Boss: Cancelled; No Season Three But…

Boss cancelled by StarzStarz has decided to cancel Boss after two seasons on the air. The Kelsey Grammer series won’t be returning for a third season but viewers may still get some resolution.

Boss revolves around Chicago Mayor Tom Kane (Grammer), a powerful man who struggles to stay on top while secretly battling a debilitating brain disease. Others in the cast include Karen Aldridge, Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson, Martin Donovan, Jeff Hephner, and Hannah Ware.

The cable channel renewed the show for a second season a month before the series even premiered. Had they waited, they might have cancelled it instead. The ratings for the first season were underwhelming and the cast and crew knew that season two would have to do better for the show to survive.

It didn’t. The second season averaged 360,000 viewers and a 0.1 rating in the demo. The cancellation certainly doesn’t come as a surprise.

While there won’t be a third season of Boss, Lionsgate TV and Starz are having discussions about wrapping up the story with a two-hour movie.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Boss has been cancelled by Starz? Do you think they’ll really make a movie?

Canceled and renewed TV show

165 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Laura Motoyoshi says

Just watched Boss on Netflix. Do not subscribe to Starz. Loved the series and would love to see a two hour movie. Need the story resolved. I already subscribe to HBO, Showtime and Netflix and I can’t afford another pay station. Enough is enough, but loved the story. It was gripping. Kelsey Grammar was stunning in this role.

2. R T Hart says

BOSS: Superb writing and acting. It’s lack of viewership and subsequent demise is another example of the dumbing down of America.

3. frost says

One of the best shows on TV…Therefore it had to be canceled. Good, adult, smart tv is not of the naked and afraid group.

• Pat says

Just completed viewing via Netflix, Boss and would like to know if any further plans will be made for a movie which will complete the series. My husband and I have found it to be a very interesting series along the lines of more recent series such as; Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, Vikings and Hell on Wheels.

4. mandouv says

Reality crap TV sails on and quality fails; mass audiences wouldn’t recognize literary excellence if it was a coal shovel slammed in their faces. Banquo’s ghost meet Ezra Stone. I binge watched Boss and now, with Emma, I am suffering (panic in cable park) withdrawal.

5. DAB says

My husband and i both loved this show. just finishing watching the 2nd season tonight. We will be devastated if no resolution to cliff-hangers I’m sure will be left. AT LEAST MAKE THE MOVIE.

6. Sam says

I just finished watching the series on Netflix as well and I too believe out is an amazing show. I am sad there will not be a third season but it should at least be a season send off because that last show had me on the edge of my couch. It’s toucher to not know what’s next

7. Jose says

Please don’t cancel I want to see more. Just finished watching on Netflix, loved it. there is more story to be told. Bring it back!!!!!

8. Dknight says

this show is one of the best ive seen. its ashame that its cancel due to stupidity. bring the damn show back. it may not be for everyone but it is for most of us. damn shame

9. says

I watched both seasons of Boss and was riveted to it! In fact, I watched both seasons in just three days on Netflix. Kelsey Grammer’s acting was powerful. I hung on his every word. What a great performance! Needless to say, I am VERY disappointed to learn that the series has been cancelled.

10. Anonymous says

great show right up there with breaking bad ,sopranos,house of cards I guess its back to stupid b.s again