Breakthrough with Tony Robbins: NBC TV Show Pulled, Cancelled

Breakthrough with Tony RobbinsPositive thinking certainly didn’t help NBC’s new reality series, Breakthrough with Tony Robbins, in the ratings. The TV show’s been pulled after just two episodes.

In Breakthrough with Tony Robbins, self-help master Tony Robbins seeks to help ordinary people overcome big challenges so that they can begin living their lives to their true potential.

The first episode of Breakthrough got off to a very poor start with a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic and only 3.12 million viewers. That put the debut in fourth place in both areas.

This week’s installment attracted about the same in the demo but total viewership fell to 2.76 million viewers. How low could the ratings go?

Would you watch the remaining episodes of Breakthrough?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

We won’t get to find out. NBC has pulled Breakthrough effective immediately. They’ve replaced it with repeats of Minute to Win It for the foreseeable future.

This leaves four episodes of Breakthrough on the shelf, unaired. The network hasn’t made any indication that they’ll burn off the remaining installments. There is no way that NBC will be ordering any more episodes and the show’s been confirmed as cancelled.

What do you think? Did you like Breakthrough with Tony Robbins? Why do you think the show didn’t succeed in attracting more viewers?

Jordan katz September 8, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I think it was too much about the people and not enough Tony….The stories were good but no one cares about the people ..we wanted to see him but didn’t get enough of that

CC from Canada September 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm

All I have to say is that NBC is dead to me. Will never give them my attention ever again. Tony is the man, and he has been for a long time now. Was dying to see his last four shows, now …… who knows. Hopefully they get out somehow.

By the way, failed my math and science classes in highschool, did personal power II, ,5 years later, just graduated with B+ average from 4 year biochemistry program in a good University. Yeah, let’s put minute to win it! reruns, that will totally catch fire and bring in the money, unlike that guy and all his substance stuff. Someone needs a business lesson at NBC, a show like this doesn’t catch right away, it needs word of mouth, which would have caused a huge jump in the rattings near the end, and a hell of a good image for NBC. Not anymore.

Oh and to Bobby’s post

“The worst thing ever produced for television. Robbins is a FRAUD and the viewing audience recognized that he’s nothing more than a snake oil salesman. He’s been stealing from everyone from his promoters to individual clients to children since he started.”

Way to back that up with some solid facts.

Sue September 7, 2010 at 5:36 pm

This just shows that Negativity and Junk win out on TV. This is the most positive show I have ever viewed. The stories were so inspiring. My friends and I all watched it and wondered where it went. Perhaps it should have been in a better time period when people watch more TV like the Fall . Why did you debut it during the summer?
Great Job as ussual Tony. You have been my inspiration for many years. You got right to the heart of the matter and changed these peoples lives forever.
Sue

Terry September 6, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I did not learn of Tony Robbins show Break Through when it came out. I came across it by accident while surfing the net. Went and watch one of the show. Thought it was great a real piece of art, that seem out of place next to the junk food diet tv shows on the air. Tony, what a breath of fresh real air your show was. I watch everyone of them a couple of times and shared them with family and friend very moving. Can’t say enough about how good it is. My girlfriend didn’t want to take the time to watch one of the show when she came home from work. I kept asking her to take a look and if she didn’t like , she could just turn it off. She watch the show with John, the one that lost his wife in a shooting. My girlfriend cried and watched it a second time. Great work Tony, don’t give up on this project. Your right on target, you just hooked up with the wrong team at the wrong time. Try again with this and get it on a network that will put as much into it as you did in the show.
Thanks for touching us all with something really ” REAL ”
Loved your work in the past and this sit right up there with some of your best.
God bless you,

Terry

Rob Boucher September 4, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Apparently too positive for the general viewing public. I agree. Let’s get it on the oprah Winfrey Network. I would have thought that it would get more than 2 episodes to prove itself. I will simply go where I can find shows like this.

I think the general viewing populace wants to be entertained more than they want to grow from TV. This show challanges people to think a bit about real life instead of trying to escape it. Nothing wrong either way, but you get what you focus on. There’s a reason so many people are on antidepressants. Not dealing with the hard questions in a positive way is my opinion.

I’d like to see more TV like this that leads us to examine our lives, giving us something truly valuable that we can take away with us. I’d like more to choose from. I want to hear about the solutions, not the problems. I’d like something that actually attempts to concentrate on the concepts that actually work long term. Just so much fear, negativity, violence, or just entertainment with little actual substance.

Don’t get me wrong – I watch “frosting TV” as well. I’m not perfect. I just wish more quality shows like this were on. You know what happens when all you eat is frosting. I don’t think I’m going to gleen a valuable life lesson I can use in my work or home life from “minute to win it”. From Tony’s show, I already have.

Susan August 30, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I loved this show and it could be that the air date to start it was bad timing on the networks part. Let’s face it most people with half a brain are outside enjoying their summer this time of year.

I would rather do anything else than watch a brainless show that replaced it.

How about trying the show again when the weather changes and people are watching more T.V.

Tony Robbins is a successful speaker and sells books, tapes and workshops. It’s hard to figure out why NBC couldn’t sale this show better as Tony has a great following.

vicki August 29, 2010 at 9:48 am

Please put it back on the air. It is an excellent show, he is an extrodinary motivator. Please bring it back, continue taping new episodes. With the way our economy, world and struggles are right now, we need more people like Tony Robbins.

maxine August 28, 2010 at 1:07 am

OMG!!!!
it is a sad comment on today’s society when “minute to win it” replaces “breakthrough”……

lisa August 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I’ve followed Tony Robbin’s for years and really was inspired by the two episodes that aired and was looking forward to more. Finally, uplifting, positive TV and it’s cancelled!??! Unbelievable….bring it back! The world needs to see more inspiring television.

Bobbie August 26, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Ron August 24, 2010 at 7:20 pm

It would be perfect on Oprah’s new network ‘OWN’. I hope he finds a new home. It was a great show and concept.

MMM August 24, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I am extremely disappointed to learn that this show has been cancelled after only two shows and replaced with Minute to Win It! Who even watches that show? I can’t believe that hasn’t been cancelled already.

It is truly disturbing to see that shows like Breakthrough are cancelled, while senseless trash like the Dating in the Dark, The Bachelor(ette), etc. are still airing. There should be more shows like Breakthrough on TV. Maybe there would be less crimes, suicide or drug abuse. Maybe people can see that there are alternatives to sitting around being depressed. That nothing is impossible.

I do think that this showed debuted at a bad timeslot and time of the year. The summer is difficult, because it gets dark later, and therefore, most people are still out of the house at 8:00 p.m. I believe this show would have done much better if it had started in the fall, when people are looking forward to new shows.

I really hope NBC or one of its affiliates will at least show the other four shows we never got to see. At least for the people who accomplished so much being chosen and having the courage to follow through with Tony Robbins’ exercises. They should be given the notoriety by their family, friends and community they deserve.

DS August 23, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Look at this from each perspective. Networks are in the business to sell ad space which has become more difficult with dvr, youtube, hulu, etc. If a television show doesn’t create additional revenue streams then the network isn’t “as profitable”, so it’s best to cut their losses.

This is a fantastic testament to the power Tony Robbins. In simply two episodes he created an enormous positive self empowering force that the network feared for their supper. If this message of up with self, people, etc. was allowed to continue, the masses would stop watching canned laughter & shock reality for 15 minutes of fame. THIS MUST STOP!!

Tony Robbins did produce this series, motivated the network to air it & has placed his mission back into main stream media. Hopefully, people will go up and get off their couch.
Ps. I love television – but without variety programming you’ve lost me.

Chris Mazzella August 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm

What a JOKE that Carson Daly and Minute to Win, Larry King are on TV and someone like Anthony Robbins isn’t.

Are you kidding? Cancelled? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE NETWORK TIGHT ASSES.

Take a look at the sorry lazy sacks that can’t get off the couch and away from the TV. They are so overstimulated and sold into a pathetic TV existance that they can’t relate to someone actually being empowered by Tony. They are the people that influence the ratings, no wonder why they turned Tony off. He’s not selling garbage or doom and gloom that these idiots are so addicted to.

Because of many of Tony Robbins strategies, training and dedication to help others, I’ve broken through many fears, set goals and standards for my life and achieved way more than I’ve ever dreamed. I also credit his work as I brought several of my clients (I’m a personal trainer) to his workshops and weekends because I know what it did for me. He gives you the tools and know-how to change, if you want to change.

**I don’t watch TV but did when I heard about his show. It was great…

It’s funny and sad at the same time for me to hear people thrash him because he’s a marketer, has many successful products and companies. What a bunch of baby losers. They are exactly the kind of people that blame others for where they are in their lives. You will probably also have the same kid of person say, “I bought the program, it didn’t work”. But what they haven’t told you is they haven’t opened the box.

Thanks Tony for all you have done to serve us. You rule. Networks suck. It will always be that way. Thank God for you and some of the elite marketers like your friends that contribute true value and Goodwill to this sinking world.

JEREMY August 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm

AMAZING! ITS JUST AMAZING TO ME THAT ONE OF THE MOST EMPOWERING SHOWS THAT I’VE SEEN IN DECADES IS CANCELED AFTER JUST TWO EPISODES.
IT’S JUST SAD THAT NEGATIVE AND FAKE SHOWS SELL MORE THAN POSITIVE AND INSPIRING ONES.
WE THE PUBLIC AS A MAJORITY ASK FOR IT THOUGH.

IT’S TRULY EVIDENT NOW WHY THAT 3% OF THE POPULATION CONTROLS THE OTHER 97% AS FAR AS FINANCES.

THANKS TONY FOR THE EMPOWERING TWO EPISODES.
NBC PLEASE SELL TONY BACK HIS EPISODES AS HE WOULD GET A HELL OF ALOT MORE MONEY AND USE OUT OF THEM THAN YOU EVER WILL.

THIS IS WHY I DON’T WATCH THE TV THAT MUCH