CBS Announces Their 2008-09 Schedule. Who’s Been Cancelled?

Welcome to the CaptainCBS has released their new schedule for the 2008 – 2009 season. Some existing shows made it onto the list while, sadly, some favorites did not.

Returning on the fall schedule are 48 Hours, 60 Minutes, The Amazing Race, The Big Bang Theory, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, Ghost Whisperer, How I Met Your Mother, NCIS, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Numb3rs, Survivor, Two and a Half Men, The Unit, and Without a Trace.

Interestingly, Christine was “on the bubble” for some time and was poised to move to ABC if CBS had cancelled it. Not only did CBS renew the series but they also gave it a full 22 episode order. That’s a first for that sitcom. The other bubble sitcom, Rules of Engagement, will return to TV midseason.

New CBS shows include action-drama Eleventh Hour; an Elizabeth Reaser dramady, The Ex List; murder-mystery Harper’s Island (midseason); a Simon Baker drama called The Mentalist; a Jay Mohr/Paula Marshall sitcom titled Project Gary; and Kyle Bornheimer’s sitcom, Worst Week.

Sadly, all this means that we’ll be saying goodbye to a number of beloved shows from last season…

Cane — The Jimmy Smits drama just never caught on and has been off the air for months. There were 13 episodes produced and all have aired. The series finale was shown December 18, 2007.

Kid Nation — The adolescent reality show spurred a lot of controversy, until it actually hit the airwaves. The competition ran its course and all 13 episodes aired, the last one on December 12, 2007.

Jericho — After a miraculous campaign, CBS revived the series for seven episodes. Unfortunately, not enough people watched the show to warrant a third season. The last episode aired on March 25th.

Moonlight — A fan favorite that almost made it to season two. There’s a slim chance it may be revived elsewhere but it’s done on CBS. The finale airs this Friday, May 16th.

Power of 10 — The game show’s ratings paled compared to Drew Carey’s other primetime game show, the million dollar edition of The Price Is Right. Two of the 18 produced episodes never aired and it looks doubtful they ever will.

Shark — The James Woods series fell victim to demographics and ratings. Only 16 episodes were produced for season two and the last of them will be shown May 20th.

Welcome to the Captain — This sitcom couldn’t hook an audience right from the start. All five episodes have aired with the last one having been shown on March 3rd. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

TINA June 14, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I AM A 48 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER RAISING MY 10 YEAR OLD GRANDSON.
I THINK IN THIS DAY & TIME OF OUR DEPRESSING REALITY THE NETWORKS SHOULD SHOW OUR YOUTH MORE ABOUT THE VALUES AND VIRTUES OF THE PAST THAT HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN INSTEAD OF THIS GARBAGE THAT TEACHES NOTHING BUT HOW TO BUILD A BOMB OR HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER OR STEALING

Anonymous March 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm

SHARK WAS THE BEST!!!!

debbie February 4, 2009 at 8:30 pm

i cant belive shark is gone! just find it a decent time slot, lik wed nite or friday nite

laiovet February 1, 2009 at 8:27 am

we loved shark (james woods) in the philippines. at least finish the story of season 2. the 16 episodes did not give us closure

Anonymous January 6, 2009 at 9:41 pm

They canceled Kid Nation? To me it was actually one of their shows worth watching. It taught a lot to everyone, kids and adults alike. And plus so many people loved it. Seriously, CBS, put it back on the air. It would be a success. Better than putting these drama’s that really people could care less about in most cases.

Vera December 11, 2008 at 4:10 am

Please bring back Kid Nation! Please, please, please. It was the greatest reality show that I ever seen!
Can’t believe they cancel it. Too bad. Terrible.

cm.renfro November 14, 2008 at 9:49 pm

november,14.2008 10.00 pm.
i have watched and waited for cain,and shark to come back now i look this up to find you cancelled them i dont know why all my family members,and all my friends watched them regulary. i cant under stand why you would keep survivor,amazing race and even numbers over them. i hope some other net work will pick them up and bring them back.

arijana s November 11, 2008 at 6:51 pm

what a shame why cancel kid nation it was a great show that i have enjoyed watching .cbs is makeing a mistake. it is a great show that teachs leadership and how hard work help life .this is terrible and cbs kept some of the worst shows not even worth watching. im sure i will always remember this show and always hope that it will one day be brouht back .the kids who were in this show will always remember it and be grateful they were on it the show. it strenghend them. im sure these kids will be upset their show was canceled because it was life changing and upset nobody else will ever get the same chance.

Anonymous November 4, 2008 at 1:02 pm

PLEASE BRING BACK KID NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our whole family has been waiting for the 2nd season to start. It has been a big let down that it wont be aired anymore.

Anonymous October 15, 2008 at 2:19 pm

I cannot believe that “Shark” has been cancelled. It was my favourite show and looked forward to it every week. Everyone I know is baffled by this. James Woods and the rest of the cast were fabulous. Will the decision be re-considered?

tess October 12, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Y is kidnation canceled? i heard there was some child labor law questions, that mexico asked and people thought the kids were being abused because some kids drank bleach and one kid burned her face.
is this true?

magmastar October 8, 2008 at 6:27 pm

WHAT! What about Kid Nation?! Why is it CANCELED?!!??!!??!?

Judy September 15, 2008 at 1:47 pm

I cant believe Shark and Moonlight have been cancelled..Thats horrible.Why keep the reality shows that are worthless and Old Christine??? I cant believe anyone could be interested in any of those…Guess some networks have no taste!!!!!!!!!!!

angie September 8, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Very few show entertain me because they are all the same, but I loved moonlight and to find out that it has been cancelled really ticks me off. I have been sitting here wondering why I spend all this money for a TV and service when nothing entertaining is on anymore. Who hires all these people to keep safe and boring shows on TV. What happen to the flare of adventure and good TV these days. I really hope another networks picks it up. Maybe I’ll keep my TV then.

Anna September 1, 2008 at 5:50 pm

You know what, I don’t think that I will watch any pilot shows. I’ll wait and see what thw dumb executives choose to keep on and maybe I’ll find onw to get vested in… or not. It is so disappointing to get involved in a show and have it cancelled on a whim. Cane was one of the best new drama’s in a long time. It reminded me of a time gone by when TV was entertaining not just dumb ass reality shows. What a shanme.