Blue Mountain State: Cancelled; No Season Four

Blue Mountain State canceled season fourThe game is over for Coach Daniels (Ed Marinaro) and his team. There won’t be a fourth season for Blue Mountain State. The Spike TV series has been cancelled.

The comedy series revolves around the on and off-field antics of Pennsylvania college football powerhouse, Blue Mountain State. Coach Daniels has his hands full with the hijynx of his wife (Denise Richards) and students like team captain Thad (Alan Ritchson), quarterback Alex (Darin Brooks), and team mascot Sammy (Chris Romano).

The comedy performed decently for Spike in season one and realized significant gains in season two. The cable channel reported that the series saw a 33% increase with men 18-34, a 50% climb in men 18-24, and a 14% increase with men 18-49.

Total viewership dropped however in season three which kicked off this past September. While some episodes of season two had attracted 1.25 million viewers, at least one episode of season three garnered only half as many viewers. Spike TV aired the last two episodes of the season on November 30th. It turns out they’ll also be the last of the series as well.

Should BMS have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Lionsgate, the studio that produces Blue Mountain State, apparently considered shopping the series to other outlets but it didn’t work out. The cast and crew were recently told that season four wouldn’t be happening.

While it’s been reported that the show was cancelled due to a decline in ratings, producer Eric Falconer says differently. He tweeted, “BMS wasn’t cancelled because of a drop in ratings. Season 3 was actually up 20% + in all male demographics vs S2. It was a budget issue.”

As recently as last week, Falconer was still hoping to hear that the show had been picked up for season four. However, it seems that State was actually living on borrowed time with Spike — even during season three. Last August, Spike TV executive VP Sharon Levy told Variety that the cable channel would be focusing on only non-scripted programming for the immediate future.

Of the cancellation news, Ritchson wrote, “Sad day for #BMS fans.” He followed that up with, “I can’t thank the dedicated cast, crew, and fans enough for all the love and support. Portraying Thad was a dream come true. I’m grateful.”

Brooks thanked the cast and crew and “everyone who made this show possible…a HUGE thank you!! Love you guys!!”

What do you think? Are you sorry that Blue Mountain State has been cancelled? Would you follow the show to another channel? Would you be interested in a BMS movie?

austin gravess January 5, 2013 at 2:35 am

Definatley needs to be another season. Watched the seasons over more than 3 times.

Antonio January 5, 2013 at 12:01 am

Like many of you I came upon this awesome show on netflix, I was so hooked from the beginning that I watch all the episodes within 4 days, this show was just plain awesome, sad thing that it got cancelled, I really hope someone picks it up and airs season 4 this year would definitely watch

Ryan January 4, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I have loved this show so much I hope there will be a 4th season on a different network but if not go fuck yourself spike for letting a great show go to waste

Tuxi January 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Such a shame :(. Started watching this on netflix and finished today :(. Only good show on spike t be honest, the rest are a bunch of scripted reality show bs.

jclout24 January 3, 2013 at 10:53 pm

same thing here just finished on netflix today. Awesome show, wish there was a season 4.

Logan January 2, 2013 at 5:21 am

By far the best/funniest show series I have ever seen! I have no clue why it lost viewer ratings, this show pumped me up every time I watched it! Come on guys!!! We need BMS back on, a movie would be ten times better! I just finished BMS today on Netflix, I was SO bumbled that there wasn’t a season 4); pleaaase, we need this show back!!

Jack January 2, 2013 at 4:17 am

BMS was one of the best TV series ever made. It should have been cancelled and SHOULD come back.

kyle December 31, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Started watching it on netflix and finished in about a week or two. After I finished I started searching Tv for season 4 and I couldn’t find it so I looked it up on the internet

Roy December 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Loved the show I want to see it continued a movie would be sick but I want to see Alex go pro

Alex December 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm

One of the best series I’ve ever seen.. Absolute fun and cool actors. Just awesome! I hope they renew it for another season in 2013.

jeff December 29, 2012 at 12:05 am

This show was the first thing i looked for when i got Netflix. If another channel mans up and takes on this show, im sure it will be a success. I know i will follow it if the y make another season!!!!!!

Phillip D December 29, 2012 at 12:03 am

This was the only show I ever watched on spike….or tv in general i wish it was neverending

andrew December 26, 2012 at 12:35 am

BMS was funny as hell, I was dissapointed that there would be no season 4.
Good job spike, more unscripted reality crap like true tv multiple car towing shows is exactly what viewers want.

Debaser December 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I absolutely loved BMS until the last few episodes of season 3. It went from great to terrible. If that’s the direction BMS was headed, stick a fork in it.

Phillip D December 29, 2012 at 12:04 am

nah they were just in a slope every show has it’s bad episodes

Gunner February 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Couldn’t agree more with your assessment! I just finished Season 3 and was aghast at how terrible the finale and preceding two episodes were! But overall, the rest of the show was hilarious and I’ll recommend it highly.

Dee December 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I was a late comer to bms however I always wanted to watch it. I caught up with it on Netflix and was geared up and excited about season 4. The characters are so hilarious. Too bad it was cancelled.

Tommy December 18, 2012 at 8:07 am

I have watched BMS all 3 series over and over again, and i don’t understand why they’r not making a season 4 :(

please make a season 4 or make something new, but something about the same!
It’s the best humor i have ever seen, and the actors are so natural when they preforme, it’s just so wrong to shut it down and not make a new one..