Betrayal: Is the New ABC Series Worth Watching?

Betrayal TV show on ABC: cancel? renew?This evening, ABC is unveiling their new romantic drama, Betrayal. Is it a good companion series for Revenge? Will it become a hit, a moderate success, or will it be quickly cancelled? Is it worth watching?

Betrayal revolves around professional photographer Sara (Hannah Ware) and top attorney Jack (Stuart Townsend) who, despite being married to other people, have a torrid affair. Things become even more complicated when Sara’s husband and Jack end up on the opposite sides of a murder trial. The rest of the cast includes Henry Thomas, Chris Johnson, Wendy Moniz, Braeden Lemasters, Elizabeth McLaughlin, and James Cromwell.

Sound interesting? Here’s what some of the critics are saying:

NY Times: “It would help if Mr. Townsend and Ms. Ware had chemistry, but they’re basically generic-looking actors playing out an unsurprising dynamic.”

LA Times: “If only we cared. Even a little. Ware is lovely, but Sara is nothing more than a dress-up doll. Just as fetching in tank tops as that little red dress, possessing a cool and convenient warehouse studio, she is utterly unbelievable as photographer, mother or wife. She is certainly unbelievable as a woman carried away by passion; she and Townsend’s lack of chemistry threatens to form antimatter every time they look at each other.”

Salt Lake Tribune: “After watching the pilot episode of ABC’s Betrayal (Sunday, 9 p.m., Ch. 4), two questions immediately popped to mind. First, could that possibly have been as boring as I thought? Answer: Yes. And, second, what were ABC executives thinking when they picked this up as a series? Answer: I have absolutely no idea.”

Newsday: “Sorry, but to a large extent, Betrayal is all about TMI. The entire pilot is needed to set up the convoluted pretzel of a premise, but it also gives away a huge plot point in the opening seconds. That’s not only a risky move but a confusing one for the obvious reason that we don’t even know who Sara is at this point, let alone why anyone would want to shoot the poor woman. But this message is at least delivered: Betrayal is as much a mystery as romantic drama. Does Betrayal work on either level? So far, not really.”

Variety: “Barring an unexpected turn for the better, the show seems destined to generate more unintended giggles than heat (the ads should really say “ABC’s funniest new series!”). Because while TV has plenty of room for guilty pleasures, they should really be more satisfying than this.”

Washington Post: “So far, there’s not much here you don’t see coming from many miles away, and there’s barely enough chemistry between Ware and Townsend to make things bubble. If Betrayal wants to stick around, it better have some real surprises in store.”

USA Today: “Sex, treachery, murder: Betrayal is a show with everything – except decent writing, believable characters, and anything else that would provide a reason to watch.”

NY Post: “Can anyone act here? The answer is yes. Before Betrayal, Ware’s most notable role was as Kelsey Grammer’s drug-addicted daughter in the defunct Starz series Boss. In a TV season where some seriously lazy casting is hindering the new shows, she’s a breath of fresh air: she’s subtle, assured and has an ethereal allure. How did she get a job on ABC, known for its cavalcade of wavy-haired bimbos? The Dublin-born Townsend, who joins the list of foreign-born actors with a mastery of the American accent, manages to be available, passionate and furtive all at the same time. If anyone’s capable of Betrayal on this promising new drama, it’s Jack McAllister.”

What do you think? Are you planning to watch Betrayal? If you’ve already seen it, will you watch again? Would you recommend it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

307 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Rosemarie says

I think Betrayal is good show. The actors and actresses are wonderful. The writers keep us interested. We all hope it remains on in this house.

• mary says

Hi…..glad you enjoy the show as so many of us do. Love the cast….the plot…the settings….but it is up against football…..and the Mentalist.
      so that is the main reason the ratings are not that great.
      We will have to enjoy it while it is here.

• says

Hi Rosemarie,

Glad you’re enjoying Betrayal. There are other loyal viewers out there and I’m one of them. I just ordered another of ST’s movies on DVD. He’s hooked a lot of new fans.

2. mary says

just found this on You Tube…some gal put this together..for ST fans….it starts with pictures of him…..then shows pics of him as Lestat…and Dorian Grey.

3. mary says

kathi…….somehow the wrong twitter page will come up on what I just sent….this should be better..lol

ttps://twitter.com/stu_townsend

• says

Got that twitter. Thanks. Good photo and Drew really likes to Twitter, doesn’t he? It’s so hard to tell with Facebook and Twitter if the actors are really involved.

• mary says

I got a frame today…and printed that pic of Drew and Jack…..and will put it in the frame later..cute picture.
          You mentioned you got one email from me…I may have sent two. Will have to keep track.
          just back from running around today……tires one out !!
          have a good…and restful…weekend.

• mary says

kathi…How did you find those great FBook pics..??? and no….I would not be too restful either…..lol. I don’t recall that picture of Jack looking so happy with Elaine….was that
              in an episode ???
              Will save that site..so I can check out the pictures often….:)

• says

They’ve been posted on Facebook, usually by someone on the ST websites or by ABC.

By the way, the actress who ended up with ST in Queen of the Damned is Kevin McKidd’s new love interest in Gray’s Anatomy…..can we say LUCKY GIRL?

• mary says

kathi….in the one picture it does show Jack and Elaine….looks like a party ? and I have seen one with his kissing her too with the same setting…maybe it was from their past life.
                  I don’t watch Gray’s anymore…have not for years.
                  ST surely can have different looks……I like him now….or earlier….anytime..lol.
                  He is just so good in Betrayal.
                  I assume you do Facebook ? I don’t …thanks for that link.

• says

The only picture I can think of with Jack and Elaine is where they’re at the kids’ birthday party and they’re standing up. I think their arms are around each other. You say he’s kissing her? Hmmm. We saw the birthday episode and I don’t remember anything happy happening so maybe these are outtakes or publicity shots. Does that sound right?

I’ve watched Grays from the beginning and adding Kevin McKidd just made me even happier!

Yes, I “do” facebook but more to help publicize my books–why I also do Goodreads.

As far as ST’s changing looks—yes, I’ll take him in any of them! He’s just darling.

• mary says

kathi……I forget where I saw the pictures of Jack and Elaine..togethsr…looking very happy. The have wine….and it looks like a party….there is a pic of them with their arms
                      around each other..and another of them kissing. I will have to look about for them. One
                      is on that FBook pic.
                      Check this out…..

note the baker boy episode will be on soon….
                      date and time are given.

be sure to check out the best of S Townsend…
                      love to see some of those films….Shade for
                      example. There are a lot of short films.

• says

SHADE is one of the DVDs I bought. At first I thought I’d wasted my money but it turned out to be a good movie. It’s a clever movie and you have to keep track of what’s going on.

• says

I don’t recall Jack and Elaine barely talking at that party. Maybe these are from outtakes. I recently bought the DVD of a PBS show and there were a lot of scenes not in the televised version. I hope the same holds true for Betrayal when it comes out.

4. mary says

just saw this about the Dec 8 show….why is the FBI after Jack ???????

This Road Isn’t Even on the Map…

Sunday Dec 8 10/9c

TV-14 |

Jack whisks Sara away for a romantic road trip, even as the FBI is tracking him down. As T.J. is unable to cope with Brandy’s death or find his place at Karsten Allied, his reckless behavior turns dangerous. Karsten decides to settle the score with Jack by making a deal with an unlikely ally.

5. lorna says

Has the show been cancelled? I’ve just gone a day watching all season one, and im hooked! Absolutely loved it. So will there be a season to? Maybe?

• mary says

HI…so glad you have joined us…if only more had done so to start…ratings would be better…but…..better now than not at all. It is a great show I agree of course.
      It is what they call a limited series..as Hostages is. That means 13-15 episodes…and Betrayal is 13..wish it were more.
      Stuart Townsend is so handsome…and he and Hannah Ware are soooo good together.
      Great chemistry!!!! Hate to think of the next two weeks without it…it will be back on Dec 8 !!! Keep viewing !!!!

6. says

Did anyone notice that when Elaine tells Jack that she notices he’s not saying he’s sorry or that he doesn’t love Sara? And when Sara talks to her sister, she says she loves Jack and nothing about loving Drew? Pretty good signs of where their hearts lie.

• mary says

no…I am not on Twitter……check this out for a video and pictures….etc…

I am a bit concerned seeing Sara with Oliver a lot..and then Jack looking at Val’s
      picture…and Jack must have given Val a framed photo of some kind…as she is
      teared up.

I am sure ..as you say….we know where their hearts lie.

Why doesn’t Jack just open his own law practice ?????

• says

I answered this earlier but the system wouldn’t accept it so forgive me if I’ve already said this.

I think Jack and Sara will still be able to divorce even with Sara worrying about Oliver. Drew’s a good dad and they seem to have already worked out the situation. If the show went to Season 2, they’d probably go to court to see who got custody.

I agree that Jack could open his own law practice. Why not?

• mary says

Yes.Jack should start his own practice..and I too think they could divorce and still maintain a good relationship with the kids etc.
          and prepare for a great pic of Drew and Jack…ahhh…you can see the camera setups too.

when they finish shooting the eps…they will have a cast and crew party I imagine…hope we see them.

7. mary says

what a show tonight…lots of unexpected action..esp by Thatcher. He did do one nice thing however.
    Wonder if Jack and Sara will give it” one more shot”with their families……..they are so in love….hope it all works out for them.
    cute scene when she asked him if he ever thought he would have to bail her out of jail…
    and calling her….outlaw.
    check out the comments by ST on Twitter from tonight…..wonder what romance he is talking about….his and Sara’s….or does he go back with Elaine ??? saw several shots of him and Elaine together.

• says

I could not be an actor. Besides baring myself to show feelings, I wouldn’t have the patience to sit through all the setting up for a scene and doing the same shots time and time again.

8. mary says

just spend an enjoyable few hours watching Stuart Townsend in Unhitched. I highly
    recommend it.He was delightful…so cute as usual.
    There were parts that reminded me of Betrayal….the girl he loves is named Sara…
    there is a balcony scene….and he says..quite a view….and…he also has the line…
    what do you think you are doing….
    Hours well spent.

• mary says

great smile……and those eyes !!!!
        I will get W and Grace season 7 episode 18 I think it is…..sounds good from what you said…..:) it is at our library.
        I have watched the last show twice already. So good. Seems Sara will be spending more time with Oliver..but…she has made it clear to Drew that she loves Jack.
        and Jack…gazing at that pic with Val. It should be an interesting last episodes…
        and how I hate to say that !!!!

9. mary says

googling about today…..and found a site for Betrayal…and it said…..

COUNTDOWN TO AIR DATE: 4 DAYS 21 HOURS 54 MINS 54 SECS

10. mary says

remember diamond rose…..when Sara and Jack were on the balcony…meeting for the first time….and some of us wondered where that came from….it is usually…jinx as Jack said…I just found this..when looking up Hannah Ware…now we know where the Rose came from….and there is a diamond rose I believe. ….but I don’t know why..diamond rose. ????

Hannah Rose Ware[3] (born 8 December 1982) is an English model and actress, known for her role as Emma Kane in the STARZ series Boss (2011-2012). In 2013, she stars as Sara Hanley in ABC primetime soap opera Betrayal.

• mary says

Kathi….thanks for the article….very interesting. I still have my vhs copy of that movie.
      I could not see him as Jack though. Seems ST must have tested too ???
      I am going to watch last night’s show….again…soon…….:)

11. mary says

kathi…..so many IFs…..!!! esp with TJ and Karsten.
    I will check the guestbook for ST soon…..and see if I have any of your messages there.