Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

queenie July 25, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Love his show

Sherry July 25, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I didn’t like the beginning episode of this show, but I ended up loving the show. I will be sad if it doesn’t come back. It’s a good, original show with great actors.

Kathy July 25, 2014 at 12:55 pm

This show is riveting. The storyline is terrific and the actress is phenomenal. I cannot wait for the next weeks episode. I am so disappointed that the final was last night. It really would be a shame to cancel the series. Summertime is not the best time for people to watch TV.

Amy July 25, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Being very familiar with BPD myself, having a brother with this diagnosis that eventually committed suicide, this show is fantastic. While parts may be a little silly from a medical perspective, relationship issues are very accurate. This show has brought me to tears often and I’m hoping ratings won’t cause this great show to be canceled just yet. Advertising this show better within the mental illness community could be life changing and saving!

Banjoplayer July 25, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Please air the remaining episodes of Black Box. Those of us that appreciate the show deserve to see them.
Also, please DO NOT cancel this excellent show.

Thank you.

admin July 25, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Last night’s were the last episodes of the season. They’ve all aired.

Vinnie July 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm

This show is too good to cancel……It gets better and better each week. Please do not cancel this show.

p johnson July 25, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Absolutely loved The Black box. I really found the different series so interesting and knowledgeable.

Judith July 25, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I L O V E this show!!! Every episodes has something brilliant to offer in regards to how the brain works and I can’t wait till Thursday to hear more…. and to see how Dr. Black, her personal interests, her health, family, staff and patients are all progressing. I had no idea it was being considered for cancellation actually I was shocked. Hope to see Catherine and all the doctors again this Fall.

Sherry July 25, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I’ve watched every episode and really like the series. I think it’s very good and definitely hope it will be renewed for the fall season.

Kathy July 25, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Renew

Sharon July 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I had a brilliant aunt who was bipolar and the family nor I could understand what she was going thru. Even though my aunt is now deceased this show has given me a better understanding of what she was going thru. I think the show is enlightening, educational, it needs to stay on TV to educate all of us about mental illness in our society. Please, please, please keep it on the air…if not send it to HBO where I pay for quality educational shows and entertainment. Just as all the medical TV shows were the rave, this show about mental health issues is much needed for our society.

carol handley July 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Black Box has become my number 1 favorite show. Please show all the episodes and reschedule for next season.

Robin July 25, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Ditto for me.
I only saw one episode and was totally engrossed. I had to go on
the internet to see what Black Box was all about, it was that good. And now, there
is talk of cancelling it? I hope to see all the other episodes. And I hope they reschedule. I have never written about another show on TV before.
WAS there enough advertising? I never saw anything. Also, around 10pm the
TV is usually off. But, I’d certainly stay up for this one!

Martha July 25, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Please do not cancel. It is an excellent show.
Cancel the reality shows, keep this one!

jerry July 25, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Love it!!

Judi July 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm

This was the absolute BEST series on TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why did you cancel it????
The acting was fabulous and so was the subject content. The brain is so complex
and it brought out so many areas that fascinated me! Please renew this series or
you are going to have a lot of disappointed people!