Brothers & Sisters: Will the Series Be Cancelled After Season Five?

Brothers & SistersOver the summer, rumors were flying that Brothers & Sisters would be finished at the end of season five.

Much of that speculation stemmed from the fact that series regulars Rob Lowe and Emily VanCamp were leaving, Calista Flockhart was cutting back her appearances, and ABC only committed to 18 episodes for year five. The ratings also hit some all-time lows towards the end of last season with a 2.3 in the all-important 18-49 demographic.

Despite those negatives, executive producer David Marshall Grant maintained, “No one has told me that it’s the last season.” As a result, he wasn’t making any plans to steer the storylines to a series finale. He noted, “I don’t want to do that. It’s sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

If there were any plans by the network to bring Brothers & Sisters to a close, they seem to have been sidelined. ABC recently ordered four additional episodes, bringing the season five total to 22 installments. What’s more, the ratings have come back up.

This season, the Sunday night drama is averaging a 2.8 rating in the demo and 9.09 million viewers. That’s the show’s lowest season average to date but Brothers & Sisters is the network’s sixth best performing scripted series in the demo, coming in just below Private Practice. While they’d surely like the numbers to be better, ABC has lots of weaker shows to deal with.

For now at least, Brothers & Sisters looks to be on track for a sixth season renewal.

What do you think? Do you want Brothers & Sisters to keep going? Should it be renewed for season six or is it time for the show to be cancelled?

Jocelyn September 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm

This is the best show on TV! Taking this off the air would be a big mistake! Thanks for sharing the Walker family with us!

LISA September 19, 2011 at 3:19 am

LOVE IT. LEAVE IT.

Anonymous September 16, 2011 at 9:40 pm

PLEASE KEEP BROTHERS ANBD SISTERS ON TH AIR. IT IS A GOOD FAMILY SHOW. I HOPE ABC HAS DECIDED T TENE IT FOR 2011/2012.

sandra stanley September 15, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Please don’t cancel the show. Sally Fields and the rest of the cast are wonderful. The story line is great.

There is so much garbage and reality show on TV. They are horrible and useless to watch.
Thanks,
SSS

Karen September 14, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Keep the show on, it’s wonderful. The actors are great and the story lines are interesting.

Maureen September 13, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Please come back on soon “brothers and sisters” I love that show

Brigitta September 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Of course the series must keep going. I really do love the drama series. very interesting. Keep going please !

Adell September 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I haven’t seen anything about Brothers and Sisters being aired in Septemer of 2011. This is by far one of the best shows TV has to offer. I never miss an episode. Please don’t take this off the air. There is so much junk on TV now it isn’t worth watching, but this is a really good show. Add to Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice and we have at 3 great shows to look forward to. All that reality TV you can keep. That is junk.

suzanne September 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I don’t understand why it is being cancelled, I looked forward to watching it on Sunday nights. It is one of the most intertaining shows on air. The actors can actually act on this show. I am in my 50′s and it is one of the few remaining shows that I enjoy.

marie September 7, 2011 at 3:21 am

please please please ,my husband works away for 6 weeks at a time ,it is all that keeps me going ,knowing i have something decent to watch when he goes,i have all the other seasoons on dvd

Darlene September 6, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I am hooked on this show!! can’t wait to watch it each day. Please reconsider canceling.

Janell September 6, 2011 at 5:55 am

I love this show… Please don’t cancel it, God there are so many other shows that are terrible cancel them !!!

lois September 4, 2011 at 8:54 pm

please keep this show n the air – best show on TV in my opinion. I look forward to each episode.

Anne September 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is one of the best written series on TV. I can’t believe they would think about canceling this show. It incorporates many issues that families have to deal with this day and age. Please, please don’t cancel the show. I love it and all of the characters!!

Mary September 20, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I REALLY LIKE
BROTHER AND SISTERS I BELEAVE IT SHOULD COME BACK. iT JUST STOPED WITH NO FINAL EPASODE OR ANYTHING. i MISS IT.

Joe September 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm

please keep this show on the air! Such an addict