Breaking In: Last Chance to Save the Cancelled Sitcom?

Breaking In season two chancesLast week, fans were upset to hear that FOX had axed newbie sitcom Breaking In after just a handful of weeks on the air. Though the sitcom’s numbers were pretty good, the series lost a huge portion of the American Idol lead-in audience and it seemed like the network felt they could do better with the timeslot.

Not long after the cancellation news, word came that Breaking In might not be dead after all. FOX and Sony Pictures TV were looking into possible ways to keep the series alive.

There’s one episode left and the network has now decided to see how it will do in another timeslot, this time paired with the already-renewed Raising Hope sitcom. If it does well enough, FOX might reverse its decision.

Co-creator and executive producer Adam F. Goldberg tells TV Guide that the cancellation came as a surprise because he believes that the network loves the cast and the show and have been pleased with the ratings. He notes that FOX entertainment president Kevin Reilly called the cancellation “a heartbreaker” and wasn’t even fully committed to it when he called Goldberg to give him the bad news, saying that it wasn’t a definite pass.

Goldberg knows that schedule change comes at the last minute but hopes that enough people will find it and tune in for the season (hopefully not series) finale.

In addition to tonight’s ratings, Breaking In’s future may have a lot to do with the network being able to find a compatible series to pair it with. Goldberg said, “They just really don’t know what to do with it… When you have a family show or a relationship show, they really know how to promote that and make that a hit. But if you have a show about a bunch of geniuses who do heists every day, that’s hard for any network to figure out.”

What do you think? Is Breaking In worth saving? If you were programming the network, where would you put it?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our FOX cancel/renew page.

MARK June 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I don’t want it to end, but if it has to, at least make un-aired episodes available. I want to learn how OZ knows what people are going to do before they do.

Alex June 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Damnnnnnnnn! I just watched the last episode and checked when was the next episode supposed to be released… I can’t understand why they decide to stop a show just like that, without giving it any chance. People didn’t even get the summer, while the others are on pause, to realize how awesome it is.
Please give it a chance, and let us get more fun from Breaking In !!!!!!! I’m convinced it could also get a big success abroad, I was already suggesting some friends to watch it and some became adept in only 1 episode.

Jaimi June 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm

no don’t cancel this show, its one of my families favorite.

N June 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm

This is a great show – very creative and different – it’s nice to see something smart and funny on TV instead of reality shows, dumb sitcoms and lawyer shows. Please don’t cancel it.

M May 31, 2011 at 9:09 pm

The only problem I have with breaking in it should be an hour. I’m tired of relationship shows & reality shows. I will def be dissapointed in fox if they cancel another show I like!

Alex Gen May 31, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Please don’t cancel Breaking In, it’s got huge potentials and a great cast to be a long lasting sitcom. Me and my girlfriend both love it! Give it another chance!

Meredith May 30, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I don’t watch American Idol. So its lead-in had no affect on my watching Breaking In. I simply tuned in on the season premiere, upon changing channels after Survivor. I decided to watch the series after that. I’m a Leverage fan (airs on TBS), and I think Breaking In is the same type of show, with enough differences to capture my interest.

IMHO, networks don’t give shows decent opportunities before canceling them. They say it’s because the audience is fickle but I think it’s more that audiences are afraid to be loyal because the NETWORKS are fickle.

Juan May 29, 2011 at 1:07 am

I agree, Fox shouldn’t cancel the show since its beating out the other comedies on the network, why not cancel the one with the lowest rating or whatever you guys(fox)go by, it just doesn’t make sense to cancel a show if its out performing the competition, I hope they don’t cancel it, its great actors with great writing and chemistry.

dawny319 May 29, 2011 at 12:46 am

Please do NOT cancel Breaking In. It is so funny with a great cast. I am so tired of reality TV and this is the only sit-com that I watched this season! Please give it a chance to develop!! PLEASE!!

Cindy May 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm

My husband and I BOTH love Breaking In. The cast is fantastic-great actors and all have great sense of timing-which is 1/2 the reason it’s so funny-the other 1/2 is the writing! If you cancel this show it will be Criminal. I don’t know where else it would go but we will watch it no matter the time slot and night! Please leave it on TV-if you do you will be surprised at how many fans it will garner. We like this as much as we do “The Big Bang Theory” and I am sure you don’t have to be told how successful That comedy has been. I feel if you keep it on air Breaking In will be beneficial to Fox-IMO it’s Lightening in a Bottle, keep the current cast/writing team in place for as long as you can!

stooger15 May 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm

love breaking in. there are plenty of other crap shows to cancel

ZMom May 26, 2011 at 7:23 pm

This was my fav new show, don’t cancel it!

dodgygirl May 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

please DO NOT cancel Breaking In, it’s one of my favourtite shows of the season. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Snick7 May 23, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Breaking In is one of the funniest shows I have seen in a long time. It is clever and well-written, with absolutely fantastic 80′s references. I _love_ this show and hope they give it another shot!

Diggz May 23, 2011 at 7:13 am

Hello all!
First, I never take the time to post anything b/c I am a self centered bastich! But in lieu of the apparent brain fart that the “think tank” at FOX is having regarding this crazy show, I feel I must make a plea. Do….Not…Cancel….Breaking In!!!! I watched the past few episodes last night (minus the season finale) and I was highly entertained, which is no real surprise since this show is quality and quantity, especially in the laugh-o-meter. The Star Wars homage was fantastic, by the way. The cast seems to be geniune in the way they interact and I have always enjoyed Mr. Slater, but he really brings his unique presence into the mix as OZ. Bret Harrison can do no wrong as he will always be Reaper to me (how about a Sock cameo). Please do not cancel this great show as it is a pleasant break from all the crying vampires, useless idols, tangoing stars, backstabbing crapprentices and other mindless so-called entertainment that have been innundating our airwaves these past few years. Okay, enough fanboy pontificating from me.