Blood Ties: Will It Return for Season Three Or Has It Been Cancelled?

Blood TiesDespite being on Lifetime for less than a year, supernatural drama Blood Ties has developed an intensely devout following. Still, the last two episodes of the season were aired online only. Has the series been cancelled or will the vampire return for more adventures?

Blood Ties is a Canadian series that’s based on the books of fantasy author Tanya Huff. Set in Toronto, the series follows private investigator Vicki Nelson (Christina Cox) who left the police force when she began to lose her eyesight. She ends up partnering with mysterious Henry Fitzroy (Kyle Schmid) who turns out to be a 480-year-old vampire and the illegitimate son of Henry the VIII. The two slowly become attracted to one another, a situation complicated by Vicki’s relationship with her former partner, Mike Celluci (Dylan Neal).

The show premiered on March 11, 2007 on Lifetime Television in the U.S. and began airing several months later in Canada. While the first season of 13 episodes was still airing, Lifetime ordered a second season of nine more (the 22 episodes were actually originally produced as a single season). Lifetime had other programming scheduled for the summer months so the “second season” didn’t begin airing until October 12, 2007.

The show aired as part of Lifetime’s “Psy-Fridays” line-up, alongside Lisa Williams: Life Among the Dead and America’s Psychic Challenge. According to TV Guide, because the other two shows ran out of episodes, Lifetime opted to rework the night’s schedule and relegated the two remaining Blood Ties episodes to an online release.

Lifetime hasn’t officially cancelled the show but the “online exclusive” treatment is usually reserved for a series that’s finished. So, if Lifetime cancels the series, is that the end? Maybe, or maybe not.

There is already interest in continuing the series among Canadian broadcasters but a U.S. partner is likely needed to help with the financing. Without that backing, we could have a rerun of what happened to the Falcon Beach teen drama last year. When ABC Family decided against a third season, it wasn’t financially possible for Canada’s Global TV to pay for Beach on its own and the show was cancelled.

If a new U.S. channel is found, Blood Ties executive producer Randy Zalken says the series will certainly be back. He told Eonline, “The sets are still available – they’ve not been destroyed – our talent is very eager to come back, and our show runner, Peter Mohan, is standing by.”

Zalken doesn’t believe the ongoing writers strike would be standing in the way if Blood Ties were to get a season three greenlight. He said, “I don’t think the strike is going to hurt us, because Canadian writers are not hindered by the U.S. guild rules. So, we can be delivering new shows for the fall – I guess that’s more than a lot of [U.S.] producers are saying now.”

Nice as that sounds, Zalken may be underestimating the WGA support of Canadian writers. Blood Ties author Tanya Huff had been writing episode commentary for the Lifetime website but stopped in support of the writers strike. Blood Ties screenwriter Denis McGrath is a solid supporter of the WGA strike as well.

For now, we may have to wait until Lifetime makes a final choice to either cancel or to renew the series. Part of their decision may hinge on how well the Blood Ties reruns perform next month. The entire series will be rerun on weekend nights beginning Saturday, February 9th. Will the vampire series rise again? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Erin August 25, 2013 at 8:56 am

Okay so its been nearly seven years since the shows been cancelled. Honestly wtf? At the moment there is a total vampire revival and everyone loves it. If anyone had any sense a third series should be made. I mean come on!!! Im fifteen and obsessed, this series beats twilight and vampire diaries hands down. The time has come to BRING IT BACK!!!

kayla July 7, 2014 at 1:04 am

i completely agree im now watching it and i love it and they should bring it back!!! also it couldnt hurt to see more of henry!!

Amanda July 28, 2014 at 1:19 am

I agree they really need to bring back Blood Ties I really want to know what happens next. It’s a hugh tease. I feel sad and disapointed.

Olga July 2, 2013 at 7:07 am

This is my TwitLonger https://twitter.com/olga_pavlovich_/status/351742446025195521 I sent yesterday to Kyle and Kristina. And they answered me, I’m so happy! Kyle said “would have loved to continue, but network didn’t renew” ( https://twitter.com/iamkyleschmid/status/351745589685391360 ). I loved this series so much and I wish it to be properly finished; at least we need two more episodes of the 2nd season if they don’t have money for more :/

mallie May 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

I have both seasons on dvd and my bf and i love the show. He and i were so mad how it left off. Bring it back

Row March 11, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I’ve been waiting for the next season for a long time. Finally found *some* of the books by Tayna Huff and devoured them in a matter of days. I’m hoping that there will be a movie made based on the books/series sometime in the near future. There are STILL major FANS out here waiting for MORE. Please, give us more

tami February 24, 2013 at 6:26 am

I just seen this and wow im in luv. why would u not have a season 3 and more thats just stupid not to.

Traci February 7, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I just started watching the series. I love it. Bring it back.

Vastilla November 25, 2012 at 12:36 am

Please make a season 3! The last episode was very weird. Who does Vicky choose? What happens to her assistant? Will Astaroth be back? If you can’t make a season 3 please at least make an episode or 2 that answers our questions!

So November 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

please bring back the show! season 2 ended very weirdly. I want to see a season 3!!. I loved that show, one of my favorite and better than most shows on air right now.

desirae September 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I was in love with Henry and they just took my man away :( i mean wtf its like all the good supernatural shows are being cancelled.

Bess July 13, 2013 at 10:10 am

IKR!!!! It’s the exact same thing with this one vampire show called Moonlight! It was such an amazing TV Show but then because of the stupid writers strike they had to cancel it without just making one more episode to answer all of our last few questions!

Tsumaru June 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yeah bring the show back Look! D: more then 260 people like this show

Nicole May 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Please please you have to bring these series back!!!!

Christina March 13, 2012 at 8:34 am

Please bring it back… i absolutely love this series

Sarah February 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Bring it back ! I want 3 season ans more ! I think a lot of wants that ♥

jessica November 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aggie julie July 17, 2011 at 6:28 am

i loved the show so much that i dont want it to come to an end so plizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbring it back.