Brothers & Sisters: Will the Series Be Cancelled After Season Five?

Brothers & SistersOver the summer, rumors were flying that Brothers & Sisters would be finished at the end of season five.

Much of that speculation stemmed from the fact that series regulars Rob Lowe and Emily VanCamp were leaving, Calista Flockhart was cutting back her appearances, and ABC only committed to 18 episodes for year five. The ratings also hit some all-time lows towards the end of last season with a 2.3 in the all-important 18-49 demographic.

Despite those negatives, executive producer David Marshall Grant maintained, “No one has told me that it’s the last season.” As a result, he wasn’t making any plans to steer the storylines to a series finale. He noted, “I don’t want to do that. It’s sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

If there were any plans by the network to bring Brothers & Sisters to a close, they seem to have been sidelined. ABC recently ordered four additional episodes, bringing the season five total to 22 installments. What’s more, the ratings have come back up.

This season, the Sunday night drama is averaging a 2.8 rating in the demo and 9.09 million viewers. That’s the show’s lowest season average to date but Brothers & Sisters is the network’s sixth best performing scripted series in the demo, coming in just below Private Practice. While they’d surely like the numbers to be better, ABC has lots of weaker shows to deal with.

For now at least, Brothers & Sisters looks to be on track for a sixth season renewal.

What do you think? Do you want Brothers & Sisters to keep going? Should it be renewed for season six or is it time for the show to be cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

211 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Randie says

I think the show should return for a least one more season. Writers should kick it up a notch . Bring a new love into Kitty’s life and get ride of the young love. I also agree if the show is going to be canceled; give the viewers closure.

2. Bette says

No…..not another great series going by the wayside! I’m so fed up with all of the vampire, blood & guts fiction, police series……I really looked forward to the trials and diversity of the “Walkers”

3. tracy says

PLZ dont take away my show i love the walkers me and my family sit and watch it every sunday………………………..plz keep it on air

4. Kelly Outwater says

Loved the show! Very wholesome family show with all kinds of family drama. At least give us closure with what was left from last year before you cancel it! We deserve that! Thank you. A loyal fan.

5. dorothy says

Great cast..great story line…a sticom that the FAMILY can watch together…doen’t bother me that some cast members come and go…makes it interesting. Hope the brass at ABC will keep Brothers and Sisters on for several more seasons. Thanks for a good clean program

6. lucy says

POR FAVOR ESTA SERIE ES SIMPLEMENTE MAGNIFICA, OJALA HAGAN LA TEMPORADA 6 Y MUCHAS MAS. AMO A TODOS LOS WALKERS Y YA ME SIENTO PARTE DE LA FAMILIA. LA FAMILIA ES LA BASE DE LA SOCIEDAD Y ESTA SERIE ES UN BUEN EJEMPLO DE QUE LA UNION FAMILIAR ES EL PILAR MAS FUERTE PARA UN MEJOR MUNDO. CREO QUE LA CADENA DE TV ABC TIENE UN COMPROMISO PARA CON LA SOCIEDAD..GRACIAS Y DIOS QUIERA TOMEN EN CUENTA MI COMENTARIO.

7. Mary says

Please bring Brothers and Sisters back! It is one of the few shows that I watch. I love all the actors and actresses.