Better with You: ABC Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Better with You canceled season twoABC has some successful sitcoms on their Wednesday night schedule. Unfortunately, Better with You wasn’t popular enough for the network. The comedy has been cancelled after one season on the air.

Better with You revolves around the Putney family and their significant others. Maddie and Ben have been happily dating for a long time and aren’t in a rush to get married. They begin to question their choice when Maddie’s sister gets pregnant by her new boyfriend and they announce their plans for nuptials. The girls’ parents approve of the idea, having taken on a carpe diem approach to life. The sitcom stars Debra Jo Rupp, Jake Lacy, Jennifer Finnigan, Joanna Garcia, Josh Cooke, and Kurt Fuller.

The TV series debuted back in September to a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.86 million viewers. In week two, the ratings slide to a 2.2 rating and 6.99 million. Those aren’t terrible numbers but they aren’t great either, especially considering the series was sandwiched between two already established sitcoms, The Middle and Modern Family. Both of those consistently performed much better so it would seem that some viewers were making a conscious to tune out when Better with You came on.

Should Better with You have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings for Better with You slowly declined over the course of the season, hitting a season low a couple weeks ago with a 1.5 demo rating and 4.64 million viewers. While the sitcom now airs up against American Idol, The Middle does too, has a tougher timeslot, and performs significantly better.

With ABC considering starting a second night of comedy, Better with You was on the bubble for a potential renewal. ABC has now decided to cancel it, likely believing that they can get better ratings with a new sitcom.

All 22 episodes have aired and the series finale, “Better with Baby,” aired a few nights ago.

What do you think? Are you sorry that better with You isn’t getting a second season? Why do you think the sitcom didn’t attract a bigger audience?

Melanie May 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I am so upset this show is being cancelled. It is so funny! I think funnier than Modern Family! The cast is great! Give this show another chance. I think it isn’t advertised enough and it goes up against American Idol making it harder. Don’t cancel Abc!

Mel May 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Please bring it back!

Amy May 21, 2011 at 9:43 am

I loved Better with you! I am so tired of all the reality shows and game/competition shows. I enjoy good half hour comedy shows that I can relax and enjoy and not think about anything (like work, gas prices, etc).

Maya May 20, 2011 at 9:35 pm

too bad they cancelled the show, it was one of my favorites shows.

Qube May 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

This show didn’t appeal to me. I’d watch the middle and modern family, but turned the television off when this came on. It just seemed too cliche. Like a brainless show. The middle is slightly like that, but it’s more appealing to me. Modern Family is genius.

MG May 19, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Too bad! This was a very funny show! All the characters were funny; their interactions and the comparisons among couples was hysterical. Bad decision by the network.

Shon May 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm

sorry to hear about the cancellation–I really liked the show

Kim May 19, 2011 at 9:53 am

This was a GREAT show. All that seems to be coming on T.V. are reality shows. I don’t really care for them because they are not funny. After a stressful day at work, I want to laugh. It’s very sad that shows like this are being cancelled. Enough with the singing shows!!!!

sandy May 18, 2011 at 9:13 am

So what else is new!!! Better with you was a very cute funny good feeling show so of course they would take it off the air. I am not surprised. The networks have canceled quite a few really good shows that I watch…hmmm now I know why I watch HBO SHO and the rest of the cable programs….the exec at ABC, NBC are a bunch of Morons!!!!

Rey May 18, 2011 at 7:43 am

I love Better With You! I started watching because it came on right after The Middle, and lately I’ve been watching the Middle because it comes on before Better with You. Very sad it’s being cancelled; so much funnier than the average sitcom.

yeah May 17, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Why this show is hilarious

C Cummings May 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Please don’t cancel Better with you. I love the show. It’ s so funny. I love the comparisons between couples. I look forward to it each week. I do DVr the show but can sit and watch when my schedule allows. Please reconsider. I’ll miss Brothers and Sisters too. So happy for the happy endings though. Thanks for that.

C Cummings May 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Please don’t cancel Better with you. I love the show. It’ s so funny. I love the comparisons between couples. I look forward to it each week. I do DVr the show but can sit and watch when my schedule allows. Please reconsider. C Cummings

JMS May 17, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Better With You was a perfect part of the Wednesday line up! I loved Better With You it was a great hilarious show-PLEASE don’t take it off the air-there are so few shows that are funny these days!!

Jason May 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Better with You is hilarious! Much better than that “Middle” show that always seems to be on! ABC sux!