Blue Bloods: Tom Selleck’s New Series for CBS; Cancel or Keep It?

Blue BloodsLast week, CBS premiered their new Friday night cop series, Blue Bloods. This marks the return of Tom Selleck to CBS in a regular TV show. His last series for the network, Magnum PI, lasted for eight seasons. Will this one last as long or be quickly cancelled?

Blue Bloods revolves around the Reagans, a multi-generation family of New York City cops. The series stars Selleck, Bridget Moynahan, Donnie Wahlberg, Will Estes, Len Cariou, and Dylan Moore.

Last week, Blue Bloods debuted to a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 13.01 million total viewers. That was enough to be the most-watched show in its timeslot and for the whole night in both categories.

What do you think of Blue Bloods?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

By historical comparison, that’s a significant improvement in the timeslot. Last season’s sixth season premiere of Numb3rs attracted just a 1.8 in the demo and 8.10 million viewers.

CBS is no doubt very pleased with this performance and, as long as these numbers hold up week after week, it seems like Blue Bloods will be around for quite awhile. Based on a breakdown of the ratings in 15 minute increments, almost all of the people who tuned in for the premiere stayed to watch the entire episode. That’s a good indication that most of them will be back for episode two.

What do you think? Did you tune in to see Blue Bloods? Is the show worth watching or should it be cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

165 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

wife and I love this show…particularly the story lines which are engrossing to say the least, but what we really like is the show has time for family Sunday dinners that exude family and Christian values…aka the family that prays together stays together…Keep it up Blue bloods…!!!

2. Julianna Legg says

Blue Bloods is the only reason I keep Direct TV. Once it gets cancelled I cancel Direct TV. Been a Tom Selleck fan since Magnum P.I. days. Have most of his films and all of Magnum TV shows. He is a fine man! Love the show.

3. says

I watch it every week and really enjoy the show. I have been a Tom Selleck fan for many years. I watch for new Jesse Stone movies.

4. Donna says

Finally!!! A show worth watching . So much Class and so much Love of Family and thier work. Please don’t cancel this show!!!!

5. Erik says

Great discussion material with multiple generations sitting around the dinner table. A thing of the past that oughta occur more with today’s family.

6. Joy Barker says

Blue Bloods is my favorite show and one I look forward to each week. Eagerly awaited the first show after reading about it in the paper. Tom Sellect has always been my favorite and with Blue Bloods the whole cast is great. Definitely a keeper

7. j mekech says

Can anyone tell me how many people live in the house on “blue blood” ? I love the family thing all sitting down for dinner. I want to create that in my home but not sure how to make that happen

8. Michele Reilly says

The show is beyond belief. It makes you feel that you are part of their family. I do not miss an episode and I record and watch them again and again – it never gets old. I guess I can relate, as my son is a police officier and I could not be more proud of him and his accomplishments.
    I hope the show runs for a long time. Tom Selleck and he entire cast fit together so perfectly and the acting is first rate. Show if first rate!!!

9. charlotte madison says

please put some gray hair on tom selleck. it looks as if his hair is painted on. he is supposed to be a grand father…even if its a toupe add some gray. and his mustache too.

10. Jill says

At last! A show that contains everything a viewer could want in a series: family unity, action, good actors, good storylines & Tom Selleck. I hope this show stays on for a good long time. I find myself wishing each episode doesn’t end. I never thought anything could equal my long-time favourite Law & Order, but this one tops it by far.
    Thank you CBS.

• Rayda says

Totally agree. My daughter and I love the family unity and yet the reality of the show. It’s also nice to see a police commissioner with such integrity as Selleck’s character displays. I love his down to earth no-nonsense character! Definitely a favorite in our home!

• Anonymous says

Please, keep, Blue. blood. on. It is our most favorite show on the air.
      All the actors are wonderful! WE would be so sad to see it go.
      We wait all week to see it. And have it to tape all series.

Jim and Barbara Cassello
      From Fredericksburg Texas

11. Anonymous says

This is a fantastic television show. I look forward every Friday night in watching it when it is on. Please keep this show on telvision for a long time. It has a great storyline with fantastic actors. What more do we need for Friday night entainment?

• Martha Gandee says

I have been a fun of Tom Seleck since “The young and the restles,” The Rockford files, Magnum P.I. etc. and this show has everything most shows lack today, I never miss it . I even watch the reruns.