Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Justin July 26, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I’m bipolar too!!!!!

Justin July 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Please don’t cancel the show!!! It portrays mental illness as fact not fiction and that’s what’s important. Cancellation could damage all that Catherine worked for and would provoke the medical community! The ratings are not what they seem. They come from stigma and prejudice of mistaken people. The show must go on!!!!!

Geri July 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

We really enjoyed watching this series, my self and my husband. It is a pleasant change from the murder and mayhem programs. I enjoy Scandal, my husband endures it. We fervently hope this program will be back for another season. The cast on Black Box is superb!

Linda July 26, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I, too do not want this show cancelled. Have enjoyed it immensely for its depth and knowledge. I’m sure that when others discover it, it will become a highly rated show. Thank you

Jerry July 26, 2014 at 9:56 pm

This show is excellent, should not be canceled! All actors are great and the message given by the contents of the show is quite important. It sure beats all of the reality b.s. That we have to endure during a season. DON’ T CANCEL!!!

J July 26, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Black box is one of the best series on TV. It has depth and is intriguing. I find Kelly excellent in her role. Please Do Not Cancel this show. Cancel some of the trashy, nonsense shows that mean nothing.

Janet July 26, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Why is it that ALL the shows that have good acting and substantive material are cancelled? Instead we are subjected to comic drivel and night time soap operas. I know, maybe I should go back to reading books and playing mindless games on my tablet. Please don’t cancel Black Box!!!!

Stephanie M. July 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm

This show cannot be cancelled! The show is brilliant the actors are great and so is the scenario. Its different from all the other shows. This show is for the people who are intelligent and understand whats going on. In addition for those in the medical field. Why should we have to suffer? unfair to give us only season 1 and not know what will happen next.

Sue July 26, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Please don’t cancel this show. Best show on TV!!

Phyllis July 26, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Please do not cancel this show. Many people know how realistic this show really is. This show is fantastic. I would love to know how the writers got such excellent incite on bi polar. Please atleast run the remaining episodes.

Robin July 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I agree totally! I love the show and hope that ABC will give it a chance. Too many shows get canceled before they have a chance to get an audience! There are so many shows for the more mature audience that get canceled, and I for one am really tired of ALL the reality shows that seem to go on and on!!!

Kim July 27, 2014 at 4:57 am

I agree this show is ahead of all the “reality” tv out there!!
I think changing the time slot was a bad idea. It is too mature for the 8:00 audience.
Someone mentioned ratings when watching on demand.
I frequently binge watch shows. This is one of my favorites.
Funny, I find a decent show and it gets cancelled!!
The story of my life!!!

Sharon July 26, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Please don’t cancel the Black Box show. It is so different and hasn’t had enough time to be seen by enough people. The actors are great, the energy is tremendous! Please air all episodes! Many people have problems with bi-polar disease and the public needs education on how it is to live and try to function at a high level with the symptoms.

Barbara July 26, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I guess because this show is SO informative, interesting and not trashy, it doesn’t (as yet) have a big following. I rarely look at what’s on regular TV and and when I discovered this show, I was over-joyed and my rave reviews got several of my friends to tune in to watch it. And they all enjoy it as much as I do. At least, the remaining episodes should be shown. Give it another try!!!!!!!!

Pam July 26, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Don’tcancel! Discovered this show this summer and truly enjoyed. Looked forward to each episode. Can’t leave us wondering what’s going on at the ACube.

Laurie July 26, 2014 at 6:26 pm

LOVE this show!!! I think it has such emotion and depth to it. It’s refreshing! I think that it has such low ratings is that people may have not discovered it!! I mean — there has been SO many new shows out there…I just happened to gratefully discovered it! I PRAY it does not get cancelled. It is one of my favorite shows! I ADORE Kelly Reilly as “Catherine Black”. She brings such REAL emotion to her character. It’s believable, and moreover — it brings out emotion in myself. I hope this show stands the test of time because the finale I recently watched left me on such a cliffhanger! ABC — PLEASE renew “Black Box”!!!

Melissa Taub July 26, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Very well put, Laurie !!! I feel EXACTLY the same way !!! I LOVE this show !!! By far one of my all time favorites in my life …. I didn’t know I could rate it somewhere to help boost ratings…. UGH :-( They soooooo HAVE to renew this show…

Barbara July 26, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Show brings realistic stigma those suffering with
Mental illness endure. Keep show running
another season — believe ratings will improve.