CBS Moves The Defenders and Blue Bloods; Help or Hurt?

The DefendersCBS is planning to switch a couple of their freshman dramas around for midseason. Blue Bloods, which currently airs on Friday nights at 10pm, will move to Wednesdays at 10pm beginning January 19th. The Defenders will shift from Wednesdays at 10pm to Fridays at 8pm beginning February 4th (filling cancelled Medium’s timeslot).

On Friday nights, Blue Bloods has been averaging a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 11.22 million viewers. While that’s a lot of total viewers, the demo numbers are about what Numb3rs was averaging last season, before CBS cancelled it. The move to Wednesday nights will likely show the network whether or not the series is capable of doing better in the demo department. It’ll have four weeks in the timeslot before heading back to Fridays at 10pm on February 11th. Spin-off Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior takes over the Wednesday night slot on February 16th.

Things haven’t been looking too good for The Defenders and the move to Friday nights isn’t exactly a vote of confidence. You may recall that CBS ordered just five additional episodes in October, bringing the first season total to just 18 installments.

Defenders has averaged a 2.2 in the 18-49 demo and 10.02 million total viewers. It premiered at a 2.9 rating and has fallen as low as a 1.8 in the demo. Of CBS’ 18 scripted series, it currently ranks 15th, not far above Blue Bloods which has already been airing on little-watched Fridays.

What do you think? Will this move help or hurt these shows’ chances for season two? What do you think the end result will be?

Karen February 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Please stop messing with the schedule of Blue Bloods. It is a very good show and I will watch or make sure I tape it so I do mot miss it. It shows family values and despite what police must deal with when on shift, this show does not throw out the cursing or get to gory or graphic when they show a murdered victim. Great show and hope it is around for awhile!

Kathleen Gerth February 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Fridays at 8pm is not a good time for the defenders, too many distractions; dinner, cleaning up, family conversations. Wednesdays at ten pm was an ideal time to sit down and watch the show. Jerry O’onnell and Jim Belushi play so well off each other. My friends and I enjoy this show. We hope you give it a chance.

Blue Bloods, Wow a show without bedhoppers, four letter words,fresh and disrespectful kids, cut up women and men. Actual dialogue. Family values, respect for each other. Strong personalities who sometimes do not agree but care for each other. What chance did it have to succeed.

Hollywood had to find and hire writers that can produce more then four letter words and create scenes without womans boobs and men facing urinals.

Please give this program an opportunity to find its audience. We are out here hoping for the return of quality tv.

Debra February 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Blue Bloods and Defenders are entertaining, well acted, and well written. I watch both of them every week. All of television does not have to appeal to the 20 somethings. It is nice to have Selleck and Belushi in weekly shows. Hopefully, CBS will not cancel two of their best shows.

Paul Vogelzang February 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Love these two lawyers and the rest of the cast, including Jurnee Smollett, are awesome! Keep the show!! Great family messages!!!

Judie Nauman February 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Leave Blue Bloods alone. It’s a good show with a good cast. With all the awful stuff that continues year after year, there’s finally something worth watching. My husband and I look forward to it every week.

Ginna February 12, 2011 at 3:10 am

To all of CBS you will be making a huge mistake in my opinion if you cancel either Blue Bloods or Defenders, they are great shows and it’s about time. Why are you bringing another (criminal minds suspect behavior) to television like we need more shows on TV about what seriously mentally ill people do to other people, just give them more ideas why don’t you. The orginal criminal minds has been getting more graphic and and horrific since CBS first showed it, honestly you don’t need another. Thank you for giving us all the ability to leave comments.

fran February 10, 2011 at 11:17 am

leave blue bloods alone great show -you always mess up what is goodleaveit alone forget the demos or what ever many people enjoy this show great cast

Angela February 5, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Why are all the great shows on the verge of canceling? Would the powers- that- be please give educated and creative people the Nielson boxes! We are loses great shows to stupid people.

Anonymous February 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm

We love the defenders! Everyone we know does too! I will certainly be very disappointed if it is cancelled. Bad move to Friday CBS.

Kiwibaby February 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I love the Defenders. I never miss it. I don’t care which night it’s on, just don’t cancel it please!

Jessica February 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm

They should leave them alone!! I love the defenders! I don’t want it to be canceled. Friday means death to a lot of shows!! Everyone keep watching your favorite shows even though they are on friday..put your dvr on!

kokanutlover January 31, 2011 at 7:30 pm

LUV the show, keep it going. The two lawyers are AWSOME together as well as the rest of the crew……Great show an enjoy watching……..BRING IT BACK

RedBaron January 30, 2011 at 7:55 pm

My wife and I love ‘The Defenders’ and the messages it brings. Do not cancel the show.

PAM January 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Excellent show, but now I can’t watch it. My days off are Wednesday and I work the afternoon shift. Please put it back to Wednesdays!!!

zeek January 26, 2011 at 11:47 am

Keep the show The Defenders on Wednesdays, shows great!