Bunheads

ABC Family Bunheads TV seriesNetwork: ABC Family
Episodes: 18 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: June 11, 2012 — February 25, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Sutton Foster, Kaitlyn Jenkins, Julia Goldani Telles, Bailey Buntain, Emma Dumont, Kelly Bishop, and Alan Ruck.

TV show description:
Tired of her life as a chorus girl in Las Vegas, Michelle Simms (Sutton Foster) reluctantly agrees to marry Hubbell Flowers (Alan Ruck) on a whim. He loves her dearly and promises to give her a better life, away from The Strip.

Hubbell brings her to his small hometown, where she is not exactly greeted with open arms. Hubbell’s overbearing mother, Fanny (Kelly Bishop), is appalled by the news of their marriage, and frowns on the idea of Michelle moving in with them. Fanny later hosts a wedding reception, where Michelle meets the colorful locals and they all seem to despise her.

The only people that Michelle connects with are Fanny’s ballet students, particularly Bettina “Boo” Jordan (Kaitlyn Jenkins), Ginny Thompson (Bailey Buntain), Melanie Segal (Emma Dumont), and Sasha Torres (Julia Goldani Telles). They’re all very impressed with Michelle’s real world dance experience. Boo takes Michelle’s advice on auditioning to heart, and feels inspired to try out for a prestigious local performance.

Things are starting to look up for Michelle but then, Hubbell is suddenly killed in a car accident. As a result, she’s left feeling alone and very unsure about her future.

Series Finale:
Episode 18 — Next!
Michelle auditions for a show in Los Angeles. Sasha and Boo think about taking their respective relationships to the next level.
First aired: February 25, 2013.

What do you think? Do you like the Bunheads TV series? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and there won’t be a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

160 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Diane says

Witty, fast-paced and delightfully quirky dialogue–delicious
    The dancers are fantastic! Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop are a dynamite pair with a terrific chemistry between the characters. Of course, Sutton brings a wealth of Broadway with her and I am delighted that I finally get to “see” her!
    The writers must be given tremendous credit for the story lines and dialogue. The actors/actresses should be given tremendous credit for making the dialogue zip through their characters and keep us coming back for more.
    P.S. Bailey Buntan’s “mother” should have been Meghan Hilty. See the resemblance?!

2. says

Love, love, love this show. So fresh and witty and endearing and FUN. Very fast-paced in dialogue yet so comfortable and charming and eccentric. It was such a breath of fresh air to find this show. I doubt it will last…it’s too good.

3. Natalie says

I absolutely LOVE this show!! Much thanks to Amy Sherman Palladino for another hit! Long live this show!

4. Erin says

I love love love this show it’s witty and fast like Gilmore Girls it’s got charm. My husband even enjoys watching it with me. It’s a keeper I look forward to watching it every Monday!!

5. Jane says

Luv Bunheads…it’s on here in the west at 6 & 7 PM. Pacific Daylight time on ABCF (ABC Family).
    The whole program is fantastic…both adults and ‘teens’…..took dancing from age 3 to 17 and loved every minute…..enjoyed the adult tap class this last program…..
    Michelle is so funny…in fact the whole show is really hilarious……
    Hope to see much more of this series!

6. Jenny says

I love this show too. What has happened to it? I see it is not canceled but dissappeared on the tv show list. Bring this show back!

7. Carol says

Love the show, but where did it go? Maybe because they are close to my age group, I really like the older ladies. They could be the new Golden Girls. I can see some of me and my friends in each of them. Hope it runs for a long time. But why did they kill off Hubble so fast? Would have made the show more interesting on how the relationship will work out, specifically why his mother is such a collector boarder hoarder.

8. Lisa Aiken says

I love this show. Very well written and hilarious. I usually never watch new shows during their first season, fearing they may be cancelled and I wasted my time….but this show was the exception for me. Please don’t cancel it!

• Carol says

Lisa you aren’t wasting your time if you really liked a show because it made you feel good during the time you watched it. I really miss the Monk show but have found some new ones to replace, like Rizzoli & Isles.

9. David says

I am a Jock and I Love this show!
    The writing is witty, clever and a breath of fresh air, especially the way Michelle and Fanny delivers. The Bunhead dancers are adorable and talented and I only hope that the show continues for years!! You could sense that Fanny and Michelle will eventually develop a loving bond that is truly special.
    Thank you Bunheads!