Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Nicole July 26, 2014 at 10:14 am

This show is the best! Do not cancel!! It is one of the most moving and beautiful shows on television in a long time!

Sunlit July 26, 2014 at 9:44 am

I love this show! Please do not cancel it! I watch it every week! I’m sure more people would if they knew of it.

Sunlit July 26, 2014 at 9:42 am

I love black box! Its very interesting, please don’t cancel it, and please show whats left. I watch this show every week. It’s one of my favorites! Please, please, please keep airing it!

stephanie July 26, 2014 at 9:25 am

Please do not cancel this show. I find it written beautiful and a fantastic cast. Please return the show. The ending has been angry and I look forward to seeing Ms. BLACKS RETURN to the Cube and her fiery love affair with Beckman.

Janet July 26, 2014 at 9:21 am

I love this show and would be highly disappointed if it were cancelled. At last, a show that is edgy in concept and with interesting characters in the story. I am getting tired of new music, wife swaps and dance reality shows and crime stories. Real criminals and mentally off-balance people get ideas from the crime shows. Please keep Black Box!

Maureen July 26, 2014 at 8:16 am

I love the Black Box,the story line and acting is superb….I really don’t want to see this canceled. I look forward to every week,the cast of characters are very interesting.Please don’t cancel……

Tammie July 26, 2014 at 8:13 am

I love Black Box!!!! Please DO NOT cancel.

adam July 26, 2014 at 7:30 am

I think the Black Box is a very good show. I agree it had a slow start to it, but it finally starting getting some juice to it. Now there are several things hanging in the balance which would set up a great 2nd season. Don’t cancel this show. Allow the viewers to see all the episodes once they are released to netflix, or on Demand. Then you will get a larger audience for the 2nd season.

Kathie July 26, 2014 at 6:57 am

I absolutely love this show, and I hope it will be renewed. A big problem I’ve had with ABC for quite some time is that they “give up” on really good shows based on ratings. Ratings from who? Only the 18-44 age crowd? What about us older folks (I’m 62) who want to watch shows that keep you interested and make you think. Please don’t dumb us down to stupid reality shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. Many of us love shows like Black Box.

PLEASE RENEW IT.

Rachel Hunter July 26, 2014 at 9:46 am

So beautifully said. I am a 64 year old all my friends are around the same age. We all love Black Box. I am truly praying the show will not be cancelled.

Judith July 26, 2014 at 6:29 am

I’m very surprised this show is getting such low ratings considering how many people are or know someone who is bipolar. It’s a great show with excellent characters. I would love to see the series renewed.

Judith July 26, 2014 at 6:29 am

CJ July 26, 2014 at 5:05 am

I can’t believe they would cancel this show so soon. They should give it more time. I mean finally a show that’s comparable to “House”! Yet it’s premise is different and so very interesting. I didn’t even think about the fact that it could help people that deal with the stigma attached to being bi-polar. (I apologize) I’ve read some negative reviews from people and I was shocked and sad. Maybe the subject makes them uncomfortable and that’s a good reason to keep it going. I hope ABC doesn’t cancel the show and in time it gains a bigger fan base.

Val July 26, 2014 at 3:47 am

Refreshingly great show. Dealing with a very real subject in medicine. Renew please.

DD July 26, 2014 at 3:25 am

Amazing performances by all the cast. ! I think Kelly Orielly is a superb actress and different from other actress. She really plays her role as Catherine extremely well. This show is refreshing and keeps me on edge. I look forward to every episode. DO NOT CANCEL!

Tom July 26, 2014 at 2:21 am

I have been intrigued with this show. It has a good balance of acting and story line. It at times makes me feel very uncomfortable as I watch characters portray events that at times border on bizarre but have a connect to people I have known or worked with. It is refreshing to experience a TV show that does not insult me with over simplified dribble. I hope a network does pickup a second season. The writers and the actors deserve a second season as well–they have earned it!