Brothers & Sisters: To Be Cancelled After Five Seasons?

Brothers & SistersOver the weekend, Brothers & Sisters star Rachel Griffiths was in Australia and joked that her show was going to be cancelled. “I’m soon to be unemployed so I checked in with [welfare office] Centrelink and said, ‘Looks like I’m out of a job and wanna sign up.'” she shared.

A representative for ABC says that no decision about the TV show’s fate has been made yet but, quite honestly, it’s very rare for a network to admit a show’s been cancelled.

There has been talk for some time that the series won’t be renewed for a sixth season. Brothers & Sisters is quite expensive to produce and the ratings are a far cry from what they once were. Recently, they’ve gotten downright terrible.

There was a lot of talk that the show would be cancelled last season when the show was averaging a 2.9 in the 18-49 demographic and 8.99 million viewers but ABC ended up giving it another chance. The future was looking okay at the start of this season but the ratings have been inching downward for much of the season.

A few weeks ago, Brothers & Sisters hit a new series low with a terrible 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demo graphic and 6.32 million viewers.

The one thing that could save Brothers & Sisters is the fact that ABC’s had such terrible luck with new dramas. The network execs have been searching for new dramas to replace their aging ones for some time.

Unfortunately, with the exception of Body of Proof, they’ve struck out with about every new one this season. My Generation, The Whole Truth, Detroit 1-8-7, and No Ordinary Family have all been cancelled or will be cancelled soon.

These failures might give Brothers & Sisters a reprise but the numbers will have to start turning around for that to be a serious consideration. Last night’s 2.1 rating is a step in the right direction but it may already be too late.

ABC announces its new season on May 16th so there are just two original episodes left before a decision about season six is made.

What do you think? Do you think Brothers & Sisters will be renewed or cancelled? Is it time for the series to go?

Janis October 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Sad to see this show end. Loved it!!!!

deb October 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm

love the show, want more

CORY P August 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

This show started slow but has grown on me & I’m sad to see that it has been canceled. I watch the double episodes every Saturday night on Az 7 channel 13. Great cast great family. True life. nice to see. reality tv makes me PUCK! bring back this great show.

Anonymous August 12, 2011 at 9:12 pm

It is a good show and with DHW leaving a new time slot for this show could help.
But I’m not surprised ABC is canceling it, that’s what they do best! Cancel the good programs. So as they leave, I do not watch the new ones, there are other channels.

Justine June 21, 2011 at 7:59 am

I loved this show too, it was even better than Desperate housewives I like Desperate Housewives but they are running out of story lines. Its the same old stuff. I hope they keep Brothers and Sisters on, I love the characters, especially Sally Field. I was surprised to hear that it may not come back for the new season.

Roxanne June 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Please keep the show!
I’ve watched it from day one, and I still love it.

Brendon June 18, 2011 at 8:28 am

I am disappointed the show has ended. this show gave me an outlet to feel emotions that i would not normally express, because of how much i can relate to specific characters of the show. I wish they kept the show going, because lets face it there is absolutely nothing decent on tv these days, and ratings are only dropping because people are finding other things to do, like use there computer.

Mary June 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

I will be disappointed with ABC does this! Body of Proof to me is a terrible show. Brothers & Sisters is fantastic. What are they honestly thinking! Every time a great show may come out they cancel it.

tamara June 17, 2011 at 4:24 am

I love this show and was devastated when I herd of the cancellation.
The 9.30 time slot was much better, but I still stayed awake to watch my favorite show.
I never missed an episode. This show was all about real things that happen in families and always gave me that warm feeling. We need more of these shows and get ride of all the reality and cooking crap that is on these days. I am now very unhappy that this was canceled.

JOSEPH June 17, 2011 at 3:16 am

i’m glad this cr*p is finally over. Now I get my wife back!!!!!!

thomas June 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Keep the show on can’t leave it on a cliff hanger !

Therese Alexander June 14, 2011 at 4:17 am

Love the show and would hate to see it finish. Characters are so much nicer than in the past. Pls…… dont cancel.

Jane McGreevey June 14, 2011 at 2:00 am

I love this show in Australia and it shouldn’t be cancelled.

Kat June 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I thought the show was fantastic and am very sad to hear its ended!

Chris June 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I will be very disappointed if they cancel this show. It reflects so much that is real today with large families. I know because come from one. but it seems like if they are not using the F word, committing adultery, or showing it all in the bedroom they want to cancel the show. On the negative side I do think the show began sending a few to many politically correct messages and some audiences may have found it distasteful. Just a thought. But I personally know that in large families you have a lot of diversity so that is why I had no difficulty relating to the show.