Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Dale June 24, 2014 at 11:53 am

This is a GREAT show – please do not cancel. I think it will grow an audience given a little time and word of mouth.

Linda June 24, 2014 at 10:13 am

I have watched every episode of this show and love it. It may be confusing for someone who didn’t see the first episodes which explain the characters. I hope this show will not be cancelled. Maybe an earlier time slot will help. It had an earlier slot the last episode.

G. Rodgers June 24, 2014 at 10:09 am

Love the show, but Kelly Reily is not the right leading lady. Would be so much better and believable with an actress such as Amanda Peet or Evangeline Lilly.

Sharon June 23, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I LOVE this show…don’t cancel it. It is thought provoking and complex…great acting.

Becky June 23, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I LOVE this show! It needs more hype, more ads, something to propel the momentum. Everyone I have told about it has tuned in and also love it. Please don’t cancel, spend a little money and promote the show!

desiree June 23, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I absolutely love the show!

je . myers June 23, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Loved the show.

je . myers June 23, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Loved the show. Sorry to see it hit the rocks. It was smart and well written with such interesting medical facts. Want to see the rest of the sunshine episodes..

Christine June 23, 2014 at 5:07 am

Dont like the show. Have watched 4 episodes and am giving it up. When i find myself seeing how many more minutes a show is on its time to watch more interesting things. Think i dont like it cause she just does as she pleases & uses bi-polar as an excuse. While i know bi-polar is somewhat compulsive behavior she is showing skipping your meds is ok.

dg atk June 22, 2014 at 11:46 pm

I quit watching after the first 2 episodes. Great cast but no redeeming story to keep me in the audience.

Karin June 22, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I love the show!!! I’m so disappointed that it is not on TV right now. PLEASE renew it!!!!

Jaye Stone June 22, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Love the show, very interesting and realistic! Now that I am aware of the possible cancellation due to low ratings, (if it comes back on) I will definitely start watching it on Thursday nights instead of ONdemand! #fingerscrossed

Jaye Stone June 22, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Love the show, very interesting and realistic! Now that I am aware of the possible cancellation due to low ratings, (if it comes back on) I will definitely start watching it on Thursday nights instead of catching it on ONdemand! #fingerscrossed

Tami June 22, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I love this show!!!!! Please keep it on. I haven’t seen a new episode lately. Is it still on !?

John June 22, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Yes, it’s back on for now as I watched episode 7 just a few days ago, so it looks as if the remainder of the season will continue to run but as for a follow-on season, That’s still in question and I think it will depend mostly on public opinion as to whether we will see it return or not.
The Bipolar issue needs to be addressed and this show was doing a good job of introducing the disorder in a manageable way. My wife is full blown Bipolar and remains productive in a responsible job through a combination of medication and some dedicated support from myself, I introduced her to the show and she relates to the main character in so many ways, she finds it fascinating and was so very disappointed to hear of its possible cancellation.
All we can do folks, is to campaign for its continuation by announcing the value of the show in opening up some of the mysteries of Bipolar to the public at large.

Lucy June 22, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I love this show and already miss it. Its the best new show to come around.