Black Box: Season One Ratings

Black Box on ABC ratingsABC gave Black Box a straight-to-series order and ordered 13 episodes without seeing a pilot first. They held it until late in the season (typically not a good sign) on Thursdays at 10pm as a replacement for their hit show, Scandal. Will Black Box live up to expectations? Will it be a ratings success and earn a second season or will it be cancelled instead? Stay tuned.

Black Box revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

8/7 update: ABC has cancelled Black Box after one season.

Final season averages: 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.41 million total viewers.

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here.

What do you think? Do you like the Black Box TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or be renewed for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

472 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jenny Morales says

I love this show, Please do bring Black Box back for a second season. Rating are not always everything, especially When you have a show that can help people understand someone with mental illness. I believe that if the show wouldn’t have began late in the season, and wouldn’t have been changed from Thursday to Tuesday without letting viewers know. The rating would have been better. Thank you for your time,

• kae says

even though the show is good . the network will have to cancel it, as if the ratings are down then they don’t make money through ads .

2. Molly says

Please bring this show back into the fall lineup. Everyone I have told about it is hooked. Kelly Reilly and the ever so elegant Vanessa Redgrave’s acting is the best of any program on television today. It is so well written it would be a shame not to expand on this story. All of the actors are wonderful.

3. mpulkownik says

Fantastic show regarding bipolar and mental illness. Please let it return for a second season. It helps bring understanding to a misunderstood mental illness.

4. lkayrant says

Please do not cancel Black Box. As a person who suffers and there is a family history of depression and bipolar, this show is smart, gets to the heart of mental illness, well written, and dives into what people actually go through. It is the the CSI of mental illiness. Even though the ratings were low, it is the summer time and I feel this show would do well in the fall or winter.
    Thank you.

5. patricia morrissey says

I am hoping The Black Box returns for season II…I thorougly enjoyed it…Kelley is superb in it…and also the rest of the cast are very good…I would hope it returns with the cliff hanger of “You’re Fired'” ended the season finale….I’d like to see the nurse who screwed Dr. BLack over and ratted her out, so to speak get hers, and good A–s kicking from the Doctor she had an affair with, but knew He was in Love with Dr. Black…how vindictive..and low…..anyway, I’m waiting anxiously for season II

6. Sally Giovannelli says

We love this show unique and interesting. One we like almost as much as we did House.
    Dont cancel it!

7. Linda Conrad says

Great show. Please do not cancel. Every person I’ve told to watch it loves it. Kelly does a great job. More people need to be aware of mental illness. Again love this show. I don’t think many people knew about it and what it was about.

8. Kim says

This is a wonderful show. It shows the insight into a very real problem in our society , mental health. Which is often ignored for lack of knowledge. The TV giants would rather air reality shows of house wives pulling each others hair out but will cancel a show that has structure. Not pleased about the cancellation.

9. Charles ingram says

Please don’t cancel this show. She is so Crazy and I can’t predict what’s going to happen. Love this show. Do not cancel. ..

• patricia morrissey says

I feel the same way…she is sooo crazy and portrays a Bi Polar sufferer so well…she’s a wonderful actress…Love this show…

10. says

Please renew Black box. Its summer time and a lot of people dont have time to sit and watch shows when they air but everyone I know watches this show on Demand or DVR’s it and loves it. There r very few shows that I can actually sit and watch but this one I absolutely love and can’t wait to watch the next one. Don’t cancel this. Give it another chance and show more commercials for it.

11. Sandy says

Great, great show…….powerful…..do not cancel!!! Needs to start again in the fall lineup!!
    So SICK of all the reality shows!!!

12. Melissa says

This is a wonderful show! Very different from other shows on tv right now. I definitely think it should be picked up for a second season! I was hooked from the very beginning :)

• pstukowski says

I would recommend renewal of black box. The show is well acted and has an intriguing premise with respect to the complexities of the mind which science is still baffled by. This show is pure mind blowing entertainment. Many thanks to the actors and actresses.