Buried Treasure: New FOX Reality Show; Cancel or Keep It?

Buried Treasure cancel or keepLast week, the FOX network debuted a new reality TV series called Buried Treasure. Will this one be a goldmine for the network like American Idol or dead weight that will be quickly cancelled?

Buried Treasure follows twin brothers and appraisers Leigh and Leslie Keno as they visit people’s homes. Appearing as appraisers on the PBS series Antique Roadshow, the “treasure hunters” help people discover that some of the items in their homes may be worth a lot more than they know. For example, the old cabinet that was your grandmother’s might be worth enough to wipe out your credit card debt or pay for your kid’s college education. Viewers also get to see how these discoveries affect the owner’s lives.

The TV show debuted last Wednesday to a very disappointing 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 3.67 million viewers. It ranked fourth in its timeslot, well behind CBS’ Big Brother, NBC’s Minute to Win It, and a repeat of ABC’s The Middle. Buried Treasure is currently the lowest-rated FOX series of the summer schedule.

By running Buried Treasure in the middle of summer, FOX obviously doesn’t have a lot of faith in the show and, based on the ratings, it doesn’t look like they were off base. Still, they aren’t pulling the series and are instead adding encores to the schedule for added exposure. This Wednesday’s original installment will be followed by a repeat of the premiere. Unfortunately, it’s unlikely to help.

Coming from ITV Studios, only four episodes of Buried Treasure have been produced. It seems likely that FOX will air them all but there’s simply no reason for the network to order any more.

But, what do you think? Is Buried Treasure worth watching? Would you renew it for another season or should it be quickly cancelled instead?

Canceled and renewed TV show

114 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Barbara says

My husband & i absolutely loved this show and will be very disappointed if FOX doesn’t bring it back. We especially loved the sincerity and compassion of the Keno brothers and are amazed at their incredible knowledge. This is a truly intersting and enjoyable reality show. Please do not cancel it!!!

2. Janet says

I and my extended family love this show!! It’s so fun to hunt with the Kenos, share their excitement, and hear all the history behind the articles. With all the junk airing, I hope the network can see the family quality in this show.

3. tasha says

I watch the show on demand and I thought I would just catch the next episode on demand like i DO WITH MOST OF THE TV SHOws .I will be very dsappointed I had told some other people about the show .I love the concept and everything else about the show. If fox would advertise it as much as they do for the cartoon shows like during an NFL game people want to watch more family /feeel good shows.

4. Julie says

FOX, My family and I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!! We have been watching for it to air. We can’t believe you only had a contract for 4 episodes HOW DUMB, if you were able to air more you should have. This show is very educational, informative and very cool for the non-history buff or for someone who didn’t realize that something they have could be worth so much. You base your ratings on only 4 shows. Obviously the FOX NETWORK didn’t want this show to be a success in the first place or they would have advertise better for better ratings. THIS SHOW NEED TO RETURN!!! Fox network is very disappointing because they can’t give a great show half a chance.

5. Jenness says

WE LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!! I HAVE BEEN CHECKING FOX OUT EVERY WEEK WONDERING WHERE IN THE WORLD THE SHOW WENT! GET RID OF THE REALITY SHOWS AND COP SHOWS AND BRING ON THE KENO BROTHERS, WE CAN’T WAIT TO FIND OUT ABOUT MORE BURIED TREASURE :) GIVE THEM A CHANCE, NO ONE HAS HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE SHOW YET IN JUST FOUR EPISODES, I HOPE FOX DOES NOT DISSAPOINT US.

6. Tina says

FOX has become even worse than I already thought they were. Why would they discontinue it after only 4 shows before anyone has a chance to even see it. Do they not realize that a new show has to air a few episodes before it catches on? People will talk about it at work and then they others will watch it, and then everyone starts watching and then you have a hit. The Keno Brothers’ show was fascinating and educational to watch, to boot. This is SO MUCH better than Pawn Stars and I happen to live in Vegas. Give these experts and charming men a chance! After this, I am boycotting Fox, not just because they are biased and one-sided politically, but because they are IDIOTS, too.

7. Jean Brantley says

Please continue this show. I’m a avid fan of the Antiques Road Show and really enjoyed Buried Treasure with the Keno Brothers.

8. Wendy says

This show is wonderful!!! Please bring it back! The Kenos are helping people who are going through tough times. It’s no different than than the home remodeling show that is helping people who are having tough times, except that the people the Keno’s help already own the treasures. What’s not to love? This show just needs a good time slot and some more advertising!

9. Maria Valdemi says

Buried Treasure is great and denotes what made Antiques Roadshow a success: The Keno Brothers. Bring it back!

• Linda says

Loved the show, and the fun and knowledge that the Keno Brothers bring. This is what reality programming should be–no fighting, no vulgarity, no false eyelashes or Botox! Please allow more.

10. Rick & Sharon says

BRING IT BACK!!! The Keno bros. are real and enthusiatic about history. Make Buried Treasure a regular program all year. Get rid of Simon and save money to get some quality back on the air. Trash breeds trash.

11. Steve says

I LOVED the show & the only reason I didn’t watch the 4th episode was my neighbor’s antenna was messing up my TV that evening. I was hoping to catch the repeat but the show disappeared.

I do wish they’d find a better time slot for it. Too much competition for 7 – 8 pm weekdays. Right now tho, no one has anything good on Wed or Thurs at all ! Or maybe show it on the weekends. No everyone likes sports, ya know.