Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

cristina July 27, 2014 at 2:03 am

Love the show but it has a few flaws needsmd consultant thing don’really happen that way in real life. Understand the limitations of one hour but it’s still wrong. Love the consent the surgeon is awesome Dr Black need to polish her act she feels fictitious as an MD but not on the sexual events. Maybe that’s why people didn’t like it she needs to vibrate in both roles the way HOUSE does. It hits you in the stellar plexus.

ginnpr July 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I guess you are one of the many that watch shows such as “big brother” – housewifes of – etc – those shows have a lot of flaws!!!!

Celia July 27, 2014 at 1:25 am

I LOVE this show and would love to see it continue!

Barbara Diamond July 27, 2014 at 12:56 am

Please don’t cancel this show. It’s one of the best. Wonderful story, great acting. And a show that makes you think and learn.

Kathy July 27, 2014 at 12:26 am

I can’t believe it’s even a question finally a show that isn’t like any other on television and you want to cancel it. Really??? bring the show back I’m sure you could find a time slot . I know cancel dancing with the stars ….also known as a waste of time !

sheila July 27, 2014 at 12:03 am

Please, please renew this show. I have a family member who is bipolar and this show has actually given a bit more insight to the wide range of possibilities of this disorder. It depicts the all too frequent fact that some do not stay on their meds for stability. Dr. Black portrays how intelligent and creative people CAN handle their disorder and continue to be successful but has also shown how, when treatment is not followed, the downward spiral can demolish all they have worked to achieve all their years. It is one of the best dramatic “reality” shows ………please don’t take this show off the air.

Kevin July 27, 2014 at 12:03 am

Love the show, hope it does not get canceled

nancy July 27, 2014 at 12:03 am

I like the black box, it brings to light a problem many people suffer in silence from. It has so much to offer viewers if you would just give it a chance.

Timothy July 27, 2014 at 10:52 am

Black Box is yet another choice to be dropped like Off The Map and Eli Stone? Sya it ain’t so, ABC!

tina July 26, 2014 at 11:54 pm

PLESE DONT CANCEL THIS SHOW. absolutely love thisshow…

Linda July 26, 2014 at 11:40 pm

My husband and I love Black Box.. Some of the shows they bring back are somewhat stupid… So hoping you bring Season 2…..

Tracie July 26, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Please don’t cancel this show! It is realistic and informs people about mental illness. My daughter and I love watching it together. We will be so disappointed if it is canceled!

Barbara July 26, 2014 at 11:29 pm

My husband and i watch blackbox together and think it’s a good show. Some of these horrible shows get renewed. I don’t understand. We want it to come back so please make it happen!! Thank you!! We really like it!!

bob.caple July 26, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Please renew second season.

Carolyn Nelson July 26, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I just started watching this series and have become interested in the series. I certainly hope it is not cancelled.

Lynn July 26, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Please don’t cancel Black Box. It is an awesome series. I am sure the the rating will imorove for Season . Please Please renew2

ron July 26, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Gee a show that makes you think, of course it will be cancelled, we need more Duck Dynasty etc. NOT