayal TV show on ABC: cancel? renew?This evening, ABC is unveiling their new romantic drama, Betrayal. Is it a good companion series for Revenge? Will it become a hit, a moderate success, or will it be quickly cancelled? Is it worth watching?

Betrayal revolves around professional photographer Sara (Hannah Ware) and top attorney Jack (Stuart Townsend) who, despite being married to other people, have a torrid affair. Things become even more complicated when Sara’s husband and Jack end up on the opposite sides of a murder trial. The rest of the cast includes Henry Thomas, Chris Johnson, Wendy Moniz, Braeden Lemasters, Elizabeth McLaughlin, and James Cromwell.

Sound interesting? Here’s what some of the critics are saying:

NY Times: “It would help if Mr. Townsend and Ms. Ware had chemistry, but they’re basically generic-looking actors playing out an unsurprising dynamic.”

LA Times: “If only we cared. Even a little. Ware is lovely, but Sara is nothing more than a dress-up doll. Just as fetching in tank tops as that little red dress, possessing a cool and convenient warehouse studio, she is utterly unbelievable as photographer, mother or wife. She is certainly unbelievable as a woman carried away by passion; she and Townsend’s lack of chemistry threatens to form antimatter every time they look at each other.”

Salt Lake Tribune: “After watching the pilot episode of ABC’s Betrayal (Sunday, 9 p.m., Ch. 4), two questions immediately popped to mind. First, could that possibly have been as boring as I thought? Answer: Yes. And, second, what were ABC executives thinking when they picked this up as a series? Answer: I have absolutely no idea.”

Newsday: “Sorry, but to a large extent, Betrayal is all about TMI. The entire pilot is needed to set up the convoluted pretzel of a premise, but it also gives away a huge plot point in the opening seconds. That’s not only a risky move but a confusing one for the obvious reason that we don’t even know who Sara is at this point, let alone why anyone would want to shoot the poor woman. But this message is at least delivered: Betrayal is as much a mystery as romantic drama. Does Betrayal work on either level? So far, not really.”

Variety: “Barring an unexpected turn for the better, the show seems destined to generate more unintended giggles than heat (the ads should really say “ABC’s funniest new series!”). Because while TV has plenty of room for guilty pleasures, they should really be more satisfying than this.”

Washington Post: “So far, there’s not much here you don’t see coming from many miles away, and there’s barely enough chemistry between Ware and Townsend to make things bubble. If Betrayal wants to stick around, it better have some real surprises in store.”

USA Today: “Sex, treachery, murder: Betrayal is a show with everything – except decent writing, believable characters, and anything else that would provide a reason to watch.”

NY Post: “Can anyone act here? The answer is yes. Before Betrayal, Ware’s most notable role was as Kelsey Grammer’s drug-addicted daughter in the defunct Starz series Boss. In a TV season where some seriously lazy casting is hindering the new shows, she’s a breath of fresh air: she’s subtle, assured and has an ethereal allure. How did she get a job on ABC, known for its cavalcade of wavy-haired bimbos? The Dublin-born Townsend, who joins the list of foreign-born actors with a mastery of the American accent, manages to be available, passionate and furtive all at the same time. If anyone’s capable of Betrayal on this promising new drama, it’s Jack McAllister.”

What do you think? Are you planning to watch Betrayal? If you’ve already seen it, will you watch again? Would you recommend it?

Rosemarie December 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I think Betrayal is good show. The actors and actresses are wonderful. The writers keep us interested. We all hope it remains on in this house.

mary December 2, 2013 at 12:20 am

Hi…..glad you enjoy the show as so many of us do. Love the cast….the plot…the settings….but it is up against football…..and the Mentalist.
so that is the main reason the ratings are not that great.
We will have to enjoy it while it is here.

Kathi December 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hi Rosemarie,

Glad you’re enjoying Betrayal. There are other loyal viewers out there and I’m one of them. I just ordered another of ST’s movies on DVD. He’s hooked a lot of new fans.

mary November 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm

when the page comes up….just click on one picture in the set..and you should get a slide show…nice pics…..also the name of the gal who likes Val.

mary November 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm

this is the gal who likes Val….hope I did not post it already…lol

Kathi November 24, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I think Val’s “girlfriend” is so cute. And that one link with all the pictures is wonderful. Thx.

mary November 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm

you are most welcome !! those pics of Elaine and Jack may be scenes never used…from earlier days perhaps.

mary March 7, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I am so missing this show. I loved it..my favorite !! Great story line…and characters…esp S Townsend and Hannah Ware…!!!
Who do YOU think she was talking to at the end of the show ???

Jack..or Drew??? I am hoping Jack….I thought back to the start of the show..when they were sitting at a table…when they first got together.

mary November 23, 2013 at 3:13 am

just found this on You Tube…some gal put this together..for ST fans….it starts with pictures of him…..then shows pics of him as Lestat…and Dorian Grey.

Kathi November 23, 2013 at 11:41 am

Thanks for this. ST can look so different, can’t he? Like a little boy at times but always a hunk. I also liked the music.

mary November 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm
Kathi November 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I love to hear him when he’s himself because we can enjoy his Irish accent!

mary November 21, 2013 at 9:31 pm

kathi…….somehow the wrong twitter page will come up on what I just sent….this should be better..lol

ttps://twitter.com/stu_townsend

mary November 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm

oh no…I did it again……..I will try to do it right…..

Kathi November 22, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Got that twitter. Thanks. Good photo and Drew really likes to Twitter, doesn’t he? It’s so hard to tell with Facebook and Twitter if the actors are really involved.

mary November 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I got a frame today…and printed that pic of Drew and Jack…..and will put it in the frame later..cute picture.
You mentioned you got one email from me…I may have sent two. Will have to keep track.
just back from running around today……tires one out !!
have a good…and restful…weekend.

Kathi November 22, 2013 at 6:21 pm
mary November 20, 2013 at 11:57 pm

just saw this about the Dec 8 show….why is the FBI after Jack ???????

This Road Isn’t Even on the Map…

Sunday Dec 8 10/9c

TV-14 |

Jack whisks Sara away for a romantic road trip, even as the FBI is tracking him down. As T.J. is unable to cope with Brandy’s death or find his place at Karsten Allied, his reckless behavior turns dangerous. Karsten decides to settle the score with Jack by making a deal with an unlikely ally.

Kathi November 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm

First off, let me take Sara’s place on a road trip with Jack….

I’d not heard that the FBI is after Jack but I’m sure his years with Karsten led him down many shady avenues.

We’ve got 2 Sundays without Betrayal!

mary November 21, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I would guess too that it’s Jack’s years with Karsten….now that he does not work for him….maybe the FBI figures they can get some info.
Wonder what Karsten will do to even the score with Jack ??? one can only guess.

and

Kathi November 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm

You’re not going to fight me for that seat in Jack’s car????

Thanks so much for the turkey greeting. It’s so cute.

mary November 21, 2013 at 9:12 pm

glad you enjoyed the turkey greeting.

I sent you a few emails…from my regular email address…to your email address…did you get them ??? I did not see anything from you on STs
site.

I would LOVE a seat in Jack’s car. Wonder where he will take her ????

Since we will not get the show til Dec 8….I will have to watch the other episodes often.

mary November 25, 2013 at 1:08 am

no Betrayal…..missed it tonight..and now another week til it comes back !!!
I came across this…..lots of info…..all recaps..and check out the photo gallery of ST.
That will carry me thru a week !!!!!

Kathi November 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for this link. I left a few messages and really enjoyed the pictures!

mary November 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

glad you enjoyed the link…….I did not see any messages in the ST guestbook…nor are there any in my regular mail ???
I will be leaving tomorrow for TG ….will check mail when I can….have a lovely TG day !! enjoy!

mary November 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I found you on that link…lol…and also posted a comment.

lorna November 20, 2013 at 2:46 am

Has the show been cancelled? I’ve just gone a day watching all season one, and im hooked! Absolutely loved it. So will there be a season to? Maybe?

mary November 20, 2013 at 12:40 pm

HI…so glad you have joined us…if only more had done so to start…ratings would be better…but…..better now than not at all. It is a great show I agree of course.
It is what they call a limited series..as Hostages is. That means 13-15 episodes…and Betrayal is 13..wish it were more.
Stuart Townsend is so handsome…and he and Hannah Ware are soooo good together.
Great chemistry!!!! Hate to think of the next two weeks without it…it will be back on Dec 8 !!! Keep viewing !!!!

Kathi November 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Welcome Lorna. You’ve come to the right place to talk about Betrayal and Stuart Townsend.

Kathi November 19, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Did anyone notice that when Elaine tells Jack that she notices he’s not saying he’s sorry or that he doesn’t love Sara? And when Sara talks to her sister, she says she loves Jack and nothing about loving Drew? Pretty good signs of where their hearts lie.

mary November 19, 2013 at 9:48 pm

no…I am not on Twitter……check this out for a video and pictures….etc…

I am a bit concerned seeing Sara with Oliver a lot..and then Jack looking at Val’s
picture…and Jack must have given Val a framed photo of some kind…as she is
teared up.

I am sure ..as you say….we know where their hearts lie.

Why doesn’t Jack just open his own law practice ?????

Kathi November 21, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I answered this earlier but the system wouldn’t accept it so forgive me if I’ve already said this.

I think Jack and Sara will still be able to divorce even with Sara worrying about Oliver. Drew’s a good dad and they seem to have already worked out the situation. If the show went to Season 2, they’d probably go to court to see who got custody.

I agree that Jack could open his own law practice. Why not?

mary November 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Yes.Jack should start his own practice..and I too think they could divorce and still maintain a good relationship with the kids etc.
and prepare for a great pic of Drew and Jack…ahhh…you can see the camera setups too.

when they finish shooting the eps…they will have a cast and crew party I imagine…hope we see them.

mary November 17, 2013 at 11:17 pm

what a show tonight…lots of unexpected action..esp by Thatcher. He did do one nice thing however.
Wonder if Jack and Sara will give it” one more shot”with their families……..they are so in love….hope it all works out for them.
cute scene when she asked him if he ever thought he would have to bail her out of jail…
and calling her….outlaw.
check out the comments by ST on Twitter from tonight…..wonder what romance he is talking about….his and Sara’s….or does he go back with Elaine ??? saw several shots of him and Elaine together.

Kathi November 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I didn’t see anything recent about the show with photos. Are you tweeting now? Which date are the ones you write about?

mary November 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm
Kathi November 19, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I could not be an actor. Besides baring myself to show feelings, I wouldn’t have the patience to sit through all the setting up for a scene and doing the same shots time and time again.

mary November 13, 2013 at 5:57 pm

just spend an enjoyable few hours watching Stuart Townsend in Unhitched. I highly
recommend it.He was delightful…so cute as usual.
There were parts that reminded me of Betrayal….the girl he loves is named Sara…
there is a balcony scene….and he says..quite a view….and…he also has the line…
what do you think you are doing….
Hours well spent.

Kathi November 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I thought you’d like it. It’s one of the ones I own. When he smiles, the scene just lights up!

mary November 18, 2013 at 10:46 pm

great smile……and those eyes !!!!
I will get W and Grace season 7 episode 18 I think it is…..sounds good from what you said…..:) it is at our library.
I have watched the last show twice already. So good. Seems Sara will be spending more time with Oliver..but…she has made it clear to Drew that she loves Jack.
and Jack…gazing at that pic with Val. It should be an interesting last episodes…
and how I hate to say that !!!!

mary November 12, 2013 at 11:14 pm

googling about today…..and found a site for Betrayal…and it said…..

COUNTDOWN TO AIR DATE: 4 DAYS 21 HOURS 54 MINS 54 SECS

mary November 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

at last…just saw this on the abc site…was going to watch the last show again..lol..

what’s hot
Betrayal

mary November 12, 2013 at 3:17 pm

remember diamond rose…..when Sara and Jack were on the balcony…meeting for the first time….and some of us wondered where that came from….it is usually…jinx as Jack said…I just found this..when looking up Hannah Ware…now we know where the Rose came from….and there is a diamond rose I believe. ….but I don’t know why..diamond rose. ????

Hannah Rose Ware[3] (born 8 December 1982) is an English model and actress, known for her role as Emma Kane in the STARZ series Boss (2011-2012). In 2013, she stars as Sara Hanley in ABC primetime soap opera Betrayal.

Kathi November 12, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I think we talked about that before because I wondered if the word diamond might be in her sister’s name somehow, that maybe she and her real sister really used that expression.

Good news: My Netflix came today, a day early. It’s the Will & Grace episode with ST!!!!

mary November 12, 2013 at 11:43 pm

enjoy the episode…..I am going to get it at our library. Should be a fun one.
Saw a clip of the next show…..lots going on. Wonder what TJ will do when he finds
out about Brandi. He seemed so happy…with the ring and all.

Kathi November 18, 2013 at 8:04 pm

He’s so darn cute and sexy in the W&G episode. I watched it several times before returning it to Netflix. The way he’s not dressed is very nice too!

mary November 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm

hope HOT is still there for the show. scroll down……

Kathi November 21, 2013 at 7:46 pm

hope HOT is still there for the show. scroll down……

Mary: What do you mean?

Kathi November 11, 2013 at 8:17 pm
mary November 11, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Kathi….thanks for the article….very interesting. I still have my vhs copy of that movie.
I could not see him as Jack though. Seems ST must have tested too ???
I am going to watch last night’s show….again…soon…….:)

Kathi November 21, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Thomas would probably like to play a tougher part. I often wonder why/why/which stars have to audition.

mary November 12, 2013 at 1:45 am

kathi……..

just saw this on You Tube..just searching around….

mary November 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm

kathi…..so many IFs…..!!! esp with TJ and Karsten.
I will check the guestbook for ST soon…..and see if I have any of your messages there.

Kathi November 11, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I’ve sent your messages to your private email address; they won’t be on the ST site.

Anonymous November 11, 2013 at 8:57 pm

kathi…..I have not gotten any emails in my private

mary November 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm

no emails yet…………in my private address