Boss: Cancelled; No Season Three But…

Boss cancelled by StarzStarz has decided to cancel Boss after two seasons on the air. The Kelsey Grammer series won’t be returning for a third season but viewers may still get some resolution.

Boss revolves around Chicago Mayor Tom Kane (Grammer), a powerful man who struggles to stay on top while secretly battling a debilitating brain disease. Others in the cast include Karen Aldridge, Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson, Martin Donovan, Jeff Hephner, and Hannah Ware.

The cable channel renewed the show for a second season a month before the series even premiered. Had they waited, they might have cancelled it instead. The ratings for the first season were underwhelming and the cast and crew knew that season two would have to do better for the show to survive.

It didn’t. The second season averaged 360,000 viewers and a 0.1 rating in the demo. The cancellation certainly doesn’t come as a surprise.

While there won’t be a third season of Boss, Lionsgate TV and Starz are having discussions about wrapping up the story with a two-hour movie.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Boss has been cancelled by Starz? Do you think they’ll really make a movie?

Angelica December 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hugely disappointed! This is definitely one of the best shows on TV and I was hoping they would be able to pull out at least one more season. Kelsey Grammar is a tour de force!! So sad.

lee December 5, 2012 at 8:56 pm

What a shame,Boss, one of the best dramas on television can’ t find an audience but the plethora of crap on television continues to go on and on and on…. come on HBO pick it up and give it a chance to find an intelligent audience , we are out there, the show needs a chance on a larger network, at the very least invest in one more season and wrap the story lines up as they should be.

originalBoss December 5, 2012 at 12:45 am

Boss ranks with the best The Wire, Sopranos all have a strong following built up as the show became popular Bring it back.

Anonymous December 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I am so disappointed! I loved this show.

K. December 4, 2012 at 10:37 am

This is a well written, intriguing, and thought provoking series about humanity and the ‘politics’ that form humanity. The casting is second to none as the cast’s performance is so well done that the character is visible and the actor is not. The directing, screenwriting, cinematography, are all deserving accolades for their tremendous craftsmanship! I believe as always that some series/movies require thinking, reflecting, and tracking the message of the presentation which results in a widened perspective of life. Unfortunately, the masses who persuade ratings that networks and producers follow are in it for the ‘short-term’ results, i.e. money. Given time, perhaps a production can ‘catch on’ as people learn of it as I did and then tell others…this raises the consciousness of the lemmings and dullards who do not want to think, reflect, and track but merely be entertained without improvement of these qualities and gifts of being a human being. We can only hope that time will turn the ratings through ‘word of mouth’! Great example is Boston Legal…didn’t watch when it was on but have seen all seasons and thoroughly enjoyed this provocative addiction because ‘someone’ turned us on to it. Very disappointing and a shame that Boss will be tossed. 30yrs in sales taught me that marketing plants the seeds and sales harvests the results. Executives need to do their marketing jobs better in the future for precious works of art like this!…verbum sapientibus (Lat. word to the wise).

Willa Roberts November 30, 2012 at 11:46 am

This is an amazing show, can’t believe it is being cancelled was looking forward to the new season beginning.

Alex November 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I did enjoy The Boss. I thought it was a well acted and written show. I believe a movie to end the story would do it justice. A third season would have been better but you can’t have everything,

Charia November 28, 2012 at 11:06 pm

My husband and I are addicted to Boss can’t believe they would cancel it. What are we gonna do without Tom Kane. Awwwwwwww

GGG November 28, 2012 at 12:21 am

I just can’t believe Boss is being cancelled! I agree with the commenter who stated there is nothing else Starz has to offer. It would be fantastic for another network to pick this up. I have watched it from the beginning and gotten others to watch also! This is why I hate to get involved in television at all for as soon as you get involved in a worthwhile series, it gets cancelled! I am depressed and forlorn. Pooh! :(

Kathy November 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm

This was such an amazing show I can’t believe it got cancelled!!!!! The acting and story was soooooooooo good. Why wasn’t anyone watching this show?

JC November 27, 2012 at 8:27 pm

This show is definitely for most viewers who also enjoy Boardwalk Empire,Homeland,Sopranos,Luck,Madmen,Magic City…I can’t believe only 300,000 people got to enjoy this great work.This is West Wing flip side.Someone should make more money on this show.

R Brown November 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

A great show with excellent cast. Other neteworks should look to purchase the show. Purhaps FX would be a good source. Boss was way above 90% of the crap on TV today.
Save the show!

Al November 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

This sounds more political than rating reasons. I have enjoyed the program immensely and think Starz and Liongate are missing the boat on this one. Lets go one more time and wind it down if the ratings don’t get up. It would also help if they spent a money advertising. There was a program called intellegence that was aired in Canada that was cancelled after two seasons when the subject matter got too close to reality. Is this the case with Boss?

St Felix November 26, 2012 at 2:35 am

Wow! Huge loss great television. I am really going to feel the loss. Are they sure they counted the ratings properly. This show rocks nd I really need a finale

Johnny C November 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Somebody …Anybody …out there please pick this show up immediately HBO? Showtime?
Shame on the public that watches shows like Honey Boo Boo…Jersey Shoe etc. sending their ratings thru the roof
A great show like Boss or a couple of years ago The Brotherhood get cancelled
Our culture is going down the tubes…
Stars give us one more season …. What else do you have to offer… You should have done a better job marketing it