Black Box: Season One Ratings

Black Box on ABC ratingsABC gave Black Box a straight-to-series order and ordered 13 episodes without seeing a pilot first. They held it until late in the season (typically not a good sign) on Thursdays at 10pm as a replacement for their hit show, Scandal. Will Black Box live up to expectations? Will it be a ratings success and earn a second season or will it be cancelled instead? Stay tuned.

Black Box revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

8/7 update: ABC has cancelled Black Box after one season.

Final season averages: 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.41 million total viewers.

Note: If you’re not seeing the updated charts, please try reloading the page. You can also see them here.

What do you think? Do you like the Black Box TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or be renewed for a second season?

Gabriela August 7, 2014 at 12:13 am

Even though I do not have anybody with this condition at home, we encounter individuals with it everywhere learning to live a better life: at work, in the public spaces, or just waiting for the subway/metro bus. Specifically, this show is remarkable because makes us think about this condition through a different and more accessible understanding of the human brain: the cast is excellent–all of them, the writers are brilliant, and it counts with a well put it together production. The most important factor to mention here is the ending of the episode 13. If the show ends in that way, the message to the general audience does not provide any positive alternative; it does not present a solution and it may be interpreted as a destiny without any hope for the individuals who are trying to adjust to their own biology. The show deserves a better ending and each of the characters deserves the necessary time to develop and come together to work towards a more satisfactory future. I hope to see a second or more seasons coming.

Anonymous August 7, 2014 at 12:05 am

Mary Moll August 6, 2014 at 9:23 am

Familiar with bipolar disease from an inlaw, The acting very compelling. Kelly portrayal of mania impressive! People could learn from this show. They want to run away from reality I guess.

Jan August 5, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I adore this show! Great story line and superb acting! Moving it from late night time slot into the early evening time slot may have lost many of the 18-49 demographics! This show deserves another season! Hype it up and bring it back!

Connie August 5, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Love Love this show! Please Bring us more!

Janelle August 5, 2014 at 12:22 pm

This is a fantastic Show. I was out of the country for a few weeks and couldn’t watch but immediately when I returned I caught up on on-demand. I absolutely love it! It is so insightful- into the world of the brain. Like nothing that is on tv. It’s amazing. Science mixed with romance. It’s absolutely genius. Enough reality shows. Reality shows are getting old. Instead – shows like black box are amazing! Please keep it going.

JanGrant August 4, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I love this show. The best show no one has heard of. Do more advertising. Very smart and interesting.

Marnie August 4, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Very good show! Good acting, interesting plots, compelling drama. Please don’t cancel!

Janet August 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I loved blackbox. Please don’t cancel!

Kaylah August 4, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Please please please renew it. Now that esme knows I have to see what happens!

Sarah August 4, 2014 at 10:43 am

Please, please renew this show!!!! It’s about an important and little understood subject matter, and I loved it!!!

ANGELA ARTIS August 4, 2014 at 1:16 am

I LOVE THIS SHOW! I LOOK FORWARD TO WATCHING IT EVERY WEEK! PLEASE BRING IT BACK, SO TIRED OF INVESTING IN SHOWS AND THEN THEY GET CANCELLED! NBC IS GOOD FOR THAT, THATS WHY I CHANGED TO ABC… DONT LET ME DOWN!

helen August 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW. It’s a smart show. I expecially like the pairing of her and that doctor- please don’t cancel-

Nina August 3, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I really love this show so I’m sure it will be cancelled. ABC = Always Be Cancelling.

Alice August 2, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I hope with all my heart this show doesn’t get canceled. Kelly Reilly’s performance is flawless in every episode and her character is a true gem. If I had watched this show years ago I’d probably be studying neurology by now!