Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Yvonne July 25, 2014 at 10:07 am

This is such a great show. Please don’t cancel it!!!!!

Rita July 25, 2014 at 9:53 am

Love the show. Want more episodes. Don’t cancel. I will be sad

Sherie McFarland July 25, 2014 at 9:51 am

I love this fantastic show and think the brain issues it covers are so important in today’s world filled with mental illness issues going on today. I think possibly the title has not attracted television audiences to give the show a try, but I’m sure it will grow in popularity if given a chance. It is one of the best series I’ve seen in years and finally not another NCIS, which I refuse to watch at all. Is there some other website I can support the show not being cancelled?

Connie July 25, 2014 at 9:48 am

This is the best show on tv!! PLEASE don’t cancel & show rest of series!! I have alot of these issues! It’s about time someone addresses this. It puts in perspective that there are real people with real problems & that it should be hidden! We are people with problems and we are misunderstood! PLEASE, don’t cancel!! Renew for the 2nd season!!

GRsandi July 25, 2014 at 9:46 am

Nooooooooo I love Black Box!!! Last night’s episodes were spell binding.

Lucky July 25, 2014 at 9:42 am

Show is so good. It is different from most shows on now. Really hope it returns.

Jennifer July 25, 2014 at 9:40 am

Black box is absolutely fabulous! I will be extremely upset if it doesn’t return! I originally balked at the previews, but watched the first episode and fell in love! Excellent acting and unbelievable performances from Catherine Black actress!

Edie July 25, 2014 at 9:39 am

STAY we nurses at work Love it!!!

Connie July 25, 2014 at 9:36 am

This is the Best show on tv!! It’s about time the issues of the brain and the physical problems that are involved with it!!PLEASE, don’t cancel and show the rest of the shows!!

Margie Rose Dalton July 25, 2014 at 5:34 pm

DirecTV, said season finale. I sure hope this very important series will be back!!

kelley July 25, 2014 at 9:29 am

Don’t cancel Black Box and bring back Scandal!

sue July 25, 2014 at 9:23 am

don’t take this off the air!

EP July 25, 2014 at 9:17 am

Absolutely love this show! It is deep and well scripted as well as cast. I think viewership would increase with more exposure in advertising and/or marketing.

Diane July 25, 2014 at 8:51 am

Adult television that makes you listen and think. Look forward to it each week.
Good drama, good scripts and good grown up entertainment. Please don’t, DON’T
cancel.

Nan July 25, 2014 at 8:50 am

This is a very well done show, it captures the struggle people go through with bi-polar disorder. Maybe some people think the show is weird and it makes them uncomfortable but I think it’s great!
I get so tired of all these shows anymore coming and disappearing when you start getting interested in them. They don’t seem to get a chance. YET stupid shows seem to stay on. I don’t get it… Has the american mentality gone to stupidity like only wanting reality shows etc? ???

Anonymous July 25, 2014 at 9:06 am

Don’t cancel this show! And what, replace it with some stupid reality show, come on!

Anonymous July 25, 2014 at 9:39 am

I agree. I loved the show. I am so disappointed to think it has ended.

Sue July 25, 2014 at 11:49 am

I agree with you Nan. I am tired of shows coming and disappearing after you get interested. I hope they renew Black Box.

Mike July 25, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Nan, I agree totally with your comment. Piece of trash inane sitcoms and un-reality shows flourish because that is what caters to the ignorant masses. They are a mirror of the moral inepitude of the nation. They tune out shows like Black Box because they cannot understand anything with any measure of depth.

Rolando gamboa July 25, 2014 at 8:35 am

This show is “intelligent”, intriguing, mystirous in a way , though provoking and funny at times with a tremendously engaging and human story line. Done with a lot of class at a time when it seems most tv shows are geared towards 13 year olds or crime show addicts. The actors are phenomenal especially the lead role Dr.Black…wow!!! Please do not leave us few (6 million “few”?) viewers of this very high qualitie show with out it. The cancellation of this show would be a great loss to not only the public it has captured but also for TV as a whole!! This show is a “classic” in the making that if given the opportunity will for ever be part of the development of “great television”!!