Bomb Girls: Cancelled, No Season Three But…

Bomb Girls canceledShaw Media in Canada has cancelled Bomb Girls after two seasons. The TV series airs on Global Television in Canada and on ReelzChannel here in the US.

Bomb Girls revolves around a group of Canadian women who work in a munitions factory as they build bombs for the Allies during World War II. The cast includes Meg Tilly, Jodi Balfour, Charlotte Hegele, Ali Liebert, Antonio Cupo, Sebastian Pigott, Peter Outerbridge, Anastasia Phillips, Jim Codrington, and Lisa Norton. Rosie O’Donnell guest-starred during the second season.

Though there won’t be a third season, Global has ordered a two-hour movie that will wrap up the series. A release notes that it “will conclude the rich storylines and the amazing journeys of these beloved characters which have strongly resonated with the show’s loyal fans.”

The TV movie will air in Winter 2014 in Canada. It seems likely that Reelz will purchase domestic rights to air the conclusion around that same time.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Bomb Girls has been cancelled? Are you looking forward to the movie?

Linda Molly June 13, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I love the Bomb Girls. It is classy and I love all of the characters. It just annoys me because a successful show is cancelled and the stages that were built will be destroyed. New shows are expensive and then they cancel them after people get hooked on the shows. That’s not fair….

Hammer June 11, 2013 at 7:20 pm

With all the classless shows passing for quality entertainment televised today, just how does one with quality, excellent writers/theme/cast/stories get cancelled? Why can’t some network acquire it, promote it, and keep it viewed on 1 night at the same time? I should think some aspiring network would like to develop a following like…Downton Abbey! Of course, welcoming the movie is the only option in town. Bomb Girls is another fine show killed before its time.

janice June 11, 2013 at 12:18 am

I am so sorry this series has been canceled. As a baby boomer, this time period is so interesting to me. We all need to be reminded of the sacrifices the greatest generation made for all of us including those on the homefront. I watch mostly programming on cable because it is far above anything on the 3 not so major anymore networks. I really looked forward each week to Bomb Girls.

mel June 9, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I have just finished watching the last of the bomb girls, what an absolute shame we wonnt get season 3, this is a real great series, I would watch this over coronation street, so your giving away years of good viewing I think. still I,ll have to wait for the movie and hopefully they will add the ending of to the finale of season 2.

Dior June 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I love this show. I agree with a the other comments

Sheila June 7, 2013 at 12:09 am

This is the best show I have seen in a very long time. Why is it that shows that are racy or reality shows and such keep airing year after year. I really hope that plans to cancel this awesome show will be scrapped.

CINDY June 6, 2013 at 10:55 pm

PLEASE TRY AND SEE WHAT CAN BE WORKED OUT FOR SEVERAL MORE YEARS OF BOMB GIRLS…,I.E. BEGINNING WITH SEASON 3 AND ONWARD. I ALWAYS LOOKED FORWARD TO THE SHOW.

IT IS A GREAT SERIES AND I DO NOT USUALLY LIKE ON-GONG DRAMA. HOWEVER, I WAS BORN AND RAISED DURING THOSE YEARS AND RECALL MANY TALES TOLD ME AS I GREW UP.

THANKS.

Dava June 4, 2013 at 3:05 am

What a complete bummer. This show was magic. I loved every moment. I just don’t understand why shows that are so good are always cancelled. I mean I get it, most people enjoy watching garbage reality

I love period pieces. Bomb girls had a little something for everyone. argh! I’m so sad and upset.

Carol June 3, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I agree with the others. Bomb Girls was such a good show, different than anything else on. The hair and costumes reminded me of pictures that I’ve seen of my mom. Why do ridiculously stupid shows last for years and the good ones get cancelled? Everytime I like a show it’s doomed!

Mike Estrella June 2, 2013 at 8:15 am

This is a shame. Low ratings are obviously caused by the channel the show appears on currently. The REELZ channel is not readily available to most viewers. This is one of the better drama’s on TV today and beats almost anything on regular channels.

Mary K May 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm

If it has low ratings in the US, that’s because it’s on a cable channel that not a lot of people get. If it was on A&E or AMC or something it would have been much more successful. REELZ isn’t even high-definition, at least in my area!

Sue May 30, 2013 at 1:49 pm

What a shame! My husband and I watch it and love it. I hope the two hour movie is released in the US too. I would like a conclusion to the great story lines. Why do the good shows get cancelled. I am not happy with the powers at be right now. Really!!!

Lakin May 30, 2013 at 3:33 am

I am truly sad from the cancelation of Bomb Girls. It is the show I wait a week in anticipation to see what will happen in the next episode. I am in love with the characters and the life struggles each of them goes through. The timeframe is wonderful. The impowermeant of women is amazing. It has great mystery keeps you at the edge of your seats. The show is captured beautifully. I hope they change their minds or another program picks up the series .

- Texas, US

Lori May 30, 2013 at 12:21 am

I so wish the teenage boys (at least mentally) who hold the programming power would somehow realize a tv show can focus on women- be positive- and still be a good investment! !!!

Bonnie May 29, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Wonderful show. Like so many other series that have an interesting story line and interesting characters it should be renewed and won’t be while other shows go on for years. So many more issues they can deal with. I will miss it. Wind at my Back was another one I was sorry to see go.