Brothers & Sisters: To Be Cancelled After Five Seasons?

Brothers & SistersOver the weekend, Brothers & Sisters star Rachel Griffiths was in Australia and joked that her show was going to be cancelled. “I’m soon to be unemployed so I checked in with [welfare office] Centrelink and said, ‘Looks like I’m out of a job and wanna sign up.’” she shared.

A representative for ABC says that no decision about the TV show’s fate has been made yet but, quite honestly, it’s very rare for a network to admit a show’s been cancelled.

There has been talk for some time that the series won’t be renewed for a sixth season. Brothers & Sisters is quite expensive to produce and the ratings are a far cry from what they once were. Recently, they’ve gotten downright terrible.

There was a lot of talk that the show would be cancelled last season when the show was averaging a 2.9 in the 18-49 demographic and 8.99 million viewers but ABC ended up giving it another chance. The future was looking okay at the start of this season but the ratings have been inching downward for much of the season.

A few weeks ago, Brothers & Sisters hit a new series low with a terrible 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demo graphic and 6.32 million viewers.

The one thing that could save Brothers & Sisters is the fact that ABC’s had such terrible luck with new dramas. The network execs have been searching for new dramas to replace their aging ones for some time.

Unfortunately, with the exception of Body of Proof, they’ve struck out with about every new one this season. My Generation, The Whole Truth, Detroit 1-8-7, and No Ordinary Family have all been cancelled or will be cancelled soon.

These failures might give Brothers & Sisters a reprise but the numbers will have to start turning around for that to be a serious consideration. Last night’s 2.1 rating is a step in the right direction but it may already be too late.

ABC announces its new season on May 16th so there are just two original episodes left before a decision about season six is made.

What do you think? Do you think Brothers & Sisters will be renewed or cancelled? Is it time for the series to go?

Gwyn May 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I’m very disspointed…. I look so forward to watch this show on Sunday Night, my favorite show. I like the new man (Brody) in Nora’s Life. Sally Field does a wonderful job! Hope the show comes back!

michele frazier May 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

I believe that ABC has lost its ever loving mind. All My Children, One Life to Live and Brothers and Sisters. STOP! Leave them all alone, people love these shows. Soaps…a way to decompress after a long day. I DVR them. Plus baby boomers who made these shows are getting ready to retire, ABC you have a whole new viewing audience about to re-enter the TV scene. Personally I am sick of reality shows and I can watch cooking on the Food Network and we just are tired of ABC cancelling the Soaps and now Brothers and Sisters. Revamp, leave the soaps alone! Leave B&S alone. Why why why!

Sherri May 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm

ABC now stands for Another Bunch of Crap!! The best show on TV is cancelled! This is very low ABC! At least five us one more season. What happens with Kitty? Will Nora and Brody finally pick up there true love? If you were going to end it, why didn’t they do it when Robert died? You suck ABC!

Michelle May 23, 2011 at 7:48 am

Please don’t cancel the show. I really look forward to watching it every week.

Diane Drake May 19, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Oh, I will be so unhappy to hear my favorite show has been canceled. Please tell me it isn’t so!

Kevin May 18, 2011 at 11:11 am

I look forward to this show, do not cancel. There is a lot of people over 49 that watch TV.

Vicki Wright May 18, 2011 at 11:09 am

DO NOT CANCEL, WE LOVE THIS SHOW.

Barb May 17, 2011 at 11:01 am

Please don’t cancel Brothers & Sisters! It is one of two shows I watch on a regular basis. Then again, you probably don’t care about my opinion. I’m not in the 18-49 viewer category, but I still see the commercials (and shop)…….

EW May 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I absoluetly love this show, please re-consider

Diane May 17, 2011 at 7:41 am

Are you kidding – cancelled? I just love this show. One of the few drama series that I watch – very disappointed. With all the other garbage on TV this gets cut!

Marg May 17, 2011 at 7:16 am

Do not take this show off the air! It’s a fantastic show…never miss it! …and have friends who just started watching this season and are going back to catch up because they love it so much. It’s such a quality show… the storyline and acting on this show make it such worthwhile viewing.

jc May 17, 2011 at 6:16 am

I am outraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brothers and Sisters is my absolute favorite show… I feel like a part of my family just died. The chemestry that this group has, the laughs, teh crying and the outstanding writers of this show will be so missed. ABC shame on You!!!!! It is time to switch networks………………

Anonymous May 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm

A favorite show, no more reality shows, keep Brothers and Sisters… DO NOT Cancel.

anonymous May 16, 2011 at 12:37 pm

can’t believe the one good show and you cancel it. So tired of reality t.v. what were you thinking.

Stephanie May 16, 2011 at 11:58 am

I am so mad! maybe someone else could pick it up? darn you abc!

Austin May 16, 2011 at 8:26 am

please do not cancelled the show