Breaking In: Last Chance to Save the Cancelled Sitcom?

Breaking In season two chancesLast week, fans were upset to hear that FOX had axed newbie sitcom Breaking In after just a handful of weeks on the air. Though the sitcom’s numbers were pretty good, the series lost a huge portion of the American Idol lead-in audience and it seemed like the network felt they could do better with the timeslot.

Not long after the cancellation news, word came that Breaking In might not be dead after all. FOX and Sony Pictures TV were looking into possible ways to keep the series alive.

There’s one episode left and the network has now decided to see how it will do in another timeslot, this time paired with the already-renewed Raising Hope sitcom. If it does well enough, FOX might reverse its decision.

Co-creator and executive producer Adam F. Goldberg tells TV Guide that the cancellation came as a surprise because he believes that the network loves the cast and the show and have been pleased with the ratings. He notes that FOX entertainment president Kevin Reilly called the cancellation “a heartbreaker” and wasn’t even fully committed to it when he called Goldberg to give him the bad news, saying that it wasn’t a definite pass.

Goldberg knows that schedule change comes at the last minute but hopes that enough people will find it and tune in for the season (hopefully not series) finale.

In addition to tonight’s ratings, Breaking In’s future may have a lot to do with the network being able to find a compatible series to pair it with. Goldberg said, “They just really don’t know what to do with it… When you have a family show or a relationship show, they really know how to promote that and make that a hit. But if you have a show about a bunch of geniuses who do heists every day, that’s hard for any network to figure out.”

What do you think? Is Breaking In worth saving? If you were programming the network, where would you put it?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our FOX cancel/renew page.

Canceled and renewed TV show

99 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Ken says

Great show. Only been on a few weeks but I do not miss it and I know other people that are now watching it(because I told them about it). I have seen very little promotion from the network about it. If they did…I think it could be a good solid performer for them….any they could really use one.

2. Kelly says

BREAKING IN is great!! So many strong characters, there is lots of room for the show to grow and develop each character. Dutch is the perfect good-hearted but half-wit antogonist for Cam. Christian Slater is great as the crass boss with a big heart under it all. The shows premise as a high tech security testing team is a great fit for our era.

3. Crystal says

Breaking In should be saved. It is a great show. Very funny, enduring characters – Christian Slater and Bret Harrison are great, and Michael Rosenbaum is raunchy and hilarious. The show offers a little of everything.

4. Milie_Milie says

It’s a great show with a good rythm, Christian Slater is awesome and crazy at the same time so you just love his character and you’re always wondering what’s he’s gonna do next.
    Bret Harisson I’m in love with him since Reaper he can be funny, deep and it’s always him who kept being stuck in crazy plots.. you laugh at him and with him… I’m less into Dutch who’s is kind of annoying (but still Rosenbaum plas this character very well) and I’d love to see more about Cash personnality plus geek is fashion today so if there’s a second season I’d love to see more of him.
    Please, I want a second season !!

5. Raffy says

Breaking in rules!!! I want it back for season 2!! and 3 and 4 and 5!!!!!! and so on and so forth!!!! I love the characters and the story it has a really unique story and the is really fun to watch I want to see more!!! I hate how the violent and sexually charged shows are the ones that have high ratings I want quality shows and I believe this is one of them!!!

6. says

Breaking In is a great show, it has enough strong characters to carry the weak ones. It would probably make a good pairing with The Big Bang Theory even though they are on separate neworks.

7. Save ME says

cancel simpsons, 22 years is more than enough, use its funding to save all the shows cancelled this season. Period!

8. Yessi says

please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont cancel it, I love this show give it another chance I like it more than glee honest true.

9. Emy says

I absolutely love this show, Fox should cancel the animated ones instead. Please save BREAKING IN !!!!! It’s really funny and an amazing series!