Burn Notice

Burn NoticeNetwork: USA
Episodes: 111 + movie (hour)
Seasons: Seven

TV show dates: June 28, 2007 – September 12, 2013
Series status: Ended

Performers include: Jeffrey Donovan, Gabrielle Anwar, Bruce Campbell, Sharon Gless, Paul Tei, Tricia Helfer, Seth Peterson, Marc Macaulay, and Brandon Morris.

current TV show

TV show description:
This comedy/drama centers around a spy who’s received a “burn notice,” meaning that the agency that he works for has wiped him off the grid, leaving him with no work history, no money, and no identity.

Michael Westen (Jeffrey Donovan) flees a Nigerian operation that is taken down after the sudden non-cooperation of his U.S. contact. He soon finds himself back in his hometown of Miami with his ex, Fiona Glenanne (Gabrielle Anwar). A quick wit with two black belts, Michael’s assets have been frozen and he’s been abandoned by all of his business contacts. Michael learns that if he leaves Miami he’ll be taken into custody. So, working as a private investigator, he hopes to learn who burned him and why.

Fiona is a former IRA operative. She decides to stick around in Miami after Michael shows up and becomes one of his confidantes. She’s an explosives expert. Fiona and Michael are drawn to each other and, in their line of work, they really don’t have anyone else they can be with.

Sam Axe (Bruce Campbell) is a former Navy SEAL and a semi-retired intelligence operative. He works as a double agent and has been asked to report on Michael to the FBI. He tells Michael about this and they pass false information to the FBI. Using the alias of Chuck Finley, Sam has no job and no place to live, so he sleeps with rich, older women in exchange for food and shelter.

When Sam’s not doing that, he lives with Michael’s mom, a chain-smoking hypochondriac named Madeline Westen (Sharon Gless). Madeline’s other son is Nate (Seth Peterson), Micahel’s down-on-his-luck younger brother who has a tendency to wager property that he doesn’t own. Nate still resents Michael’s joining the military and leaving him at home with their abusive father. The brothers are able to find common ground when it comes to their desire to keep their Mom happy and safe.
space

Series Finale

Episode #111 — “Reckoning”
Michael finds himself in a standoff between Fiona and Sonya: between loyalty and betrayal. Michael was planning on turning against the CIA and allying himself with Sonya, but when Sonya tries to kill Fiona for getting in their way, Michael shoots Sonya dead.

Michael’s now back on the right track, but it’s too late: not only are James and his entire organization gunning for Michael, but now the CIA is, as well. Because Michael didn’t make good on his agreement to take James and his entire organization down within 48 hours, the CIA has opened up a manhunt for Michael and his friends, releasing their pictures to every law enforcement agency in Florida.

With their faces all over the news and everyone in Miami chasing after them, Michael and the team have no choice but to go ahead and finish the mission. Michael is going to take down James and his network, once and for all, or die trying.

Michael learns that James has a communication relay center hidden in an abandoned building in downtown Miami. Inside, there’s a hard drive that records every message that passes through there. Michael plans to get the hard drive and deliver it to the CIA, so they can locate and neutralize every member of James’ terrorist organization.

Jesse goes to Maddie’s house to get Maddie and Charlie. Maddie sacrifices herself by detonating a bomb and takes out James’ men with her.

Michael shoots James who in turn blows up the building, seemingly killing Michael and Fiona. After Sam presides over a military funeral for his friends, we learn that they have escaped They are presumed dead so they can have a new life raising Charlie together.
Note: The series ended with a thanks to Freddie Figueroa. He was the show’s medic who passed away from cancer.
First aired: September 12, 2013.

space
What do you think? Do you like the Burn Notice TV series? Do you think it should have been renewed for an eighth season?

Stephanie September 17, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I love burn notice and I hate that they cancelled it, I think that they should of kept it going it was a very popular show, why is it the networks always cancel the great ones and leave the crappy ones on the air? They left it so that burn notice can have a come back and I think they need to bring it back.

Barbara September 15, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I think you ended the series at the right time. We had grown to love them and we wanted them to be happy. I always thought Maddy was a tough lady and I am glad you let her be a heroine for a change.

Bob Price September 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I have always loved this show so I’m truly sorry that it has come to an end. Everything worked from the start because the dynamics were clearly thought through so that enjoyment from the fun, intrigue, relationships etc, etc were constant.
I’m bound to suffer withdrawal symptoms but cannot select any favorite character as they were all easily likable. That said, Fiona is a knock out.
Not sure how or what can replace this great show, it is going to be missed.

Terry September 14, 2013 at 11:35 am

Great show. Stumbled onto it by chance 2 yrs ago. The ending was extremely well done. The cast of characters were perfect together. Missed the finale to which I had been looking forward to with great anticipation. A bit of a family emergency prevented it otherwise wild horsed could not have dragged me away. But 2 days later I got a 2nd chance to see it. With all his faults Michael had a good heart . The sense of family between the characters as well as the lack of it in regard to Michael and his childhood all added to the show. Yes, there were times when the show got bogged down with the never ending string of cases the group took on but the continued narration of Michael and the spy lessons he gave us were always interesting. Couldn’t pick a favorite character if I was paid. From the beauty of Fiona to the antics of Sam and everything in between I will miss them all

jerry shainock September 14, 2013 at 3:50 am

best tv show ever/

Vera September 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I have only good things to say about this marvelous show. I have gained so much from it over the years . I have been introduced to so many wonderful guest stars that I would never have known had it not been for Burn Notice. I want to applaud the people responsible for casting such great talent in roles that fit them so well. I don’t think enough credit is given to them as it is a great talent to find the right people. When I saw the youngsters who played young Michael and Nate Weston, I was taken back. I also have been allowed, through Burn Notice, to gain a better appreciation of the Spanish and Russian cultures and the languages. Of course, the terrific acting of the main cast cannot be matched. What hurts me most is the fact that these great actors were not acknowledged as highly as they should have been during the course of these past seven years; neither was the great writing, directing and producing.

JACKIE September 13, 2013 at 3:00 pm

GREAT SHOW SORRY IT ENDED . WHY………………………WE NEED MORE SHOWS LIKE THAT………………

TexasBelle September 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Great story, wonderful story lines and some really ballsy characters. Going to miss the gang’s interaction (Michael, Sam, Jesse, Fiona and lets not forget Mom- Mattie).
While I’m sad the show has ended, thanks to the network bring closure to a wonderful series.
Goodbye my “bitchy little girlfriends” see ya in the reruns!

TJF September 13, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I was so sad to see this show go off the air….but I see that a lot of really great series are choosing, these days, to go out ‘on top,’ rather than spiraling downward over the years and going out on a less-than-stellar note….because the energy of an even great show doesn’t last forever. Think Sopranos.

That said, this show was BRILLIANT, I never missed an episode since the beginning ….the show’s premise was engaging and original, settings and story lines perfect…. really quality writing and production.

But the show would have never made it, in my opinion, without Jeffrey Donovan and Bruce Campbell, who played Michael Weston and Sam Axe. Jeffrey Donovan was flawless in the role of the handsome, wily, powerful, yet controlled bad a** Weston, to Sam Axe’s sexy yet dissipated, hothead rogue warrior type. They were amazing together.

The ending was just right…I won’t put any spoilers in here, but it was a memorable ending to a very unusual, excellent show.

marybeth September 13, 2013 at 10:16 am

This is an excellant show. Please reconsider pulling it.

Gloria Valedon September 13, 2013 at 7:32 am

I am extremely sad that the show was cancelled. I teach a literature course in a private college and one of the assignments was to watch Burn Notice every Thursday night because we were going to discuss the episode in class (plot ,characters ,narration ,setting etc) . The writing was remarkable (no curse words )and the actors were consistent and true to their persona. The details ,explanations , and sexual tension ( no nudity )were enticing !!! My best classes were the discussions based on this series ! Jeffrey Donovan’s smile and laughter ,unforgettable . I am grateful to USA Network for this really awesome show ! I will miss it terribly ( I own the 1st season ) My best wishes and continued success to each one of the actors – I loved your work !!! Blessings .
Gloria Valedon Ed. D.

Maria September 13, 2013 at 1:34 am

What is the real reason Burn Notice was taken off the air? Ratings? Contract negotiation problems? Were the actors no longer interested? What??? At least give the viewers a reason or reasons it was cancelled. It’s one of the best TV show over, the last few years and it’s going to be missed by a lot of viewers who have looked forward to the show on a weekly basis. Please put it back on the air……

Jared September 13, 2013 at 1:25 am

It should have been renewed, it can still be done, and the last episode was ended or left open like the series could possibly be renewed at a later date.

Ida September 13, 2013 at 12:18 am

WHY<WHY< WHY is Burn Notice ending????????// Absolutely loved the show and all the actors made you care about them. There is so much trash on TV and this was suc h a classy show. SHAME, SHAME, on USA network.

TJF September 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I so agree, Ida.

Sherry September 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

This is an excellent show with an excellent star cast!! Why remove a program that has many. many viewers?? Gunsmoke ran 20 years…why can’t Burn Notice run a few more years?????