CBS Ratings Race: Is The Mentalist Doing Well? Will It Be Cancelled?

The Mentalist to be cancelled?This season, CBS moved The Mentalist from Thursdays to Sunday nights, into (cancelled) CSI: Miami’s former timeslot. This move understandably made fans very nervous.

The Mentalist’s ratings have taken a serious hit this season. The premiere represented one of the worst showings in the series’ history and the numbers for subsequent episodes have dropped even lower.

CBS will surely take football over-runs into consideration when considering the show’s fate but it’s worth noting that CSI: Miami’s ratings were also impacted by football — and performed better. In its last season, Miami averaged a 2.1 rating with 9.85 million. That’s significantly better than The Mentalist’s current season average below.

What do you think? Will The Mentalist be cancelled this season? Share your comments below.

Here are the CBS season averages as of Thursday, November 8, 2012:

pages
Survivor: Philippines 2.9 (2.88) 10.34 cycle 25 ratings
60 Minutes 2.7 (2.67) 13.73 season 45 ratings
The Amazing Race 2.6 (2.57) 9.55 cycle 21 ratings
Undercover Boss 1.5 (1.50) 7.96 season 4 ratings
48 Hours 1.0 (0.96) 4.67 season 26 ratings

These charts incorporate the daily final CBS show ratings (reported by Nielsen) and are sorted by the 18-49 demographic. Network advertisers typically prize those viewers most and so will pay more to reach them. There’s lots of information that the networks take into consideration when cancelling or renewing a TV series but the ratings are the biggest factor. The higher the ratings, the better chance that the show will be renewed. And yes, they take it into account when a show airs on a Friday or Saturday night.

For the status of your favorite CBS shows, check out this page.

Want more posts like this? Here are the other networks: ABC | The CW | FOX | NBC

Serena November 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Can you tell me if the rumor of a confirmed sixth season is true?

admin November 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I haven’t heard that at all.

Bal November 15, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I really enjoy The Mentalist. It is a brilliant show, with great character development. I don’t think CBS should cancel it – it is in a tough spot on Sunday nights, but we on the west coast are not as affected by that. It is one of the most unique story lines I’ve seen – we’ve got to let it finish with grace!

Ben November 15, 2012 at 1:37 am

The Mentalist jumped the shark at the end of season 3 and has been treading water ever since. I hope this is the last season and the Red John story is finally wrapped up.

Ford November 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

If CBS cancels the show after moving it then I will cancel my viewing of CBS. Other than football, I don’t watch CBS shows anyway. But moving it to the worst spot on the calendar is basically saying F U to its fans.

Mentalistphann November 13, 2012 at 10:23 am

NOBODY knew the show was moving to Sunday nights. If you like this show, but have children, its really difficult to get to watch it, and try to get going for the school week. At least on Thursday, it was okay because the kids lightest day is Friday, so not as much to do for them. Gave me much better opportunity to watch. CBS truly picked the worst night of the week to drop a GREAT show with a truly unique character in Patrick Jane. I love the current storyline, but if CBS wants this show to hit it’s stride, like a, “24” did with its unique character in Jack Bauer, then they better move it to an easier night of the week.

Ford November 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

I cannot even DVR it without starting at 10pm and ending at 12 pm. That is ridiculous. They basically cancelled the show after last season, but allowed it one more year to end the Red John case. In fact, I would not be surprised if the end of season 3 (for which I read that CBS was not happy) contributed to a negative feeling at CBS.

No show, no CBS. Fans should write to CBS before it is too late and tell them the same thing:

Brian November 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm

It’s start time is moving around from 10pm to 10:30pm on on Sunday night. Gee, I wonder why it’s ratings suck?

John November 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I’ve everyday airing of The Mentalist since season 1 in 2008. Please don’t cancel the show it’s been a long journey and we are ever so close to catching the elusive serial killer, Red John.

Babs November 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm

The Mentalist is my favorite show and the only show I watch regularly. I’m already angry at CBS for moving it to Sunday night so if they cancel it this soon I may never watch CBS again. I hope it goes for two or three more years at least. The storylines, the cast, the writers, everything is amazing. Please keep it on!

Georgia November 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS — PLEASE KEEP IT ON! I’d follow this show to any night that it’s on. Personally, I like it being on after the Good Wife. Both are great shows!

Nicole November 12, 2012 at 1:49 pm

This is my favorite show on TV and I certainly hope it doesn’t get cancelled!

Nick November 12, 2012 at 9:15 am

Why is 60 Minutes under The Amazing Race if TAR has a 2.57 average and 60 Minutes has a 2.67 average?

admin November 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Thanks for catching that. Fixed.

primetimeblabber November 12, 2012 at 8:08 am

CSI NY should have been the one cancelled…..CSI Miami had better ratings….CSI NY has seen bad ratings this season….I do not see CSI NY being renewed….

Tlh45 November 12, 2012 at 7:48 am

I have watched a couple of episodes this season and honestly can’t say that I enjoyed them. I have lost interest in it. Even Hawaii Five O rarely has a decent episode. I like Criminal Minds and CSI NY. I hope the keep them.

Weng November 12, 2012 at 6:27 am

Would be crazy if they do allow it to be cancelled. One of the most entertaining shows with a trully excellent cast. Every character is marvelously built and the chemistry is amazing. The plot with Red John is getting hotter and it is very promising!

Tajoe77 November 12, 2012 at 12:52 am

I truly hope it doesn’t get cancelled:( Love this show and watch every Sunday since it started its season:) Keep it on!!!