Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

jan July 25, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Please Please don’t cancel Black Box. It’s one of very few shows for smart people.

Judy July 25, 2014 at 5:32 pm

How sad it would be if, in fact, they do cancel Black Box. It is an excellent show with great acting. It even has sex scenes which usually manages to get shows good ratings. I guess the stupid people who watch mindless TV will win out yet again!

Susan July 25, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I love BLACK BOX. It is excellent and the acting is superb. Why do they always cancel the best shows? I just can’t believe that no one watches this show. It is a winner in my book. EXCELLENT SHOW!!

Anonymous July 26, 2014 at 8:43 am

DITTO!!!!

Anonymous July 26, 2014 at 9:11 am

EVERYONE PLEASE BOMBARD ABC NETWORK WITHE MAILS AND TWEETS FOR A FALL RENEWAL!!!!! WE MUST KEEP THIS SHOW ALIVE!!!!

Diane July 25, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Just saw the finale. I’d love to see what happens next—that is if the show is renewed. I hope it will be. Great show and a very good cast who already work very well together. ABC, if you give this show a chance and some decent publicity, it will find a good audience.

robin July 25, 2014 at 4:52 pm

No I don’t want BlackBox to be canceled. I really like it. Very different premise, good acting and full of twists and turns. The finale last nite was so good!
robin

vg July 25, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I am totally obsessed with Black Box. I love the characters and story lines. Im sad the season is over and hope to see season 2. I dont want to be left hanging. Please dont cancel this show.

Sally July 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Please renew the series and show the remaining 9 episodes.Very interesting.

Linda July 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm

This show depicts what life is like for someone who is bi-polar. Having lived 17 years with a person suffering from this disease, I’m finally able to understand the turmoil and confusion associated with this disease. I love this show, and it would be a terrible injustice to cancel any episodes already filmed and not to renew it for a 2nd season. Please reconsider your decision.

Jennifer July 25, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Please don’t cancel this show. It is a great show.

Sheila July 25, 2014 at 4:24 pm

This is an exceptional show with an amazing actress playing an incredible role. Thank-you for allowing viewers to learn about a disorder that no one wants to talk about. Well done!

Connie July 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I love this show. Please show the rest of the episodes and DO NOT cancel. This show can help people with dealing with consequences and problem solving and encourging people to seek help when they feel lost and alone and afraid. I feel Dr.Black should be nominated for an award as she shows the many sides of a person who has bipolar issues. Excellent acting done by her.

Judy July 25, 2014 at 3:55 pm

My husband and I really enjoyed this show…very enlightening to a problem that is so difficult to deal with…makes us more understanding of a granddaughter…need more shows like this and less of the mindless, silly ones.

Debbie Rodriguez July 25, 2014 at 3:55 pm

as someone who is bipolar I love this show and think it should be given a chance. I will be devastated if it is cancelled after such a short “season”.

Ronnie July 25, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Renew this show. IT is intelligent. Story line and acting is really above good. LOVE this show but once again, you can pander to the non-thinking population with brain dead reality shows that have high ratings. THis show is excellent! Do not cancel. BTW, there are those of us above 49 who watch tv and have the purchase power to buy consumer goods.

Ronnie July 25, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Renew this show. IT is intelligent. Story line and acting is really above good. LOVE this show but than again, you can pander to the non-thinking population with brain dead reality shows that have high ratings. THis show is excellent!

Gail July 25, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Love this show! Have been hooked on the story line and great acting. So disappointed to hear it may be cancelled.