Brothers & Sisters: Will the Series Be Cancelled After Season Five?

Brothers & SistersOver the summer, rumors were flying that Brothers & Sisters would be finished at the end of season five.

Much of that speculation stemmed from the fact that series regulars Rob Lowe and Emily VanCamp were leaving, Calista Flockhart was cutting back her appearances, and ABC only committed to 18 episodes for year five. The ratings also hit some all-time lows towards the end of last season with a 2.3 in the all-important 18-49 demographic.

Despite those negatives, executive producer David Marshall Grant maintained, “No one has told me that it’s the last season.” As a result, he wasn’t making any plans to steer the storylines to a series finale. He noted, “I don’t want to do that. It’s sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

If there were any plans by the network to bring Brothers & Sisters to a close, they seem to have been sidelined. ABC recently ordered four additional episodes, bringing the season five total to 22 installments. What’s more, the ratings have come back up.

This season, the Sunday night drama is averaging a 2.8 rating in the demo and 9.09 million viewers. That’s the show’s lowest season average to date but Brothers & Sisters is the network’s sixth best performing scripted series in the demo, coming in just below Private Practice. While they’d surely like the numbers to be better, ABC has lots of weaker shows to deal with.

For now at least, Brothers & Sisters looks to be on track for a sixth season renewal.

What do you think? Do you want Brothers & Sisters to keep going? Should it be renewed for season six or is it time for the show to be cancelled?

Sheila October 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Please do not cancel the show…..have been faithfully watching since the beginning. My sundays have not been the same. My boyfriend and I love the show.
Is the show coming back!!!!

Penny October 17, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Please bring back Brothers & Sisters! It is a great show; however, I have not seen any previews for this Fall 2011.

Is it coming back?

Debby October 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I think the show should continue for at least one more season. The way that it ended in season 5 made it to were it at least needs a finialy season 6. I loved that show watched evey Sunday with out fail.

Roni September 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I love this show… look forward to every sunday night…. please keep it going. I love the humor in this show.

Jean September 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Very disappointed if it gets cancelled, it was a great show with a great story.

Ddolores September 25, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Brothers and sisters is a great show. I look forward to watching it every week. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT IS NOT YET ON THE AIR. PLEASE, PLEASE PUT IT BACK ON THE AIR.

Kay Browning September 25, 2011 at 7:25 am

The Brothers and sisters are our family and we have lived for it every Sunday and felt
so disappointed when it was pre-empted for something else.
Please reconsider removing it and at least give it a bang up exit.

Dawn S Grounds September 23, 2011 at 6:10 pm

My daughter and I watch it very sunday.
Please keep going.
I love ALL the character.

Kat September 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Bring it back it was the best I was really looking for the Season opener (6)!

B. Giresi September 23, 2011 at 10:22 am

Please keep Brothers and Sisters going- it’s an excellent show!!!

Vicki September 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Don’t cancel Brother” and Sister’s – LOVE IT

Jane Spanski September 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm

There are so many new shows coming up that I would not even consider watching. Brothers and Sisters is a fabulous series. Our family has been watching it for five years and are looking forward to it appearing again this year. The writers are fantastic. You never know what’s going to happen next and it keeps your interest. It is intelligent television viewing. Not like some shows that bore you to no end. Where can you watch outstanding acting like Sally Fields and the other female actresses on the show. Please, do not cancel. We only have a few very good quality shows left, and Brothers and Sisters is considered one of them.

donna September 22, 2011 at 9:02 am

KEEP IT GOING >>>LOVE THE SHOW>>>>

Jane September 22, 2011 at 7:18 am

This show was amazing…. Please do not cancel… The actors were great….

Holly September 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Please reconsider renewing Brothers and Sisters for a sixth season. It is a well written show and the cast of actors and actresses are a great ensemble together. Even if only to finish and finalize the series, it would be a good show to continue.

Anonymous September 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm