Better with You: ABC Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Better with You canceled season twoABC has some successful sitcoms on their Wednesday night schedule. Unfortunately, Better with You wasn’t popular enough for the network. The comedy has been cancelled after one season on the air.

Better with You revolves around the Putney family and their significant others. Maddie and Ben have been happily dating for a long time and aren’t in a rush to get married. They begin to question their choice when Maddie’s sister gets pregnant by her new boyfriend and they announce their plans for nuptials. The girls’ parents approve of the idea, having taken on a carpe diem approach to life. The sitcom stars Debra Jo Rupp, Jake Lacy, Jennifer Finnigan, Joanna Garcia, Josh Cooke, and Kurt Fuller.

The TV series debuted back in September to a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.86 million viewers. In week two, the ratings slide to a 2.2 rating and 6.99 million. Those aren’t terrible numbers but they aren’t great either, especially considering the series was sandwiched between two already established sitcoms, The Middle and Modern Family. Both of those consistently performed much better so it would seem that some viewers were making a conscious to tune out when Better with You came on.

Should Better with You have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings for Better with You slowly declined over the course of the season, hitting a season low a couple weeks ago with a 1.5 demo rating and 4.64 million viewers. While the sitcom now airs up against American Idol, The Middle does too, has a tougher timeslot, and performs significantly better.

With ABC considering starting a second night of comedy, Better with You was on the bubble for a potential renewal. ABC has now decided to cancel it, likely believing that they can get better ratings with a new sitcom.

All 22 episodes have aired and the series finale, “Better with Baby,” aired a few nights ago.

What do you think? Are you sorry that better with You isn’t getting a second season? Why do you think the sitcom didn’t attract a bigger audience?

Rodney October 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

ABC come Better With You was a terrific, well written and a fuuny show. My family loved watching the show as well and The Middle and Modern Family. ABC I believe you need to rethink the cancelation of Better With You. Please renew the show!

Anonymous October 9, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Bummer – Better With You was hilarious! We miss it — bring it back!!

jackie October 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Loved the show! I watched the middle just to fill up time until this show started. Bring it back!

Elvira September 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I can not believe this! I loved that show! It was so funny!

glenda September 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm

WHAT why haven’t we heard this before. this was a cute show, shame on who ever cancelled this show.

Alisyn Dickson September 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I can’t watch TV when it comes on so I have been watching Better With You online. I was looking forward to the new season!!!!!! So much better than most shows on TV right now. Maybe it can move to a new network??

Lisa September 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I can’t believe it!!! We loved that show!! It’s so funny. I am 41 and thought it was hilarious. I like Modern Family, but in my opinion, this show was better. I loved the show “Reba”, and it was nice to see her guest star with her old cast-mate. This is sad news…:(

Layla September 8, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I loved Better With You in between The Middle and Modern Family. It was the perfect break between the two highly anticipated shows. I always recorded the three shows and watched Better With You before The Middle and Modern Family. It was like the opening act that was preparing me for a night of laughs. It was a great show. I’m definitely buying the season!

Anonymous September 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm

this show was 1 of the best shows I have seen in a long time. It was in between 2 great shows but it defintley held it’s own. I was very upset to see this one being cancelled. ABC should have really reconsidered. I’m not sure their replacement will do as well.

carloslnx August 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I from Centro America

I love the show.

nylinor August 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Oh no, I am about t finish Season 1 and was hoping there’s season 2 and read this now! I love the show. :((

Anonymous August 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm

not fair, i liked the show

Kelli July 24, 2011 at 9:14 am

I think it is really too bad that all the networks do not shows develop a following. What makes it worse is when the do these dumb breaks right in the middle of the season. Good shows happened in the 80′ s and 90’s. A season aired in the fall and ran completely to spring. There was no break, no reruns, no nothing. How they do it now leaves a bit to be desired. This was was actually good, hadvsome cleverness to it-and people could relate. There is probably a reason that ABC is not the top network. Canceling shows like this one might be one of them.

NumberXIII July 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm

What?! They put it among The Middle and Modern Family, obviously people would tune it out! It has nothings to do with those two! It’s like putting Modern Family between two Discovery Channel Documentaries; it’s not like the middle show is bad, but people with the interest for those other two shows are not at all interested in the middle show! What the hell is wrong with you people!

LaVera July 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm

oh come on!!! i love the show! what is the matter with y’all?