Cane: Does the Cast Know the Show’s Cancelled?

Hector Elizondo and Nestor CarbonellOne of the surest signs that a TV series won’t be renewed for another season is when the castmembers start taking other jobs. Not jobs at McDonalds or Office Depot, other acting gigs. Last year, long before The Nine was officially cancelled, principal actors from the show like Scott Wolf and Tim Daly signed on for other shows.

This season, this seems to be the case with Cane. Though many people love the show, all but the network agrees that its goose is cooked — seemingly even the cast.

Hector Elizondo, who plays patriarch Pancho Duque, has taken a job on USA Network’s Monk series. He’ll play Tony Shaloub’s new therapist, replacing the recently deceased Stanley Kamel. There’s no details on how change in therapist will be handled but Elizondo will make his first appearance on July 18th, the season seven premiere.

Theoretically, Elizondo might be able to do both series but its doubtful that CBS would agree to let one of its stars moonlight. Last fall, when CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler was asked if Nestor Carbonell (Cane’s Frank Duque) would be allowed to continue to put in occasional appearances on ABC’s Lost, she was clearly against him doing it.

Her point of view seems to have softened. Since Cane went on hiatus, Carbonell has filmed at least one episode of Lost, which will air next Thursday. Is this yet another indication that Cane is over? What do you think? TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

47 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Raul says

I had never in my whole life got into a tv series before like I did when I saw cane. I was so into it I even started missing work just to watch it. Then cbs desides to cancel it. WTF where you thinking? Do you know how many emmys it would of won for such a great show. Cbs do yourself a favor and get your all star player back before its to late.

2. Anonymous says

Sabrina A. from Carson, California
    I hope that the show is not cancel. I loved the show. It is a very exciting and interesting show. Don’t give up on it yet. It will be a great show.

3. says

I feel that this is a great lost to decend tv showings. I really loved the show and hope to see it return. Please find some way to bring this show back to life for us. It crosses the lines of race to show that we all, black, white, french, hispanic and etc. have talent a a story to be told as well as any other. I loved the show and will anticipate a return hopefully in the future.

4. Anonymous says

5. Rob says

Please bring back Cane….this is the best tv series I’ve ever seen and now you’ve left us hanging. At the very least…give us a final episode for closure.

6. Quinnie says

Sorry this is rather late in the day to make a comment, just found this site….Cane was a great show…had all the ingredients…for a great show and it was….so disappointed this has been dropped…the cast were absolutley first class…led by Hector Elizondo….you really have made a mistake here CBS….this show really had something going for it.

7. Ben says

I doubt we can hope for a season 2… but the least CBS could do is put out a nice Complete Series Boxed Set on DVD for those of us that loved the show. I have all the episodes stored in HD on my DVR and they’re taking up a lot of space.

In a related thought… I was sad to see Aaron Sorkin’s masterfully written Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip get cancelled… but I must say thank you to NBC for not taking too long in putting out the DVD.

Now, if they would only put the four seasons of Ed out on DVD. It was a great show…little drama…little funny…shouldn’t have been cancelled.

Well…that’s my two cents…

8. Stein says

Save Cane please… It’s a really good show..

Hope a second season will be made, but I think that’s asking too much. :(

All we can do is hope..

Best regards from Norway

9. anne says

It’s a shame when an mature exciting adult show isn’t recognized by the networks! We can only hope Cable would give it a chance!!!

10. Gene Colburn says

Cane – one of the best – in terms of art direction. lighting, color grading, sets, props,
    sound, script, direction etc. — across the board as perfectly done as any series could be. It’ss not surprising that its canceled. Of course what do I know. I only watch a few shows a week anyways.

11. says

I worked on all but 3 episodes of CANE.Needless to say,I loved the show to death and loved working with such a great cast.We all got along great and I was one of the core of 10 extras/actors who were brought back all the time.While it looked like Miami,we mostly flimed in Long Beach and Sierra Madre.I talked to Jonathon Prince who was the producer and he said there is no chance of us coming back.But it never hurts to try.We did the same thing for American Dreams,another show I was on,but nothing happened with that.But I am glad to see that so many people loved the show.
    It was hard work and we had to film a great deal since we all knew the WGA strike was coming,but it was worth it!!

Raul

12. joe says

Come on people , at least give it a go. Sign that petition and pass on the word. Theres not many signatures there.

13. Jo Johnson says

Hi we are avid Cane fans from across the pond……
    It had us glued to our sofas,but on the edge of our seats..Every episode delivered and you soon became part of the Duque family.
    Please bring back Cane, life is just not the same without it!!!

14. richard says

Cane was the best television show I have dilligently followed since Miami Vice and Crime Story. The story line and actors in Cane were incredibly passionate and amazingly believable! It is an outcry and shame to cancel this show considering the other garbage on air.

With such an enormous Latino population why would you? As a Latino I would hate to even think of pulling the ‘race card’ on someone over at CBS…???

What a shame!