Brothers & Sisters: ABC Series Renewed for Season Five

Brothers & SistersThe alphabet network has renewed Sunday night drama Brothers & Sisters for a fifth season. As you may have heard, there are big changes in store for the TV show.

Brothers & Sisters revolves around the Walker family as they deal with their own personal dilemmas and run the family business, Ojai Foods. The ABC cast includes Calista Flockhart, Sally Field, Dave Annable, Emily VanCamp, Kerris Lilla Dorsey, Luke Grimes, Luke Macfarlane, Matthew Rhys, Maxwell Perry Cotton, Patricia Wettig, Rachel Griffiths, Rob Lowe, Ron Rifkin, and Balthazar Getty.

While the ratings this season are down from last year, the decrease isn’t dramatic (unlike most everything on the show). Last season, Brothers & Sisters averaged a 3.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.87 million viewers. So far, the ABC drama’s averaged a 3.0 in the demo and 9.23 million viewers.

The show’s now been renewed for a fifth season. No word on how many installments ABC will order but a full season of 22-24 episodes is expected.

However many episodes there are, they will likely be full of changes. Lowe is leaving the series later this season and Flockhart is supposedly going to be cutting back the number of episodes she’ll do. In addition, Gilles Marini, who plays the boyfriend of Sarah Walker (Griffiths), may become a series regular next season.

What do you think? Are you glad that Brothers & Sisters has been renewed? Do you think the cast changes will result in the show being cancelled or revitalized?

Linda March 31, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I agree with all these comments – this show is GREAT! Why would they cancel? I would really hate to see it end. I just watched the last episode of season 4 on Netflex and even though I’ll be missing a few episodes, I will start watching the 5th season on TV on Sunday night – can’t wait. I too will miss Rob Lowe – he was terrific. Please reconsider cancelling this show.

Whitney March 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I love this show. I stay up everynight til at least 2am watching the dvd’s

Charlene March 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I hope ABC doesn’t cancel Brothers & Sisters, as it being “soapy” nothing wrong with that there are much worse things on tv that in my opinion should get the axe, like most of the reality series too much of that taking over tv!!!

JUDY BENTLEY March 29, 2011 at 9:44 am

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE WATCHED A SERIES, OR FOR THAT MATTER, MUCH ON TELEVISION OTHER THAN THE NEWS. I HAVE PURCHASED ALL 4 SEASONS THAT ARE AVAILABLE AND AM IN WITHDRAWL. I WAS IN A SERIOUS CAR ACCIDENT AND LAID ON THE SOFA FOR 4 WEEKS. THE BROTHERS AND SISTERS SERIES WAS THE ONLY THING THAT ALLOWED ME TO RETAIN MY SANITY….PUHLEEEEESSSE DO NOT CANCEL.. AS FOR ROB LOWE LEAVING THE SERIES, THAT WOULD BE A DISASTER OF GREAT PROPORTIONS……A CANADIAN FAN!!!

Candace March 29, 2011 at 5:02 am

THIS HAS GOT TO BE ONE OF THE BEST SERIES I HAVE WATCHED SINCE E.R
ONE MINUTE YOU’RE LAUGHING THE NEXT CRYING…IT DEFINITELY KEEPS TTOU ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT, AND WANTING MORE..
LOVE IT
HOPE IT DOESNT END

Shana March 19, 2011 at 7:56 am

please dont cancel… i love love the show……it really is the closest to reality and filled with a great cast.
love it

Luly February 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I love this show and I own all the DVDs that are out. I would be dissapointed if the show was cancelled. I don’t think the show needed changes in the cast and as long as the original Walker family is still there, I am delighted. I will miss “Robert” and of course beautiful and sweet “Rebecca”, but I am holding my breath hoping this show will go on and on. I can relate to many of the roles so beautifully played.

Elizabeth February 21, 2011 at 9:16 am

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, DO NOT CANCEL Brothers and Sisters. I look forward to Sunday Evenings so that I can watch this show. It is a show that in the beginning bothered me a little because of all of the family arguments, but after a few weeks it made me realize that families argue, but it doesn’t replace the love of the family that always shines through. Now, I look forward to the family upheaval and know that the tightness of the family will remain in tact. I am so tired of networks drawing us in and then dropping us. You’ve got 9.23 million viewers, 9.23, I find that amazing. It is not time for this wonderful show to end. Please finish it out and do not leave us hanging. We are up for another season.

Julia February 20, 2011 at 9:17 pm

This series is top of the line. The acting is excellent, the writing is fantastic, and it as a program that does not insult our intelligence. In fact it takes sensitive issues such as gay marriage and single motherhood, and handles them with grace. The strong women are believable and likable, yet flawed, as are the men. I’d like to see a bit more ethnic diversity as an intrinsic part of the family however.

Nevertheless, I give this program 5 stars!

Christie February 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

This show started off really good and has become just another crap soapy drama. I hope it gets axed. I’ve stopped watching it.

K.C. February 10, 2011 at 5:04 pm

This is a very well acted show with great actors and storylines. I hope it does not get cancelled. As long as Sally Fields, Callista Flockhart, etc, are in it people will watch it.

kelly February 9, 2011 at 8:23 am

I love this show and i hope it is not canceled. I bought all four seasons and so into it.
It makes me laugh and cry and i think people can relate to it.
It’s hard to watch just one episode i watched all of season 4 in one weekend, its a brillant tv series and i hope it continues for a long time. :o)

nancy witwer February 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I hope it is not canceled. I bought all 4 seasons. My husband and I watched for hours–all 4 seasons. We loved the programs and had great fun watching them together. We loved the family–felt like our family.

Cari January 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love this show I’m so into it I think it’s the best show since desperate housewives. The execs are right on with this show many people can relate to it’s Aristotle I hope it continues for a long time

JT January 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

Love this show. Cannot wait till Netflix has season five. I am hoping the TV execs know that they are on to something(sometimes the higher ups don’t know what they are doing except have loads of meetings).

Does anyone know of a show just as good as this one?

judy sandoval February 11, 2011 at 1:28 am

I absolutely love this show. I have all of the seasons so far on dvd. I can not wait for the next season. I have laughed and cried in the same episode. Rob Lowe is going to be missed. Sally Field and the rest of the cast are great. Please do not cancel Brothers and Sisters.