Bomb Girls: Cancelled, No Season Three But…

Bomb Girls canceledShaw Media in Canada has cancelled Bomb Girls after two seasons. The TV series airs on Global Television in Canada and on ReelzChannel here in the US.

Bomb Girls revolves around a group of Canadian women who work in a munitions factory as they build bombs for the Allies during World War II. The cast includes Meg Tilly, Jodi Balfour, Charlotte Hegele, Ali Liebert, Antonio Cupo, Sebastian Pigott, Peter Outerbridge, Anastasia Phillips, Jim Codrington, and Lisa Norton. Rosie O’Donnell guest-starred during the second season.

Though there won’t be a third season, Global has ordered a two-hour movie that will wrap up the series. A release notes that it “will conclude the rich storylines and the amazing journeys of these beloved characters which have strongly resonated with the show’s loyal fans.”

The TV movie will air in Winter 2014 in Canada. It seems likely that Reelz will purchase domestic rights to air the conclusion around that same time.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Bomb Girls has been cancelled? Are you looking forward to the movie?

Christine May 6, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I’ll really miss Bomb Girls. It was one of my favorite shows. I loved the characters and the storyline and seeing the period costumes and sets. Educational and fun. Since some of the show was filmed within walking distance of my house, it was also fun to see parts of my neighbourhood in the show.

While it’s great that there will be a special to tie up the loose ends, I think there was lots more room than that to continue the story. Too bad this isn’t going to happen.

Rachel May 4, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I agree that sucks the series was great I couldn’t wait to watch the shows and now it’s done I hope they come with the season 3 I hate when shows do that . I felt like I was part of it, hard working woman and like to have fun well I hope it comes back

Marnie Reiche May 4, 2013 at 3:21 pm

that sucks!! I loved that show! They should not cancel it!!

Mary Lou May 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I can`t believe that an amazing series is being cancelled. It`s the only show I watch on Global. I actually stopped watching Murdock to follow the show.
Who makes these ridiculous decisions….. Shouldn`t you stick with a winner……

McKenna Jaymes May 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I am so bummed about Bomb Girls! I have come to love the show; great story lines, interesting history lesson and diverse characters/cultures. I really love the period clothing, music, cars and venacular of the day. What a shame :( I guess there wasn’t enough sex and swearing?!

F. Robertson May 1, 2013 at 1:40 am

Would like to see a third episode. Wonder how to find out when the movie will air in Canada?

Candace Webb April 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm

There is an campaign from fans to get Shaw Media & Globaltv to reconsider their decision on this. Please help us to #SaveBombGirls good Canadian television is rare and it’s just beginning to be appreciated in the US. #BombGirls need our help, they would support the war effort & we should support them.

Grandma Pooh April 25, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Love the show.Really good series- anything that is worthwhile watching is always cancelled. Shame!

Bonnie April 24, 2013 at 11:30 pm

My husband and I love love this show! My grandmother’s name was Gladys and she worked in the munitions factory. I’d like to believe this is a realistic look at life back then and what she must have experienced. In any case, we look forward to each interesting episode watching actors that know how to act as compared to those so called mindless “reality” shows that look all the same. Sooooo sad….can’t wait for the movie though!

Nadine April 24, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I am deeply saddened by the cancellation of Bomb girls. I just got hooked on it and it s one of the few series I watch on Tv. Shame o shame

Cathey Spence April 24, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I am so sorry to see this show cancelled. It was just really starting to hit its stride. So many interesting characters to explore. So does this mean they will fill that time slot with another mindless reality show?

Becky M (@Quigley20) April 23, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Incredibly disappointed by the news. I love this show and don’t feel Global TV gave it enough time to grow outside of Canada. I watch it on Reelz Channel here in the US and everybody I have gotten to try the show have become addicted to it. #savebombgirls

Georgia April 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Sorry to hear this GREAT series has been cxancelled. Glad that there will be a 2-hour movie for closure though!!

Shauna April 23, 2013 at 4:22 am

I have really become a fan of the excellent shows from Canada and Bomb Girls was no exception. I’m just relieved that there will at least be a concluding movie and I will trust that we won’t have to wait any extra time to see it in the U.S.

I’m a disabled, senior, but one of the things that I really enjoyed about watching Bomb Girls was being able to experience the response of young adult viewers to this excellent and compelling series that gave them the opportunity to compare their lives & attitudes with those of young people facing WWII. It was obvious that some of our young adults knew historical facts that got them through school, but just as obvious that they had not given much thought to the similarities in their lives with folks who didn’t see a driver’s license as a birthright and many who had grown up without a telephone in their own home. Actually, I was impressed at the sympathy they expressed for their older counterparts – sympathy for the fear they had to deal with, sympathy over their rapidly changing world, and sympathy for everyone over the loss of somewhat simpler times. This show was a pleasant and entertaining look at an earlier time, but a time that still has connections to our lives today. The actors were very easy to grow close to – to admire and like most of them and even to hope that a swift kick to the seat of the pants would be enough to straighten out those we didn’t care for as much. It was great to see the older fashions and styles – clothes & hair styles, but even cars, architecture, furniture, etc. I wasn’t certain how much I’d like the show when I watched the first episode, but I never missed an episode after that first one and now I’m very certain that I’m going to miss Bomb Girls much more than I would have thought possible.

ellen April 22, 2013 at 10:41 pm

That’s a shame. It is a wonderful series – very rich and compelling.