CBS Shifting Schedule to Allow for Long Football Games

CBS football scheduleIf those ridiculous sports over-runs drive you crazy and mess up your DVR recordings on Sunday nights, CBS may have a solution this fall.

On game days, the network will be shifting the official start time of the Sunday night shows by one half hour in the Eastern and Central time zones. This will stretch the network’s programming to 11:30pm on those nights but should eliminate or minimize the possibility of DVR recordings cutting off mid-show.

According to Deadline, CBS has resisted changing its schedule lettings shows like 60 Minutes, The Amazing Race, The Good Wife, and The Mentalist simply follow immediately after the games.

The NFL’s recent shifting of the kickoff time of the late afternoon games from 4:15pm to 4:25pm prompted the network’s decision.

One would like to think that the consistent outcry from frustrated viewers also played into the decision just a bit.

What do you think? Do you think this will help? Is a half hour delay enough? What would you do?

Canceled and renewed TV show

8 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

We’re really ticked of. This has happened twice now- half of the Mentalist cut off. A good show that many people follow religiously. Don’t take us for granted and screw this show up.
    Sometimes I think these network people have crap for brains. I can’t use the language that is on the tip of my tongue, but we’re madder than hell.

2. Joe sterich says

I have found this to be a bad solution. The past two weeks my scheduled recording of the mentalist was cut off (30 min and 10 min). I think this is going to leave many viewers to frustrated to come back and will kill the mentalist.

3. william Bruce says

I don’t believe it is enough. They also would shorten 60 minutes on occasion. Put Amazing race on Mondays, move Comedies to Sunday.

4. Why Watch says

An easier solution would have been to run a shortened version of 60 Minutes. I’m not going to switch over on the 1/2 hour to watch something on CBS when I’m halfway into another show.

5. Jeremy Rynek says

It’ll help, but sometimes it’s overran for more than an hour, but it should help, hell, if they thought about this last year, we might have gotten an 11th season of CSI Miami, but it’s too late now.

6. Craig says

I have found that a half hour gets in most football games. However, I always add an extra hour onto the end of football games. Then I also put in a special Tivo recording to make sure I capture any shows that get pushed back.