Campus Ladies: Oxygen Drops Sitcom

Campus Ladies on OxygenJoan Beamin and Barri Martin, the main characters of Campus Ladies, may have a good time going back to school but their series won’t be returning to the Oxygen channel. The sitcom has been cancelled after two seasons.

Campus Ladies followed the exploits of two 40-something women who enrolled in college and tried to fit in with their younger classmates. Much of the show’s dialogue was improvised which isn’t surprising considering most of the cast are veterans of the respected Groundlings improv group. Guest actors on the series included Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle), Jason Alexander (Seinfeld), Paul Reubens (Pee-wee’s Playhouse), Fred Willard (Roseanne), Sean Hayes (Will & Grace), and Maya Rudolph (City of Angels).

Ladies was co-produced by Curb Your Enthusiasm’s Cheryl Hines and starred Christen Sussin and Carrie Aizley who also co-created the series. The sitcom has run for two seasons and a total of 20 episodes on Oxygen. Its understood that the series was cancelled because season two’s ratings were lower than the freshman year’s — likely due in large part to a drastic timeslot switch to 11pm on Tuesdays.

On his website, series co-star Amir Talai is philosophical about the cancellation and says, “We had a surprising number of fans given that Oxygen almost willfully sabotaged the show. But that too is in the past, and we will move on from that as well. Here too, I have made some friendships and connections that will last for a long time. And for fans of the show, you might be happy to know that Derek [Carter] (Mr. Drew) and I are actually very good friends in real life as well, and the cancellation of the show hasn’t changed that. And BTW, Campus Ladies is definitely coming out on DVD, but I don’t know when.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

65 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. jennifer bragg says

I can’t believe this is not coming back!!! THE most hilarious show I’ve ever seen. My husband, who NEVER watches TV would sit and watch this show, even tivo it for me! We both looked forward to the next escapade of Joan and Barri. It’s a show you talk about to your friends the next day. Please bring it back!!!

2. Jenny says

I have been wondering when the next season was going to start also! To hear it was cancelled is crazy. I’m not a big TV watcher to begin with, but the first time I saw this show I was hooked like many others. Oxygen will replay the Tyra Banks show every two minutes, but they couldn’t keep something this original and hilarious around?! Mindless people watching the incredibly “unreal” and “staged” reality shows rule the world and obviously the ratings. I never could understand why Campus Ladies was on at such an obscure day and time, when they could have a serious following by just a simple time slot move. So much for creativity and humor…everyone get in line and watch reality shows like the drones we have become.

3. EDDIE WRETCH says

Dear fellow “Campus Ladies” fans,
    I have sent a letter to Comedy Central in the hope that they will contact the producers of “Campus Ladies” and speak with them about the possibility of providing them with a third season of “Campus Ladies” on their network.

4. kim & Laura says

We loved this show so much!!!! We miss it, wish it was back and can’t wait for it to come out on DVD!!! WE talk about it all the time!!! GO HAYBAILERS!!!!!

5. Andrew says

Gee..another funny show cancelled to make room for more inane reality crap. Let’s put all the actors out of work so we can watch more moronic crap like Bad Girls. I guess creativity doesn’t matter anymore. Come on Oxygen, you don’t have that much original programming going on to cancel a show Like Campus Ladies.

6. kim says

I am so shocked that campus ladies is cancelled!!!!!!!!that totally ruins my life!!!!!that show was one of the funniest sitcoms i have ever watched!!!!!i dont think i will ever watch oxygen channel again!!!1

7. Kell says

Wow. This show convinced my boyfriend to watch Oxygen…I think he loved it more than I did. Unfrickin’believable that Oxygen canceled it. Like we need more room for that old lady to talk about sex. She doesn’t even understand the question half the time. I watched Joan and Barrie even at 11 p.m., the time change didn’t bother me. It was worth staying up for. Oxygen, you suck.

8. Ryan says

Camous Ladies was the funniest show on T.V. We got a lot of our friends hooked on the show, it’s seriously disturbing that it’s cancelled. A different channel (FX, HBO) should pick it up. I’ve never laughed harder watching a TV show.

9. iii says

THIS SUCKS! This show was one of the BEST SHOWS EVER! I get so annoyed when GOOD SHOWS are taken off and in this case for marathons of SNAPPED!

10. fran says

I suspected that Campus Ladies had been cancelled but was hoping I was wrong. Oxygen has made one bad programming decision after another – I don’t know who their audience is. This was a brilliantly funny show. What a loss.

11. christina says

If Oxygen would have promoted this show, put it in a decent time slot… everyone would be watching it! THE funniest show I have seen in years! But, everyone I would ask about it, had no idea it even existed. Once they watched “1” episode, they were hooked! This is sooo disappointing! :(