Breaking In: FOX TV Series Cancelled; No Season Two

Breaking In canceledChristian Slater just can’t catch a break when it comes to television. My Own Worst Enemy was cancelled by NBC in 2009 and ABC’s the forgotten was canned in 2010. Now, FOX has cancelled his new sitcom, Breaking In, after one short season.

Breaking In follows a team of misfits who run a high-tech security operation and take extreme (often questionable) measures to sell their services. The comedy stars Slater, Bret Harrison, Odette Yustman, Trevor Moore, and Alphonso McAuley.

The sitcom debuted on April 6th to a healthy 3.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.82 million viewers. Those look like solid numbers when viewed alone but are far less impressive when you consider that the series lost more than 50% of the lead-in audience from American Idol.

Should Breaking In have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, Breaking In lost 26% of its premiere audience, scoring a 2.6 rating and 7.79 million total viewers. Weeks three and four dropped as well. Last Wednesday’s episode scored a 2.4 in the demo and 7.07 million. That represents a retention of only 36% from the American Idol lead-in.

Despite the fact that Breaking In has a better average than already-renewed Raising Hope and Bob’s Burgers, FOX has decided to cancel the TV series after one season and seven episodes. It would seem that, despite what some may believe, lead-in retention does matter.

The remaining two episodes of Breaking In will air tonight and next Wednesday, May 18th. Hopefully Slater will have better luck next time — perhaps on a CBS series?

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Breaking In? Why do you think the TV series didn’t catch on?

Mari November 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm

One of my favorite shows – unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j9 July 16, 2011 at 11:13 am

“Breaking In” wasn’t bad but it wasn’t great either. I do think it had potential if it had been given time to grow. Putting the show on after “American Idol” was what did it in. Its content was not age appropriate next to “American Idol”. If only “Breaking In” was on a little later at night or perhaps aired on another night so as to stay clear of A.I.’s pallette, I think it would’ve succeeded. Better luck next time.

kfm July 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

what can i say but that is wrong just wrong there are either cancelling or ending all the good shows on all the networks

paul June 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Fox is becomeing another NBC they cancel shows before they are given a chance. We will not be watching any new programs on FOX

Misty May 25, 2011 at 8:08 am

Such a shame! I really enjoyed Breaking In. So few shows on TV are actually “pure” entertainment. Everytime I watched BI, I laughed out loud and I felt invested in these characters. Boo for Fox. Give a show a chance. If Cheers or Seinfeld were on the air now, they would never make it cause we have idiots who just want to ax a show before they get a chance to hit their stride.

Jim May 23, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Christian Slater is genius! And he’s backed by a fun and memorable team. Save Contra Security! Save Breaking In!

Tanker May 23, 2011 at 12:38 pm

FOX, JUST WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, YOU ALL ARE BE COMING JUST AS DUMB AS NBC CANCELING CHASE…SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF FOX & NBC ARE MORONS!

BMIN May 23, 2011 at 11:47 am

WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS! fox renews ****y shows like archer and bob’s burgers but cancels breaking in? is the ceo a 12 year old? cmon! and y cancel a show with solid ratings?

Conrad May 20, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I’m sad to see this show go when they keep so much garbage on there network I hope someone smart picks up this show

Ender May 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Breaking in is hilarious. I love the show I can’t believe Fox cancelled another great show. I’ll never forgive those jerks for cancelling firefly.

Spenser May 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I think that is a completely idiotic move on FOX’s part. I don’t know a single person that had anything bad to say about Breaking In, yet when it came to Bob’s Burgers I don’t know anyone that had anything good to say. Hopefully another network will pick up Breaking In and make FOX’s loss their gain.

Joanne Faust May 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Another FOX show cancelled. My family loved the quirkiness of BREAKING IN. Christian Slater is a fabulous actor and I really thought he caught his break with this series. The cast of misfits made me want to join. FOX does not know a good thing. I can’t believe they kept Bob’s Burgers (which in my opinion is pathetic, I couldn’t even watch one episode in its entirety) and axed BREAKING IN. Please reconsider or find another network.

Carrie May 18, 2011 at 7:49 am

LOVED breaking in! I can’t believe Fox cancelled it and it had better ratings than some of the other shows they are keeping. I loved the jokes, pop culture references. The characters were great- especially Michael Rosenbaum’s character. Really?! They decided to keep a show about white trash trying to raise a baby that got lower ratings and ANOTHER cartoon? I guess Fox felt that America wasn’t smart enough for a well written comedy. Same on you Fox!

Emy May 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I agree with you 100%. who the hell watches those stupid shows. They should cancel those instead!! Breaking in was one of my favorite shows, too bad Fox cancled it >:C

bye bye fox May 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm

now i can say .. bye bye fox