Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Barb Moore July 24, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Black box is a very good show please renew

barb moore July 24, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Please renew black box . This a good show

Denise M July 23, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Please renew the show!!! It is brilliantly written! We need this show. Much better than “House” & it started out slow & was on for years! (Although I don’t think Black Box started out slow. I’ve loved it from the beginning!)

Jessica July 23, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I hope Black Box does not get cancelled! This is my favorite show! Definitely the best medical drama on television, it is very intellectual and oh so interesting. I love everything about it, the focus on mental illness, the fact that Dr. Black has one herself, its brilliant. The show is filmed beautifully and the jazz music… it is perfect! I really hope it is not cancelled. It is the BEST!!!

Debra sims July 23, 2014 at 8:30 pm

This is a great show! I have been talking to my friends about it and everybody loves it. I don’t get it. I’m so tired of big brother and the bachelor etc. please give us something here!

Tina July 23, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW!!! It is brilliant and really sheds light on different types of mental illness. Much needed….

Yvonne N. July 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Keep the show!! It’s intelligent and, yes, complex, but that is what makes it intriguing. Plus the fact that it’s based on true cases makes it more interesting. I will be disappointed if the show is cancelled.

Cheri July 23, 2014 at 10:34 am

This show is brilliantly written. As a sibling to someone who has bipolar and works in social work seeing kids/parents with this disease it really helps to understand how the brain actually works. Please keep the show going.

Barbara McCarley July 23, 2014 at 1:00 am

How do we know if ABC is considering any of these comments.? The 2 hour finale is this Thursday night, so since they are not even willing to show the other already filmed 9 episodes, it looks like they don’t care what we think. I’m so tired of tv catering to the 19 to 49 yr old market. We are a country full of baby boomers with time to watch tv and money to spend on products.

LYNN LELLO July 23, 2014 at 8:37 am

Barbara,
I agree with you, BUT WE HAVE TO BOMBARD ABC WITH PHONE CALLS AND WRITE THEM E-MAILS. WE, THE BABY BOOMERS CAN DO THIS.

Rona July 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm

You can write to ABC directly. I forget the link but it is to ABC, FEEDBACK

Rona July 23, 2014 at 12:55 pm

THAT’S TELLING THEM. WRITE THEM OR BETTER YET CALL THEM. YES BOMBARD THEM WITH BABY BOOMERS WHO ARE AT LEAST AS WORTHY AS AND HAVE MORE MONEY THAN THE YOUNG FOLKS.

Cathy July 22, 2014 at 7:18 pm

This show is wonderful. The characters are superb actors and the story line is unique.
I will be crushed if it is cancelled

Maggie July 22, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I find entertaining. Much more so then the shows already cancelled. Need 1 more seasonto developher character, could be so much deeper. Other characters need same. Hope you keep it, has potential.

Anonymous July 22, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I love the show and they aired it during the summer where people are not watching tv.

Alesta Davis July 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I think the “Black Box” started out slow and the show was too complex to casually enjoy. Over time the show has progressed and is now intresting and inovative. I love this show now.

kartik July 22, 2014 at 11:00 am

PLSSSSSSSSSSSS RENEW THIS SHOW!

Laurie peartree July 22, 2014 at 2:04 am

Gosh, I love the show.ABC always cancels the good shows, I. E. lipstick?