Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Susan June 29, 2014 at 11:50 pm

I absolutely love this show! The acting is great and the storyline has so much potential! It definitely deserves a second season I would be so upset if it got cancelled! Dr Black is awesome and Dr Bigman is so handsome! KEEP BLACK BOX ON ABC!

Patricia Covert June 29, 2014 at 10:52 pm

In the absence of my favorite ABC shows, Nashville and Revenge, I decided to try Black Box. I am so pleased that I did, All the shows since the first episode have been so incredibly intriguing and well acted. The main character is totally fascinating, and her portrayer an excellent actress. I think it is also a very educational show, in the way it portrays the many things that can go awry with the human mind.. I agree with many of the others: it definitely deserves a full season, and perhaps some better promotional spots for it to help build an audience instead of ditching this excellent show.

Oh, I forgot to mention the evocative jazz that helps to set the mood!

Incidentally, ABC, I cannot believe that you are considering canceling Nashville!

Tracy June 29, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I sincerely hope that you do not cancel this show. It is one of the best I have seen in a long time. Please for once listen to your audience’s comments instead of your ratings. Not all people who watch the show are counted in the ratings. Is excellent and I hope you consider this. Thank you.

Deborah June 29, 2014 at 4:13 pm

This show could have some potential. Dr. Black is certainly different. And, her relationship with Bickman has some possibilities. However, they need to do something about her pending engagement. It’s not only that the character Dr. Black doesn’t wan to commit, Catherine and Will have absolutely NO on screen chemistry at all!

Stephanie Layton June 29, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I DVR-ed all the episodes of this show until my husband and I had time to watch them… We are now on episode 7 of 8. After the pilot, neither of us felt really compelled to see another episode, but since it’s summer and tree isn’t a lot else on tv, we gave it another chance. And I am so glad we did!! Excellent show that just keeps getting better with each new episode. LOVE it!!! Please do not cancel this show yet, ABC! Give it a chance to make it in the fall lineup!!

Donna & Joe June 29, 2014 at 1:40 pm

We really like this show! It’s INTELLIGENT! It deals with many issues such a mental illness, interracial relationships, medical & psycological, etc. It is well written & acted. Advertize it more & keep the viewers informed of the time slot it’s in. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!

Anonymous June 29, 2014 at 11:50 am

Excellent show! Horrible reviews by the so-called expert “reviewers.” Watching a pilot…or even a first episode…simple isn’t enough. In all honesty I didn’t like the first episode…started binge watching OnDemand and I absolutely love it!

Great acting, compelling stories, not your typical crime or anything-else drama…romance, complexities…highly stylized production. And…it will probably get canceled.

Ridiculous…

Julie Johnson June 29, 2014 at 12:41 am

It’s a unique show where people can actually LEARN something. Last year, ABC pulled the plug on, “Zero Hour”, another fine show…now Black Box? One show on all of tv that I look forward to each week. ONE. There is so much mindless drivel…back to reading.

Govandals June 29, 2014 at 12:35 am

Not original nor different. It’s a reboot of the god – awful ‘Do No Harm,’ which was a poor ripoff of jekyll and Hyde.

It treats mental illness as a cliche. It was a horrible idea for a show, that somehow got worse in execution.

Echo June 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Cancel? Low ratings? Hello?
I’m watching ep 6 and the voiceover lead-in said ‘Thursday hit drama Black Box next on A C.’ I have closed-captioning for a family member, so I’m very sure. And my ears work just fine, thank you; I know what I heard.
Hit drama.
Hit.

Martha kendrick June 28, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I really enjoy black box. Please give it a chance to build an audience. This show explores mental health and neurology as well as environmental influences, epigenetics in unique and entertaining ways.

Echo June 28, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I’m really getting tired of this. Every time a tv show DARES to be original and different, it gets canned before it even gets a chance to prove itself.
Hey, ABC, give it a chance! If all network execs thought the way you do, we would never have had the joy of years and years of MASH and Cheers.
Loyal fans deserve all the episodes.
And you all need to realize that not everyone likes that ‘reality’ crap.
You wonder why people don’t watch ABC? Because you forgot that not everyone is 18 or 30-something; and that a lot of us like to watch good, quality, different, innovative television — not the same old rehashed pablum we find on other channels.
Give Black Box a fair trial. Give it a chance. Do NOT kill it before it can live.
And do NOT leave us hanging. If you must cave in to crap culture and continue to think that people are actually believing that Bachelorette is totally spontaneous,
Give us a chance to continue to experience quality shows like ABC used to consistently provide.

Vicki June 28, 2014 at 7:29 pm

This show caught me by surprise. So often it is one or two characters who grab my attention, but in this show even the most minor characters are compellingly developed.
What it says to me is that all of us are so complex and fascinating, and a few of us have problems so bizarre that we can only imagine what it must be like. So we spend an hour with these people and are able to share their victories and mourn their losses, and feel a little bit better about our own lives. I think this show is lyrical and poetic in its celebration of humanity. At the very least, I hope we get to see all the episodes.

Kevin Kannewuf June 28, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Definitely should get a second season!

Diane June 28, 2014 at 10:25 am

I love this show. Please renew and let it grow next season.