Bionic Woman: Has the NBC Series Been Cancelled?

Bionic WomanRumors have been running rampant that Bionic Woman has been canned. The cancellation certainly wouldn’t come as a surprise considering the show’s ratings history but are the rumors true?

Bionic Woman, as you probably know, is a remake of the classic action series that starred Lindsey Wagner in the 1970s. This new version debuted on September 26, 2007 and attracted almost 14 million people. Though anticipation was high for the series, it apparently didn’t live up to viewer expectations as the ratings fell with each subsequent episode. The last episode to be shown attracted just six million.

Series production was shut down because of the ongoing writers strike and only eight episodes have been produced and aired. Based on the ratings and the high expense of the show, it would seem that Bionic Woman would be a natural for cancellation. For whatever reason, NBC isn’t ready to throw Jaime Sommers on the scrap heap just yet.

An NBC Universal Media Studios spokesperson told TV Guide, “Bionic Woman has not been canceled. Production was shut down due to the WGA strike. In addition, we have not completed the initial 13 episode order, which will be the first order of business when the strike ends.”

Does this mean that the show is safe? Hardly. When the writers strike does finally end, the network will have to take a hard look at their schedule and their options for filling it. If the show’s ratings continue to fall, NBC will have no choice but to cancel it. The network’s parent company produces the show so canceling Bionic Woman wouldn’t likely be as expensive as prematurely dumping a series produced by another studio

Could the series’ ratings fall be turned around? Highly unlikely. After a whole lot of Summer promotion, almost 14 million tuned in to see the premiere and, for whatever reason, most of them haven’t stuck around. It’s not that people haven’t discovered the show — they saw it and just decided that it wasn’t worth their time. Once viewers do that, it’s nearly impossible to get them back. Will Jaime beat the odds? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

luly February 13, 2008 at 10:20 am

I loved this show I love Michelle just because she a new actress you people hate her. I’ve never heard of Katee till I saw Bionic Woman I vote they keep it on the air maybe move it to Sci-Fi instead if NBC doesn’t want it. I love this show Michelle is amazing

Elaya S. February 8, 2008 at 11:27 am

When is the show ever coming back! This is terrible. Of all the shows, why is this one on strike! Can someone answer this question?! Huh! Can You!!!!

Nain Valasquez February 8, 2008 at 11:24 am

I can’t believe that the show has been canceled! This is not fair. I reallly wasn’t even aware of this process. My dad even said is Bionic Woman ever coming back on? Every week I’ve been wanting to see it, now I figure out it canceled! That’s terrible! Well I hope that soon the strike will disappear. I really loved the series. It was interesting and unique. So, whenever you people decide to air it once again, pkease let me know right away!

KC February 8, 2008 at 9:13 am

The reason this show is not successful is bad casting. Michelle is not really that attractive and I’m not buying her playing this part. She is not a fit for that character. I think Bionic woman is too big for her. I agree that Katee would be a better lead character. Michelle is dull. I stopped watching after the first episode and predict this show will not make it to a second season.

mike February 7, 2008 at 9:43 pm

I hope it is cancelled. It was dull. It wasn’t in character with the old Bionic Woman. I definitely won’t miss it.

Sims February 4, 2008 at 8:05 am

As a little girl I didn’t have many heros to look up to other than Wonder Woman, but then the Bionic Woman came in the 70’s and 80’s and WOW finally a hero to look up too. Bringing Michelle Ryan as the new Bionic Woman is fanastic I looked forward to her shows every week because she demonstrates the here and now version for 2000’s. She is a keeper and I hope that NBC will reconsider in bringing back the show again.

MrZero February 4, 2008 at 6:21 am

I watched the pilot and it was SO boring. I fled and never looked back.

michael January 21, 2008 at 11:55 am

i been watching the bionic woman. the show needs inpovement. i love michelle ryan she is HOT AND SEXY. i hope they bring it back..

Tony January 14, 2008 at 9:16 pm

I sure hope that “Bionic Woman” does come back because i really started to like the show and also I started to like Michelle Ryan. She is beautiful and sexy. I don’t know if you know this or not but there is a petition going around the internet to save “Bionic Woman” from cancellation. So far, the fans have spoken. There are over 1300 signatures and still growing. If you are interested in putting your name on this petition, here is the website: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/BWlives/petition.html.

joseph H.Sylvain January 12, 2008 at 1:25 pm

I think that this show is a reminder to us all that no matter how you are the`re will always be someone better in every field, the original bionic woman teaches us that. furthermore
to reach youre goal must deal the a more experienced rival so it is upto you to step your game become faster train harder stronger better
it took keanu reeves 3 matrix movies to finally defeat agent smith the peter parker to conquer his fears to be spider man even christan bale to nealy get him self killed before he could called himself batman nobody is superman even the man of steel has has an a weekness
everyone has to fall before you can fly thats were the focus should be put but underneath it all jamie is still human who through life like every one else nothing is handed to you you have be willing to have your ass kicked to get what you want
if you have not learned that by now well then you we`re never paying attention we`re you

maathew w January 1, 2008 at 5:49 pm

this is one of if not the best new show of the season. the actress is amazing. i can’t understand what everyone is complaining about. the show is great, it has a great cast and the storylines are terriffic. i wouldn’t change a thing.

KArin December 28, 2007 at 10:25 am

I hope you keep the show around. We enjoyed it a lot here. Because it was on several times a week in the beginningm, I would record it on the DVR. But then it was only on once a week and not always the same time, same night. At least here the scheduling was all jacked up. (With other shows as well) It has promise to be a great show. You need to keep the same players on it though. One night Isaac Washington is in the show, next time no sign of him. What’s up with that??
Thanks

Renee December 27, 2007 at 3:57 pm

I enjoyed the show. Michelle was finally grabbing my attention. She does make the show seem slow but it’s still a good show. They need to bring Katee Sackhoff back. She made it more exciting.

Shelly December 26, 2007 at 10:51 am

The star of the show is lifeless, and boring. I don’t watch the show because I cannot bear to watch her. Change the actress portraying the lead character and save the show. Try the girl from Veronica Mars!

Craig December 25, 2007 at 11:41 am

I have had a hard time enjoying much of the cast of the show. Michelle Ryan is just not the type of bionic woman I am interested in. She makes a potentially interesting character boring. NBC made it really hard for me to enjoy Michelle’s character when they showed me Katee Sackhoff as the original bionic woman. Katee blew Michelle away. They should scrap the original idea of the show and make Katee the focus. A series about the original bionic woman would be great TV.