Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,616 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

Please don’t cancel this show, it shouldn’t always be about the ratings. I enjoy watching this show. I like the way you help other’s to understand the illness, that having it doesn’t mean you are crazy. But through therapy and medication you can lead productive life’s.

2. Cyndi says

I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed ANYTHING on network television. It must have been sometime in the 80’s! I finally find one show that is relevant to me and a great part of society and they want to cancel? What are they thinking!?

3. Elizabeth Sydnor says

Black Box is both engaging and informative! The series is well acted and the story lines are top notch! Bipolar illness is a debilitating illness coupled with a stigma that makes people with the disorder, in some cases, pariahs! With so much blame being placed on the illness as reasons for deplorable crimes, the illness becomes considered more of a reason for condemnation! Educating the public now more than ever is paramount! This show explains the warning signs of the condition and aids people to understand that much like many addictive diseases, mania is completely addictive. People with addiction require aid; people with bipolar need aid in order to save the lives of people afflicted, gifted, and others that are secondarily effected! This show explains in ways that are understandable how this aid can possibly be supportive!

• says

I would have to agree here with Elizabeth. I also feel that some of the cases that the show works on (the patients) have merit as well. Bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses are so taboo in society but yet so common and people do not take time to understand that there are differences among us all. Don’t judge educate, if a tv show can help show can help, let it stay on the air. Change the time slot and give it a chance. Let the people decide, don’t decide for them, they may suprise you. If you choose not to do that, at least air the final 9 episodes, better than reruns!

4. Robin says

Please don’t cancel the show!!! It is very interesting and could really help the generalpublic understand mental health issues a little better.

5. Luce says

I just watched several episodes of this show and I’m hooked. One of the better TV series I have seen. The low ratings may reflect the fact that many people do not understand mental illness. This show is different indeed but in a good way. Please don’t cancel !

6. Patty says

I hope they renew it, people want reality garbage shows like Kardashians, this is more reality then they could ever be. With that being said, I love the fact that a Neurologist is Bi- Polar, with medication anything is possible. I also have family and amazing friends that are Bi Polar including my mom (RIP), it’s real considering there are so many aspects to the disease, does everyone have the same ….NO but everyone I know can say they see something from her role.

7. Louisa says

I agree that there needs to be a more of a focus on Bipolar Disorder. I too have a bipolar adult child and it shows many scenarios that are on point. The problem is the show itself, it seems choppy to me, the music in the background at times sounds like an old soap opera. I had such high hopes for Black Box but it wasn’t mean to be.

8. Maggie Ray says

I absolutely love this show!!!! My son was recently diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder. The show sheds light on the disorder. Let’s viewers see different aspects of it. I find the show interesting, informative, and entertaining. I sincerely hope it isn’t canceled.

9. joy n says

I love this show! I am very disappointed it might b canceled…hoprfully them moving it to a new time will help

10. Sodonewithrealitytv says

I have a few family members with bipolar disorder, so I thought I would give this show a shot. Five episodes in and I am already done with it. Regardless of whether the show gets canceled or all episodes air, I will not be watching it.

11. MAY says

Black box is one show that someone did research I have a bipolor child and you would not believe how close it comes to a real bipolor person. People need to know about this order
    so they dont think bipolor people are crazy. If the word gets out and the general public
    can know how difficult to control this disorder. I love this show and it is a perfect look
    into bipolor.