Bomb Girls

TV series Bomb GirlsNetwork: Reelz
Episodes: 18 (hour) + two-hour movie
Seasons: Two

TV show dates: September 11, 2012 — May 26, 2014
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Meg Tilly, Jodi Balfour, Charlotte Hegele, Ali Liebert, Antonio Cupo, Sebastian Pigott, Peter Outerbridge, Anastasia Phillips, Jim Codrington, and Lisa Norton.

TV show description:
Set in 1940s Toronto, this TV series explores the lives of various women who find themselves thrust into new worlds. They work in munitions factories, building the arms that keep their overseas husbands, lovers, brothers, and sons alive and fighting.

While they’re building bombs, the women also find themselves flourishing with newfound freedom, discovering strengths they never before imagined. At the same time they’re often woefully under-equipped for the new challenges they face. Amid propaganda and sexual harassment, crossing social and cultural boundaries, these remarkable women form a unique sisterhood.

Lorna Corbett (Meg Tilly) met her husband Bob (Peter Outerbridge) at age 18 before he shipped out to the Great War, and married after their affair left her pregnant. Bob returned a broken man, shell-shocked and paralyzed, and their dream of a happy life vanished. Lorna quietly relishes her new job as it’s a chance to escape an oppressive home and is secretly jealous of the other ladies’ happiness. She’s determined not to let them make the same mistakes she did. Lorna is especially resentful Gladys and seeks to break the spirited girl, even though she recognizes her own long-lost exuberance.

Gladys Witham (Jodi Balfour) is a wild child and the only daughter in a wealthy Rosedale family. Gladys’s privileged life has made her fearless with an appetite for life and she’s always gotten what she wanted. Now, what she wants is changing and its far less superficial. Does this leave room for James Dunn, her fiance?

New to Toronto, Kate Andrews (Charlotte Hegele) is eager to please and gifted at lifting spirits thanks to a staggeringly talented singing voice. Beneath her smile is a sheltered, insecure girl who’s on the run from her abusive street-preaching father. Cobbling together a new identity, Kate appears to have evaded punishment and her past, for now.

Betty McRae (Ali Liebert) is a recent arrival from rural Saskatchewan. An early arrival to Victory Munitions, Betty quickly rose through the ranks to be a well-regarded worker who doubles as Blue Shift’s on-floor trainer of the new workers. She fled her troubling past to live in a place with fewer men to mistrust. Betty has a hard attitude but for some reason, this doesn’t seem to apply to her interactions with Kate.

Blue Shift’s materials controller, Marco Moretti (Antonio Cupo), is responsible for the raw materials coming into the factory, as well as the export of every finished bomb. He gained his experience from his family’s fireworks factory, and now supports his mother, sister and nieces as the sole breadwinner. His father has been locked away in an internment camp alongside hundreds of other Italian immigrants. Though Marco considers himself a Canadian, he knows others see him as a potential enemy and is unable to enlist.

James Dunn (Sebastian Pigott) is smart, attractive, wealthy, and poised to take the world by storm. He’s a decent man whose refinement haven’t resulted in snobbery. Still, having been largely sheltered from the world’s harsh truths, he’s woefully innocent about matters of the heart. While he’s drawn to Gladys, her exuberance often threatens to overwhelm him. He was an American before Pearl Harbor and still doesn’t feel that the war is truly his to fight.

Vera Burr (Anastasia Phillips) is a Blue Shift worker and was disfigured in an accident at the factory and suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. African-American Leon (Jim Codrington) works in the warehouse at Victory Munitions. A jazz musician and singer, he saves Kate from an attempted assault. Edith McAllum (Lisa Norton) is a floor worker at Victory, is close friends with Lorna, and befriends Bob while dealing with the aftermath of her husband’s death.

Series Finale:
Bomb Girls: Facing the Enemy (series ending movie)
It is the Spring of 1943 and the Battle for the Atlantic rages as an Axis victory seems inevitable. The one hope the Allies have – production of newly developed sonar equipment – is moved to Victory Munitions when the British factories are bombed. Under the increased pressure, the women of Vic Mu — Gladys, Lorna, Kate, Betty and Vera — band together in a tight bond of support and friendship. Then, in the darkest hour of the war, a new and disturbing menace appears – a saboteur among the factory workers.
First aired: May 26, 2014.

What do you think? Do you like the Bomb Girls TV series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for a third season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

253 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Rose says

Loved this show. Why is it every time there is a good show it is cancelled. I couldn’t wait for the new season. This is one of the best shows to come out in a long time. The garbage the keep on season after season

2. sandra russell says

I love the series Bomb Girls a great show I cannot wait for it to come back on, I can’t believe its been cancelled. Put the show back on. I love the period series. A great story line. Do not Cancel..

3. Nett74 says

Yes, Enjoyed both seasons on Netflix. Been looking forward to another season, guess not. There have been so many great shows that have been cancelled in the last year or two. It seems like it’s very easy nowadays for networks to just throw a show away even only after a short time. PLEASE bring this one back. Fantastic cast & storyline. Loved it!

4. Becky says

I just watch the 2 seasons of Bomb Girls on netflixs. It is a really great show and I hope it gets renewed for another season!

5. Michael Skidmore says

I just discovered Bomb Girls on Netflix . Wow what a show my wife and I love it and now found out it is canceled. There are only three shows I can say I love. NCIS, Murdoch Mysteries and Bomb Girls. Two we can not get in the USA. But I found I really like Canadian Shows. You saved Murdoch now try to save Bomb Girls. Thanks Michael Skidmore

6. Jennifer says

I love Bomb Girls. We have been anxiously waiting for new season to begin. It seems every time a good show comes along it gets cancelled .

7. jackie weiss says

The best tv show going and it’s really being cancelled? Why for god’s sake? Finally a historical show that gives us USA’ers a sense of what was happening in Canada before we got into the war-and each character seems to represent a segment of society which gives a much fuller picture of the times than we ever get. Plus each character is complex and human and elicits compassion. So much better than our usual tv fare of hollywood juvenile sitcoms (for adults but basically one dimensional characters)) and inane/boring/violent police or lawyer shows.
    Please please please do not cancel!!! Am down on my knees begging!!!! Dec 2, 2013

8. J says

I watched Bomb girls on netflix and I wanna say that this show has to continue. I love it! I enjoyed every episode and i just got caught up with the lives of each character. Please Dont cancel.

9. jimmy doyle says

Please do not cancel the show me and the wife love it its bad enough they are taking away our insurance so please keep the show.Im hoping someone else will pick up the series again do not take this away from us

Regards
    Jimmy & Jan

10. Donna Hudson says

I love this show. I recently found it on Netflix and watched both seasons back to back. I can’t beleive its going to be cancelled! I was looking forward to seeing more.

• Theresa says

Hi Donna. I also loved this series and I’m still hoping that it will be renewed. Unfortunately, looks like it won’t.

11. Elizabeth Gartner says

I love the show. When will the 2 hour movie be aired? I hope it is going to be picked up again and continue.

12. ray clarke says

great show, too bad its going away too soon, intelligent and interesting TV is obviously losing out to stupid reality and mindless offensive shitcoms.

13. smokerdoodles13 says

I really enjoyed Bomb Girls and feel it should be brought back. We need Canadian content. We are losing our culture to American programing. PLEASE DON’T CANCLE THIS SHOW!!!

14. smokerdoodles13 says

I really enjoyed Bomb Girls and feel it should be brought back. We get so much NONCanadian stuff it is good to have Canadian content. Have you noticed that we are losing our own culture. When Bomb Girls were real we said Mum and not Mom which is American. We are losing runners to sneakers and Coyote (pronounced Ki-oat in Canada) in favour of Ki-oatee which is American. We must hang on to all that is Canadian or in 50years American flags will fly over all parts of Canada. PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!

• Kevin says

I’m from the US….Bomb Girls outshines 99% of the garbage we are subjected to from US TV. I hope to see more Canadian shows because of Netflix.