Black Box: Season One Ratings

Black Box on ABC ratingsABC gave Black Box a straight-to-series order and ordered 13 episodes without seeing a pilot first. They held it until late in the season (typically not a good sign) on Thursdays at 10pm as a replacement for their hit show, Scandal. Will Black Box live up to expectations? Will it be a ratings success and earn a second season or will it be cancelled instead? Stay tuned.

Black Box revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

8/7 update: ABC has cancelled Black Box after one season.

Final season averages: 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.41 million total viewers.

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here.

What do you think? Do you like the Black Box TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or be renewed for a second season?

liza carter May 26, 2014 at 1:39 am

keep this show on I love it and so does my sister we cant wait till Thursdays and it keeps us from having withdraws until scandal returns so keep it going its so worth watching

Jan May 24, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I love this new show, The Black Box!! I hope they don’t cancel it!!!

Anonymous May 22, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I have bipolar disorder. I was diagnosed 5 years ago, and I was hospitalized twice and given countless medication cocktails before I stopped taking them completely… I’ve found the best course of treatment for me to be a strong support system, exercise, a regular sleep schedule, and a very healthy diet with as little preservatives as possible. That being said, the operative phrase there is “for me”… this disease is different for everyone, as are the triggers. Some people spend more time in mania, some people spend more time in depression, some can go weeks, months and years without episodes, and some can go merely hours. There’s a reason that there is no cure, and that is that it is not a standardized illness.
I love this show because her mania is very close to my mania. I’ve experienced visual hallucinations during my absolute highs (usually after an alcoholic beverage or two, but not when actually drunk)… the kicker being, I didn’t know I was hallucinating in some cases until years later. EVERY TIME I’m manic, I experience the hypersexuality, and also the chronic lying that she does. And if the high is high enough, I can go from mania to dangerous depression in a matter of minutes… it just takes the right trigger.
I can’t claim that I understand bipolar disorder completely, but I can tell you that Kelly Reilly’s portrayal is something that I appreciate because I see myself in it.

Joshua Glowzinski May 18, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I really like this show. It is very odd. Cool jazz music. Very interesting stories. I am not surprised that some do not like it. It is very unique. Not for everyone. I hope it gets another season.

Jan May 24, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I do too!!!!

Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I don’t like it

Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 11:08 pm

It sucks

right in the middle May 11, 2014 at 3:56 am

OMG…so no, the show is not for everyone. So yes, they might be exagerating the symptoms… it’s fiction. If you want truth or facts, watch a documentary (might be good for some of you).
‘Who would go see this “doctor” ‘, and you know what your doctors do during their time off? Probably not, and most likely, since they are indeed humans, you wouldn’t want to.

The show seems fine so far, at least to me, nothing over the top but interesting enough.

Jan May 24, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I love this show!!!

Somey Atuchukwu May 5, 2014 at 12:11 am

for those that think black box is glamorizing mental disorders:
yes it is very glamorous that when she gets off her meds she almost kills herself, ruins every single one of her relationships, and wakes up to a mess that she has no idea how to clean up. Let me just say as a man suffering from several different mental illnesses: This show is as realistic as it gets, whether you want to believe it or not. It’s the cold, harsh, and bleak, truth about the life of people like me who suffer from this disease. It is also a TV show and cannot possibly bear to be medically logical in a 45 minute time slot but it gets the job done in such a magical, entertaining, and VERY personal way. I loved every second of it. I think if others with mental disorders watched it it could really help them not feel completely alone. Understand that there are others like them that suffer from the same things that society wants to label as “too much” or “just too damn sad to deal with”. On Catherine’s behavior, one should realize there is not just 1 type of bipolar disorder. Mental Illnesses greatly fluctuate from person to person. This is why it is such a long process to treat; to find that one specific combination of medicine and scheduling that suits that individual. So to say that Catherine’s behavior is so “illogical & unrealistic” and that it is further stigmatizing mental illness is actually more offensive and down right stupid than you think. If anyone is further stigmatizing mental illnesses it’s people who say and think things like that. “Illogical and unrealistic” can translate publicly into “he’s/she’s just doing it for attention & it’s all in their head”. If you truly do suffer from a mental illness and didn’t feel connected to the show, then you didn’t feel connected to the show. But I highly advise watching a few more episodes on a clear and objective mind and then see if your opinion changes. The show was and is an A++. I hope those who liked it and personalized themselves with it can repel it’s possible cancellation by spreading the word. Those who do not suffer from mental illness, which is a vast majority of ABC’S TV audience, probably won’t get it. It was very risky for ABC to put this out there on their network and I applaud them for that. But if us fans band together we can give this show the chance it deserves to reach more homes and let those suffering from mental illness know that they are NOT alone. This show is real. It is entertaining. And it is one of my personal favorites that I hope sticks around for a VERY long time. IF YOU SUFFER FROM A MENTAL ILLNESS, I FEEL THAT THIS SHOW WOULD SPEAK TO YOU ON A WHOLE ‘NOTHER LEVEL.

Juliet May 5, 2014 at 8:26 am

Somey,
I also suffer from bi-polar disorder and I have been treated for it for twenty years. I know very well that there are different cases and that each person has different experiences. I am glad that you were able to relate and found some comfort but I have to stand by my viewpoint that this show does not adequately resemble the illness at hand. I have lost many bi-polar friends to suicide and it was as dark and scary as you can get. They were not running and dancing and hearing jazz music befor it happened. I have personally helped people who go off of their medication and in less than twenty four hours that are in a tailspin manic phase and within the next eight hours they are stable and completely coherent. I am a law student and I openly talk about my mental illness to help educate our society who don’t understand it. I was hoping for a show that would give us a voice and I was seriously disappointed. “Homeland” is a show that very accurately portrays the struggles of this illness…this is a show that I connected as well as my entire family too. I suggest everyone watches it. Thank you for posting your experiences with everyone…the only way people will understand is if everyone shares personal stories about the different struggles.

Dianne Guilinger May 3, 2014 at 11:19 am

We have bipolar adult kids in our family. It led to our son’s suicide, and my daughter needs her meds to be “normal”. I hated this show. They are making it look like bipolarism makes you hyper-sexual. Just another excuse for tv to exploit mental illnesses, AND to exploit women sexually.

fuzzy kiwi May 2, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Badly written, badly acted and psychobabble to the max. I don’t see how they’ll even show the episodes they’ve paid for.

dji May 3, 2014 at 8:37 am

i knew this show would go right over most peoples heads. reading the comments most of you have no idea what this show is about. you are very superficial. how sad. the show is supposed to make you think. i guess most of you can’t.

nemo f May 6, 2014 at 4:38 am

We think this show stinks.

so its about mental illness, oh that’s right, I am supposed to automatically LOVE IT cause it’s about bi-polar disorder. Sorry, not gonna happen.

Yes it explores the dark side of the illness but it is badly written, poorly acted etc etc. And I am not going to watch it.

Jan May 24, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I love this show!! Every-time I love a new show it gets canceled. It doesn’t go over my head, I get it!

b jensen April 27, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Dreadful show. Who would go see this “doctor”. I would think she would be fired for
all the antics she obviously can’t control and refuses to control with medication.
And I can’t imagine anyone with this disorder is not horrified.

Sperguy April 26, 2014 at 9:57 am

I liked the show. I have a friend who is bi-polar and have seen the ups and downs of the disease and have worked with children with various mental conditions. Show is dark hope it stays. A more likely home would be FX.

Maureen April 25, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Terrible show. Too much too soon. Not educational but frightening and definitely not entertaining. Someone should have previewed it first. Definitely will not watch again.

Why Watch April 25, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Yet another beautiful and brilliant scientist out to strutt her stuff. Let’s remember not all scientists are beautiful, nor do they act like this. Pass on future shows.

dji April 25, 2014 at 2:20 pm

i like this show. i hope it stay’s. but i got a feeling the public won’t go for this. it’s very dark at the same time very true. this is how bipolar is. and people don’t like to see the bad side of people in a medical way. they like good out comes. this is not. she will battle all the way to the end. but i like it.

Anonymous April 25, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I agree with you, the public will most likely totally misunderstand this show since many don’t bother to learn how certain diseases work…they simply turn up their noses to things they don’t understand. I too liked this show for being bold enough to show the “ugly” side of what being bipolar is like. Shame if it doesn’t make it. We’ll see!

djac10 April 30, 2014 at 2:11 am

No, this is NOT how bipolar is. Not typically, anyway. It is rare to have visual hallucinations like the ones they are portraying. It is rare for there to be such a fierce manic episode after missing only 1 dose of meds. Someone that unstable would never be able to stay in such a high-demand job. If she wasn’t fired already, she would have wound up hospitalized.
I HOPE the public doesn’t go for this, because it is a very inaccurate portrayal of how this disease works, and only increases the stigma of bipolar disorder. Most people are able to function almost normally, and positively contribute to society.

Anonymous May 2, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I agree, djac10, this is NOT how being bi polar is for every single person who suffers from it. I am bipolar and not once have I had hallucinations and I agree that missing only one dose of meds will not throw someone into that fierce of a manic episode. Not every individual who is bipolar has the same symptoms and goes through the same manic and depressive episodes so there are no cookie-cutter rules that are set in stone about how the illness manifests itself. Some people have more severe episodes than others. However, I can’t help but feel that, from my own experience with being bipolar and knowing someone else who has it worse than me, the symptoms and the characters reaction to them and how she chooses to deal with her condition as a whole is exaggerated for the benefit of the show. This character has a severe level of instability, as it is being portrayed in this show, and for her to actually choose that instability knowing what she does for a living and knowing the situation of her life (her daughter, her on-again-off-again boyfriend, etc.) is incredibly irresponsible. I feel it does a great disservice to real sufferers of bipolar disorder. We’re not monsters, we’re not demons, we’re not crazy and we’re not psychos.

I’d like to see just one show have a bipolar character in it that doesn’t overstep the bounds of that person being someone who has a condition that can be managed; that can be worked with rather than showing them as crazy, uncontrolled people that should be feared. I’d like to see the human side of the illness shown rather than the stereotypical side and stereotypical reaction. Choosing the age-old “creative license” stereotype route just makes it harder for those of us who are bipolar. It does nothing to help educate about the illness and does an amazing job of helping perpetuate the fear of it.

Anonymous May 13, 2014 at 1:36 pm