Buried Treasure: New FOX Reality Show; Cancel or Keep It?

Buried Treasure cancel or keepLast week, the FOX network debuted a new reality TV series called Buried Treasure. Will this one be a goldmine for the network like American Idol or dead weight that will be quickly cancelled?

Buried Treasure follows twin brothers and appraisers Leigh and Leslie Keno as they visit people’s homes. Appearing as appraisers on the PBS series Antique Roadshow, the “treasure hunters” help people discover that some of the items in their homes may be worth a lot more than they know. For example, the old cabinet that was your grandmother’s might be worth enough to wipe out your credit card debt or pay for your kid’s college education. Viewers also get to see how these discoveries affect the owner’s lives.

The TV show debuted last Wednesday to a very disappointing 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 3.67 million viewers. It ranked fourth in its timeslot, well behind CBS’ Big Brother, NBC’s Minute to Win It, and a repeat of ABC’s The Middle. Buried Treasure is currently the lowest-rated FOX series of the summer schedule.

By running Buried Treasure in the middle of summer, FOX obviously doesn’t have a lot of faith in the show and, based on the ratings, it doesn’t look like they were off base. Still, they aren’t pulling the series and are instead adding encores to the schedule for added exposure. This Wednesday’s original installment will be followed by a repeat of the premiere. Unfortunately, it’s unlikely to help.

Coming from ITV Studios, only four episodes of Buried Treasure have been produced. It seems likely that FOX will air them all but there’s simply no reason for the network to order any more.

But, what do you think? Is Buried Treasure worth watching? Would you renew it for another season or should it be quickly cancelled instead?

Canceled and renewed TV show

114 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I checked out the series since the beginning when it debuted in August. Then, a few weeks later, I checked the FOX website and it displayed “Buried Treasure – SEASON FINALE Tonight 8/7c”. That’s when I knew FOX had only intended for it to be a filler series until the premiere of the X Factor. Definitely one of the shortest television seasons to date with only 4 episodes. We’ll see if FOX brings it back or not.

2. lori says

I think they should put that show back on. I watched all the episodes and was looking forward to seeing more. I would much rather watch something like that rather than some of these are highly retarted reality shows

3. ananymous says

I loved the show those 2 brothers have always been my favourites when they were on Antique Roadshow. There enthusiasm and knowledge makes this a show I saw it accidently at first as I never look at a tv guideI. would want to see weekly but was just looking it up to see when it will be on again and found out there were only 4 episodes and of course I missed the 4th. Please continue this show.

4. Tracy Brainard says

I really, Really, Really hope Buried Treasure is NOT cancele. I LOVE watching the Keno brothers find the treasures. Im really hoping FOX keeps it.

5. Anonymous says

Please keep this show…friends and family were talking about it and all of a sudden it’s gone!! Great show for all ages

6. Kathleen Lauinger says

I hope you give this show a chance, I caught the end of it that day it was on was looking forward to this show. I think it will be a huge success.

7. T. Clark says

I had Tivo all ready to recored with a season pass! I looked forward to crawling in bed and watching every Wednesday night. Then all of a sudden…. no recording, no show! So very sad!! The twins are great, the theme new, family friendly and you don’t have nightmares after watching it. Please bring it back and give the rest of us something new to watch.