Boss: Cancelled; No Season Three But…

Boss cancelled by StarzStarz has decided to cancel Boss after two seasons on the air. The Kelsey Grammer series won’t be returning for a third season but viewers may still get some resolution.

Boss revolves around Chicago Mayor Tom Kane (Grammer), a powerful man who struggles to stay on top while secretly battling a debilitating brain disease. Others in the cast include Karen Aldridge, Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson, Martin Donovan, Jeff Hephner, and Hannah Ware.

The cable channel renewed the show for a second season a month before the series even premiered. Had they waited, they might have cancelled it instead. The ratings for the first season were underwhelming and the cast and crew knew that season two would have to do better for the show to survive.

It didn’t. The second season averaged 360,000 viewers and a 0.1 rating in the demo. The cancellation certainly doesn’t come as a surprise.

While there won’t be a third season of Boss, Lionsgate TV and Starz are having discussions about wrapping up the story with a two-hour movie.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Boss has been cancelled by Starz? Do you think they’ll really make a movie?

Canceled and renewed TV show

162 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. sheriff says

This is awful ! Will definately be cancelling my subscription to starz since Boss is the only reason I subscribed. Deeply disappointed and upset

2. Someone with a brain says

Great show, too bad the uneducated public (about 90% of country) can’t sit through an show were they have to think. Reality shows are the norm, along with food stamps, and welfare/unemployment.

3. Tula says

I love this show. I watched Kelsey Grammer and thought what a actor!! Why cancel this great show?? Do we need more mindless reality shows?
    Ok say you have to listen and have a pulse to understand this show, but surely other people love this show! Please bring it back !!!!

4. juanita echols says

I cant believe this has been cancelled! What is wrong with the people who make these decisions? Everytime there is something good on with superb casts and acting it is cancelled What is the problem with having something of real substance on tv does everything have to be stupid reality shows about nothing!

5. BOSSFAN says

Loved that show…had three more episodes to watch in Season 2 when I found out it had already been cancelled…NOOO!! So does NETFLIX have a suggestion box? It would fit well with House of Cards, another great show!

6. Donna P. says

Cancelled? Really? The I.Q. of the American Public must be diminishing if a smart, probing, superbly-acted drama like Boss gets tossed! What now? Another dim-witted reality show? Cheers didn’t do well either the first 2 years, but it was givin life, and the rest is history. When you know you have a quality product, you give it a chance to grow and change; you don’t throw it away. What a pity Kelsey Grammer wasn’t given the recognition he so richly deserves! I’m so angry! Just as angry as I was when Luck was chucked (I didn’t believe it was for the sake of the horses!). T.V. is getting more and more stupid; programming is more of a catered morsel aimed at the idiots of America!

7. says

this is one of the best shows ever and it wasn’t even given a chance to catch on. the seasons were short. I’ll be happy for the 2 hour movie tho

8. Dj says

What a shock! Boss has got to be one of the most interesting and compelling series since the sopranos. Characters, ambiance, Kelsey. What is wrong with stars! Please show time. Pick this up. Another two years should be enough for mayor Kane!

9. Paul says

I dont understand how they cancelled BOSS this series is great.Kelsey Grammar just got better every episode imagine what could have been.I really think they should give it another season its madness having such a great show cancelled.Just need to advertise it more maybe to get more viewers.

10. Kathy says

OMG!!! I’m just hearing that Boss is cancelled. What a terrible decision. Can HBO or Showtime pick it up? Maybe FX. Something needs to be done. Maybe if they had advertised it, it would have has more viewers. I found it my accident. Then shared with about 8 people, all of whom became instant fans!

11. loretta karp says

I am in full agreement with the others who believe that cancellation was due to poor
    advertising. My husband and I found Boss strickly by accident while doing the usual scanning of the networks to find anything palatable. This show was actually done so realistically and the acting was great., We were looking forward to its return and are really disappointed that once again a really good series goes by the wasteside.

12. LovedIt says

I am so frustrated that all the GOOD shows like Boss are being cancelled while those mindless supposed-to-reality shows keep getting pushed on TV. Who’s reality are those shows anyway. I certainly hope the Starz powers that be reconsider and bring back Boss for us folks who really appreciate a great show.