Camelot: Starz TV Series Cancelled, No Season Two

Camelot canceled season twoStarz has decided to cancel their Camelot TV series after one season. While the ratings weren’t bad for the Arthurian show, the numbers aren’t necessarily the whole reason why there won’t be a second season.

Camelot, as you might have guessed, is based on the legend of King Arthur. The series stars Jamie Campbell Bower as a young King Arthur, with Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, Eva Green as Morgan, and Tamsin Egerton as Guinevere.

The premiere attracted 1.1 million viewers with a 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That marked the cable channel’s most-watched and highest-rated original series premiere to date. Unfortunately, the second installment dropped 24% in total viewership and subsequent episodes dropped even further. Still, by the end of the season, the ratings were on an upswing. The finale nearly matching the viewership of the premiere.

While Camelot may have ordinarily ended up getting a renewal from Starz, the ratings weren’t the only factor in play.

A statement from a Starz representative notes, “Due to significant production challenges, Starz has decided not to exercise the option for subsequent seasons of Camelot with our production partners GK-tv, Octagon Films and Take 5 Productions.” Deadline reports that some of those “challenges” included scheduling conflicts with some of the actors.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Camelot has been cancelled? Would you have liked to have seen a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

526 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. The Wiseman says

I’ll watch anything with Eva Green in it! She was especially good as “Morgana” and made the entire series for me!

2. Robin says

Such a wonderful story of knight hood and loyality to not the king. They were a band of brothers that believed in commitment, dedication and honor. The family between the mother, both foster and real mother depicted a depth of motherly love for there child Arthur. The father and the brother taught him so much about the common people amd his life was touched by this wisdom. Guinevere and her family close and her love of her husband was unyielding after the marriage. Today we do not have many of these attributes. So sad that a story of this character had to be discontinued

3. Randy says

How come all the good shows get cancelled and the sucky one continue, mabe a real channel like HBO will be smart enough to pick it up.

4. HEIDI DUFF says

I was deeply saddened to see that Starz didn’t return with Camelot for a second season. From the work that was put into the show on all accounts, from actors, staging , costumes etc. I was blown away- of how realistic it was portrayed compared to others attempts at the “Camelot” story…. I’d hope Starz reconsiders their decision and moves forward with a second season –

5. María says

Sad and disappointed. I’ve just bought season 1 on DVD to see it as much as I want since I learnt there wouldn’t be any other one.
    I loved the show and all of its characters.
    Real pity…

6. says

Being retired on a strict fixed income does not allow me to have cable so I have to wait until the season is released for sale. I cannot tell you just how much I enjoyed Camelot. When I found out there would not a season two, I cannot express just how disapointment set in. If there is a chance the producers of Starz would change their minds and continue with a season two I know there would be many happy viewers.

7. Kasujja Bashir says

I always wakeup to watch this show on wkend morning .its sad to know we won’t have any more productions

• Anonymous says

I just found this series only on the second episode and I am hooked and disappointed that there won’t be a second season!!!!!!! I searched for the second season to see when it started so that I didn’t miss it!!!!

Awesome show! I had no idea about these stories…. I am going to read about them now!

8. neemoose says

Starz is stupid for not continuing this show. Why start something and not finish. I am cancelling my supscription for this channel. Its like everything in this world, anything good gets cancelled or discontinued or taken off the market and we are left with all the ****, like Big Brother, what a waste of time.

9. Lisa says

Camelot was so amazing with the costumes and sets. All the actors were fabulous, especially Joseph Feinnes as Merlin. Please revive this spectacular series.

10. amy says

I only subscribed to Starz for Camelot and Spartacus, I will not be renewing my subscription with Starz after the final episode of Spartacus.

11. Angel says

I only watched start for this show, this is bad that Spartacus is all blood and guys but remains the show could’ve been given an additional season to see how well it faired. Starz will be cancelled

12. Charlene Johnson says

Loved this series, not renewing Starz subscription. Sets and costumes really original and innovative, amazing how this was created with so little fact to build on. Eva green was magnificent

13. Cheree says

I was only a subscriber to Starz for this show. If they’re not going to bring it back, then I might just cancel my subscription to this channel. I don’t watch the movies they play. So dissapointed!